• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2014 running EXTREMELY slow on brand new 6 Core Mac Pro with 64Gbs of Ram. This can't be right :(

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just picked up a brand new 6 core Mac Pro and I am having some serious lag issues with Illustrator CC 2014. I am just trying to select relatively simple objects (an illustration of the side of a coin) and there is a massive delay between when I click on an object and when it actually becomes selected.

Someone please tell me they know how to fix this? Please

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

My company recently "upgraded" my OS to Windows 8.1. (from a pre-Windows 8 OS) and I am now experiencing terrible performance when using Illustrator CC 2014. (2014.1.0 release   -   18.1.0 (64 bit)). Most problematic is that every 5-10 seconds the entire screen goes black (not responding) for 3 seconds. I had a similar problem with Illustrator CS a year or so ago - I solved that problem by turning off auto-updating linked files. So, I'm suspicious that this problem also has something to do with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree  - running at the pace of a dead  snail! In fact I think it died twice!

Extremely frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been struggling with this slowness for days, and I have 20G RAM and i7 2.4Gh CPU Performance and memory are not being maxed out, quite the opposite actually...

Illustrator is slower than Id or Ps. Ps actually has no problems. I think something is going on with linking files - I'm working with very simple rectangles and lines with no effects, but using a lot of linked photos from my work's server. I packaged each artboard and that seemed to help - including copying all fonts each time, but this didn't help much. Saving still taking forever even though I'm working 100% locally. Opening and closing the file is faster. Hope that helps some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large art board and an intricate vector pattern repeated a few times. Every simple manipulation of any object brings up the beach ball on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB. WTF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

makes no sense, I am running on a 1gb, atom 1.8 GHz intel HD graphics 7ich display tablet, running smooothhhhh with lots of objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which O.S. you are using? probably Windows 7 which Illustrator CC works just fine. Our problem is Illustrator CC and Indesign CC running on Yosemite, there are severe bugs. However rest of the CC apps like Photoshop and Dreamweaver works great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 yo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2015 Mar 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will these Yosemite/Illustrator CC bugs be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same machine as OP and same issues.

Is anyone from Adobe reading this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. WHEN will Illustrator CC be usable on Yosemite? This is so ridiculous!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2015 Apr 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i got the same problem running cc14 on an old mac pro

2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

14 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Yosemite 10.10.3

i have to postpone the perchace of the new mac pro until this is resolved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

replying to my own post

now i got the new pac pro:

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC

OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

using photoshop, Aperture, iMovie, Final Cut Pro and some 3D games it works like a monster on steroids but when it comes to illustrator it gets frustrating.

i tried every suggestion on this chat, from other chats and from multiple phone calls to the adobe support, in the end i got some improvement but its still frustrating.

after years of working with adobe this is the first time i'm disappointed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem huge expectations of cc are now reduced to this reality

cannot open files - need to quit and restart illustrator

cannot place files - quit restart

so much lag on everything its like is this a joke have adobe really released somthing and marketed this next big thing and after taking the plunge the pool is dry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok found a fix I think still to test but while i have the fresh links in my browser go here

https://www.java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp?locale=en

and if you use chrome follow the instructions

if i dont post back it was fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever installing this java version did it helped massively on my lag issues, hopefully it will stay stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after the two fixes above in illustrator cc Im still experiencing

file open - nothing happens

file place nothing happens

fix - quit illustrator and restart - open file from the folder lol

PS CC

A wierd warning popping when I want to open a file nothing opens just the warning

fix quit out and start again

for those of you out there in yur 40s and this is your career you started like me on photoshop 2 or 3 on an lc 6/100 60 and even on the quadras lol

this is the first time Ive had seen so many bugs in adobe software

why I bought it the curve tool astute dont have a curve tool and I work alot with them and the funky title branding it looks cool visual consumer glutton lol

so yeah now going to look at how to stop my monthly subscription  will proabably have to go to that forum next lol

an d evert back to CS6 im outputting to many jobs to have these hold ups

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now i'm having more problems than before >:

1. app is slow

2. if i go to the desktop when i'm saving it crashes

3. can't see some windows such as appearances and brushes and more...

4. the swatches window is stuck and i can't choose colours from it

me and my staff are very frustrated

anybody can recommend other application instead of adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with everyone here - I have been using Illustrator since Day 1 and I have never seen such sluggish performance - I'm sure it will be fixed but wouldn't they test these versions before they put them out there? And I have lots of fonts open and use multiple windows and copy and paste all kinds of stuff - I am a POWER user - all of the time - and have been for years and years and have always run my Mac and apps the same way. The CC2014 version is making me insane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just awful, Adobe are you listening??????

AMD A16700- 4191MHz Core speed

18 GB RAm

AMD R9 270x Graphics

So slow with objects with multiple points that I can't finish this job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing the same problem since a Java update. Now it is limited only in one specific document which could mean settings, size, etc. Whatever the trouble is the problem makes working impossible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here, on my desk and lap top. Lots of RAM new graphics card. ADOBE????  I can't use Illustrator to make complex vector art, so what good is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate CC right now!!! I agree with everyone's frustrations. I am trying to meet my deadlines and this is driving me crazy. SLOOOOOOOOOOW AAAAAAAAS MOOOOOOOOLAAAAAAAAAASAS! Come on Adobe???? Where are you?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2015 May 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had numerous phone calls to the adobe support team and every time they had a deferent suggestion:

1. Pause file sync

2. Delete the adobe preferences folder

3. Delet plugins

4. Valdate the fonts in the font book

5. Work on local hard drive

so far nothing helped

i'm delaying a perches of a new mac until i find solution to this problem and i'm considering switching to another application.

hope the guys in adobe grasp the magnitude of this problem before its too late

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's disgusting...I'm doing a 2 page newsletter that I do EVERY week and this week I can literally set the file to save, walk to starbucks and back and it's still saving....the overall file size is 6 mb....not a big file...what did you do Adobe! taking a 1/2 hour to save a small file is insane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing vector T-shirt files with small geometrics about 6 MB and

it sux. Upgraded to a super graphics card, new power supply 18 GB RAM,

still no go. I use a PC.

Missing Fonts didn't help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To those who still have slow illustrator problem, one solution that worked for me was this: http://palindrome.com/support/2013/10/27/illustrator-cc-issue-slow-due-to-missing-fonts/

I paste here what it says:

If you expe­ri­ence prob­lems oper­at­ing Illus­tra­tor CC, such as:

slow open­ing,

slow sav­ing,

dif­fi­culty mov­ing objects, and

an inabil­ity to nor­mally quit the application,

then the likely cause is not hav­ing a needed font open, or hav­ing a con­flict between needed fonts.

The most com­mon fonts miss­ing or con­flict­ing are Tahoma and Ver­dana. These fonts are often present as part of

an old Microsoft Office instal­la­tion. Try remov­ing them from the /Library/Fonts/Microsoft folder, and restart Illus­tra­tor.

In some cases you may also need to open Font Book and reac­ti­vate these fonts after remov­ing the conflicts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines