Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2017 Extremely slow

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When i update the illustrator to latest version CC 2017 i got some issue with the performance ,

the CC 2017 is very slow on Windows 10 and he lagging my mouse the windows also,

note: i was try CC 2017 on iMac without any issue and working fine,

my PC specs:

Intel Xeon W3520

12 GB Ram

GeForce 750Ti

Thanks,

Wael.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Problem solved, Just Update to version 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue on my Windows 10 machine.

After about 10 minutes of opening Illustrator it slows down my entire computer and the longer I leave it - the worse it gets.

To the point that it becomes unusable.

As soon as I quit Illustrator my computer goes back to normal - normal being extremely fast.

This machine runs everything else without any issues (aside from the well documented issue with the text editor in PS CC 2017 - which is also a major bug you need to fix)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.4GHz Broadwell-E 6 Core

Memory: 32GB RAM DDR4

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

SSD: 960GB

Why is it I can run a computer game at ultra resolution and have great frame rates with zero lag, but I can't change a font in Photoshop or edit a colour in Illustrator without my machine freezing?

Will this be addressed or will we continue to be ignored whilst we pay for this inferior product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has plagued me since cc 2016. I run illustrator on a laptop with a core i7-6700HQ, 16 GB RAM with Nvidia 960m Graphics card. The longer the app is open, the slower my computer gets, especially with a lot of copy pasting across files. Another funny thing is if I open a illustrator file directly, illustrator will fail to use GPU acceleration, it will run on my CPU instead. But if I start the app from the cloud first, then opening a file, GPU acceleration works fine. This is a problem when I work outside with no internet connection,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having these issues too - very consistently since last year. I think each update will solve the issue, but to no avail.

After contacting Adobe customer service on this, they recommended resetting preferences. This works for about a few minutes, and then it gets slow. They then suggested increasing the amount of virtual memory allocated. I did, and this seemed to help consistently.

However this week, the problems have come back. This is even after I upgraded from a Quadro 5000 with 2GB VRAM to a Geforce 1060 with 3GB VRAM. Outside of that my comps been the same - 16GB RAM, an i7 CPU, and no other program gives me this problem. Games never run poorly. PhotoShop runs impeccably. Unfortunately, since I went too long without responding (since the virtual memory thing seemed to do the trick for a few days), Adobe closed my ticket and I have to start all over.

I'm reinstalling Illustrator CC 2014 as I'm typing this, and if that works, I'll stay on it until Adobe acknowledges this issue is systemic to their newer builds, and not a matter of flushing preferences, or computers being too old, or anything of the sort. I wish it would work, but I'm at a loss for what to do any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issues are on this other forum:

Illustrator CRITICAL Nvidia card bug

Adobe should address this problem and comment officially. It is now on so many different forums...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having this issue make sure your 2017 Illustrator has been updated using the cloud application. There were some NVIDIA card issues addressed in the last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue with CC2015.x CC2017 and CC2014. I tried 3 different videos cards, I switched motherboard once, I had 2 technicians look into. I have made every latest upgrade available. I re-installed Windows 10 4 times.... Still buggy and crashing. The latest patch in the beta from last week did the same. I have been a use of Illustrator since version 5.0 back in 1994... This slowness is not normal. I tried 4 different computers... same problem on 3 machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your issue likely then is different  that the Nvidia card bug which comes for having a very new Nvidia card, that came out after 2017 was originally released.

Sounds like something is wrong with you cloud account. Can you tell me when exactly you experience slow response times, such as during saving, new document. Have you uninstalled Illustrator on the other computers. You can only have this on a secondary computer and going past that could have corrupted you OOBE.

Adobe end-user license agreements FAQ​

Adobe is not very helpful with the OOBE, but try this

On Windows

Exit Creative Cloud app & all Adobe apps

remove the opm.db file located here: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently use a Nvidia GTX 970. I tried a GTX 1060 and a Radeon RX 480. I did those test about 3-4 months ago. I had to return the cards as it wasn't working. And I did a re-install of Windows 10 on this machine.

The videos I sent to Adobe the other day are showing exactly the problem I am having, I did a video screen recording. Are you working for Adobe? I sent those to ShareWithAI@adobe.com

I don't think anything is wrong with my account: the same thing is happening with 3 computers I tried here at home.

Anyway her are the video recordings that I sent to Adobe showing the several problems with the test file:

2- the Illustrator file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvbaxeytr1w74wv/Test_GPU_patch.ai?dl=0

3- my video recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMXPEolphHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1gvkei81Q

4- These are additonal bugs... with Wacom tablet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmUjmuxw224&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tOtN349EJY

One last thing: I did twice some sessions with Adobe and VPN and it didn't work better. The last time, it was even worst, they moved some files around... it was worst after... And my computer had to be reformatted after 2 weeks.

And the last time I called, I was told to call Microsoft... as they couldn't help the .dll files inside Photoshop folder. Anyway, the Microsoft technician was surprised and told me that they were not the people to reach to fix Adobe's problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting the video and your file. I tested the file with cyan squares on my computer and no problems. Very sorry that you have been dealing with this for so long.

Your 2 videos are typical problems I would get on the Windows platform, and why after over 15 years of running both platforms I got tired of removing unwanted software from my recently installed programs and cleaning out my MSConfig and Hkeys and went to Mac only. My Microsoft suite ran fine on windows, but Adobe software seems to get affected by this massive amount of trackers, trojan horses, data miners, etc out there and a huge majority are designed to run on windows. Though I lost my digieffects suite, hollywood FX which ran on windows only, I got my life back not having to fix my computer so often. The are flash updaters out there which use the Adobe logo, and got to an address that is adobe.xxx.com, unless the the URL is xxx.adobe.com do not click on the install.

This could possibly be a problem with your account, since you say this is happening on more than one computer, and I assume you are logging in with the same account. Did you try and flush your OOBE? Go through your apps and identify anything suspicious, and google that. How To View Recently Installed Programs/Apps In Windows 10. 

Also go tot the privacy tab of you browser (most of the major ones) and delete your cookies, just make sure you have your usernames and passwords backed up before you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

I don't download random pseudo Adobe update... I always carefully read what is the browser address. Even so that Nigerian prince told me I would get $1,000,000 if I do so...

Anyway, my hard drive was reformatted and wiped out by a technician 10 days ago, and a fresh reinstall of Windows 10. The first apps I installed were Adobe Cloud. And immediately the same old problems occurred. So I strongly doubt that any other software was installed.

I have not tried to remove or flush my OOBE since it is a new fresh install. I did looked into all the installed apps, and it's clean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing wrong with your file. You either have a hardware or a software problem on your setup. If you reformatted your computer that  flushed your OOBE .dat file & others, just not sure 100% how that works and if the same corruption can be downloaded.

Run some tests on your Ram, try running without you wacom driver and keep an eye out for Nvidia driver updates.

Good luck as that Nigerian prince can get ahold of you even by going to windowsupdate.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here slow performance , running on i7-4500U, 12GB RAM, Nvidia GT 740M, Win10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved, Just Update to version 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the windows 10 to 8.1 or installing a preview version of illustrator because i am using a pc of 2.2 ghz, i3, 4gb ram and its working fine. I had the same problem as you with an i7 pc, 8gb ram, but it wasnt untill someone stole it from me that i had to try on this old pc. you can download an older verdion of illustrator by going on "all apps" "previews versiond" on th creative cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced lags and crashes. Reinstalled Illustrator - but problem appeared again.

Couple days ago I've installed Quick from GoPro - so I uninstall it - and Wow! All is back to normal... I hope)))

A year ago Apple Cloud (on Windows) was somehow affecting Illustrator, now this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi people, try this.

After you start AI and before open any document disable GPU performance in settings and test, it works good on CC 2015.3 may work on this version as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here -  I just updated Illustrator from 2015.5 to 2017 -and instantly I had speed and performance issues. Just took about 10 full seconds to save a 1.5" simple vector sticker. My computer is certainly powerful enough and all was great before I updated. Uggh! I will try disabling GPU as suggested above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liliy,

What OS are you on? Is there any activity of downlaoding in your Adobe Cloud panel? Some corruption could have been introduced during your update.

RESET CLOUD OOBE

Mac

Quit Illustrator & Creative Cloud (go to cloud icon on top right, click on gear icon, quit)

Mac Finder >> Shift Command G

enter: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE

Move your OOBE folder somewhere (eg: desktop)

Windows

Exit Creative Cloud app

remove the opm.db file located here: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE

or

CLOUD CACHE MAC

Finder >> Command+Shift+G

~/Library/Caches/CloudKit/

Trash: CloudKitMetadata, CloudKitMetadata-shm, CloudKitMetadata-wal

or

Reset your preferences.

Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Shift when restarting AI on a Mac or Alt-Crtl-Shift on a PC to reset to the defaults.

More thorough Reset your preferences.

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 21 Settings/en_US*/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

rename Adobe Illustrator 21 to Adobe Illustrator 21 old

Reset your other preferences

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 21/

rename Adobe Illustrator 21 to Adobe Illustrator 21 old

Press Win+R -> appdata -> Roaming -> Adobe -> rename folder Adobe Illustrator 20 (or 21) Settings to any other name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having the same problem here.  I work a lot on Premiere and Aftereffects which I think are much heavier files and its very smooth, but when it comes to Illustrator there is a very noticeable lag.  Even when nothing else is running and I reset preferences when I start  up.

Windows 10

Intel Xeon Processor 2.10GHz

Nvidia Geforce GTX1070

32gb Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem. When I upgraded my Illustrator to CC 2017... So slow!

Works better only maybe the first 5-10 minutes and then so laggy. Even my mouse and other softwares became slow!

Open folder, too.

I am using ASUS X550VX which is a Multimedia + Gaming laptop.

Windows 10 64bit

i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 950

My RAM is 16 GB and everything works smooth. Only Illustrator!

GUI turned off, Scratch Disk C and D (I use Primary and Secondary). At first, better. But later so laggy again...

So, now I am using my Illustrator CS6 again. So smooth, so light, etc. Love it.

Sometime I use InDesign CC 2017 to design something like simple vector because it's more light than Illustrator.

Maybe later I will try to learn Corel Draw X8, too.

Please fix this. Thank you.

Best Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitively Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator (even sometimes Indesign) CC 2017 are useless... I'm writing it while I'm waiting for Illustrator to start... 3 minutes and counting. I'm in a 2013 Dell with enough RAM and hard disk to work even with complex 3D renderings.

Since 2017 update everything goes slow... I have always more than 20 Adobe processes running together, taking amounts of memory (Why these 8 instances of Adobe CEP HTML Engine running?, or those cores, clouds, brokers, libraries, sync, etc, etc, etc, services?)

Simply I'm feeling I've come back to the 90's, when the most simpler task in any design software needed minutes of process and render in screen. No more intuitive work... usual tasks freezes the program or takes forever.

The worst problem is that we are captive users, with tons of files in the latest CC formats, needing to export to older versions and install older CC's or even no-CC programs to work.

Obviously, I haven't read any official explanation about it... simply rushing ahead in the form of more and more utilities in each update. I would comeback happily to CorelDraw... but it is even worse in its unintuitive and outdated user interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which iMac did you run it on that performed well? We are on this config and it's unbearably slow, it's ridiculous:

MBP w/ touch bar 2016 (I7 2,9, Radeon 460 4Gb)

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4

Illustrator 2017.1.0 (we tried slightly earlier versions as well)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the same on opening and closing/saving files. Even a simple file with one line of text.

macOS Sierra

CC 2017

RAM and CPU out the wazzu on a fairly new iMac (bought in 2015).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping that this will resolve with the next update of Sierra and CC. We were first thinking this was related to the higher retina-resolution as we are coming from a 2012 MBP without retina that runs the same software config super smoothly. Right now we are just hoping for an update…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL,

Best to start your own post, as though misery loves company, we need to get more detail about what you symptoms and setup to help you as there is not one answer that fixes all systems.

Gavin,

Have you tried to reset your OOBE & Cloud Cache as in my post 31. That resolves the serialization checks that get bogged down by corrupted and large sized databases.

Monty,

What graphic card do you have? Does Comamdn E help?

Stephen,

That 460 card has been having some trouble especially when GPU preview is off in outline mode. Adobe Illustrator Outline View VERY slow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines