• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC: how do I change the artboard colour?

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is frustrating.

No matter how I set the interface preferences, when I make a new artboard, that artboard is white.

The brain-dead workaround to this is to put a rectangle the colour I want on a locked background layer and make it the same size as my artboard, but this turns "Shift+O, drag" into "Shift+O, drag, M, drag, set desired fill colour, deselect rectangle, restore previous fill colour and tool and selection."

It seems like there should be an interface option somewhere that lets me set the colour of new artboards, but the only guidance I can find on setting the artboard colour says to use "simulate coloured paper." Simulating coloured paper is not setting the colour of your artboard. It is simulating the way ink always lets some of the paper colour show through.

I do not want my artboard to show through. I simply want it to be a different colour. When I press Shift+O and drag out a new artboard, I want that artboard to be the same colour. If I decide I would like a different colour, I want to change a single setting somewhere and have the colours of all artboards in the document change at once.

I cannot find any setting for this in the interface. Am I missing something, or is it just not there?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

It's just the way it is. If you want all your artboards to share the same color, create a giant rectangle that covers the entire work area, then all artboards will share the same base color. Change the color on all layers by changing the color of the single rectangle. Or you could use a global color and change the global color build in the swatch panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2024 Oct 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines