• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC keeps crashing

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New subscriber. All of a sudden today Illustrator crashes while I'l working in it. Using drawing tools, selecting, moving just all of a sudden "unexpectedlly quits"

Please advise I got a brand new iMac and subsribed the other day hopeing to finally avoid crashes. My files are large color intensive but still shouldn't be a problem what I'm doing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This deletion worked perfectly, app opens 500% faster and quits on a dime without beaching at me! TYTYTY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, Illustrator just quits after 5 minutes or so. When turning of GPU acceleration it works fine. Above solutions do not work for me.

Got a system with El Capitan and CC, all newest versions and drivers and only Illustrator crashes (Photoshop, Animate, Premiere all works smoothly).

Of course I want my 400 euro Graphics Card (970gtx Nvidea) to work smoothly with Illustrator as well. On 3840x2160 you want Illustrator to use that GPU!

A lot of people having the same problems, what's going on Adobe? I emailed you yesterday, hope to hear from you soon. I will post that reply on this forum, in case it is useful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My CC illustrator is crashing on startup also. Why has'nt adobe answered this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2016 Mar 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Happens mostly when I'm zooming in and out or moving across the artboard and has been going on for a few weeks. Tried restarting illustrator and my computer. In my opinion I shouldn't have to do any of these other intensive workarounds... it should just work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I zooming in and out my illustrator got crash. And now I will try to update my nvidia. hope it will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Illustrator CC is also now crashing! Everytime I hit Cmd + C (copy).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I struggled with the issue for some time.  I tried many of the suggestions.  The one suggestion regarding the GPU acceleration made a difference.  My GPU acceleration was originally turned off.  When I turned it on - the issue was solved.  Investigating further I noticed that the GPU acceleration is tied to the graphics card.  Coincidentally, I replaced my old graphics card with a new NVIDIA GeForce.  I should have known better, "has something changed on your computer since last working?"  "No, oh wait maybe a new card and video driver."   And of course software updates to an app like Illustrator can never make an impact to performance   But maybe something has changed if it was working OK before...good luck.  Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks ! I Just realise i have also a nvidia GeForce Card and i didn't upgrade the driver for a long time now ! I didn't realize sooner since at school we have Mac ! Good night!

Sent from my Windows Phone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say that the update of my Nvidia graphic card also resolved the issue !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe Illustrator was crashing every ten minutes exactly, like clock-work. The post from Karen solved my problem completely. I even upgraded to the 2017 version but nothing helped till I did this...

Did you also try Edit>Preferences>GPU Performance> then checking (or unchecking) the “GPU Performance,” “Animated Zoom,” and “Enhance Thin Lines” boxes?

Karen

KarenCityofSacramento

The only difference is that those boxes in the setting were already checked and after unchecking them, Illustrator never crashed again!

Good luck,

Fox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, after 2 months of frustratingly opening Illustrator only to have to go back to Inkscape because it CONSTANTLY crashed after 1-2 minutes of working I finally found KarenCityofSacramento working for me.

At the end of a thread, no official answer by Adobe in sight. I can't believe after seeing the solution that worked for so many people was posted over a year ago, Adobe STILL hasn't adresses this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been having this issue as well. Illustrator crashes after some number of minutes in the program, usually long enough for me to get some decent work done.. thank God for auto recovery! This happens to be only since I bought my first windows laptop with Nvidia graphics card so I'm thinking it must have to do with the GPU performance preference. Will be trying to check all the gpu performance options. If it still crashes, I will try un-checking all. Thanks everyone!

P.S. Would love an actual response from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of machine are you running your Adobe on? What operating system version and version number are you running? What version number of Adobe do you have? What's the graphic card model are you running and what is the Nvidia driver you have installed? Did you install the Nvidia Cuda driver? Do you use a Wacom with Adobe? What's the model number of the Wacom? What is the Wacom software version you have running? Does Adobe GPU Performance support your Nvidia model?

These are some of the questions you need to review when working with Adobe. Each and every one of these questions factor into making Adobe Illustrator work properly. I had to change many things on my system in order to get Adobe to work properly and stop crashing.

Some of the factors I had to change on my system was not installing the lastest Nvida driver. Not installing the latest Adobe version. Not installing the latest Wacom driver. Making sure I didn't have another video card installed on my machine while the Nvidia card was running. Reinstalling a clean operating system. Reinstalling Adobe Illustrator. Not installing the Nvidia Cuda driver (big mistake for my system set up and the reason for a clean OS install). I've been using Adobe since version 2 (not CC vers 2 - version 2 when it came out in the 90's) and every year there are challenges to making adobe and your computer work together. One of the biggest lessons I've learned is newer isn't always better. Sometime not upgrading to the latest version of software or hardware is the best solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say that before upgrading your illustrator version (to .0 because generally .1 solves the problems of the .0), check if there is a newer driver for your graphic card.

Download the latest versions of my graphic card worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the info! sounds ridiculous that you'd have to downgrade that many drivers just to make the program work. also sounds like Adobe needs to support windows systems a little better. I used illustrator on two or three different operating systems on my mac, 3 versions of illustrator, including cs6 and two different Wacom tablets. not one crashing issue ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sgrocker222  schrieb

thanks for the info! sounds ridiculous that you'd have to downgrade that many drivers just to make the program work. also sounds like Adobe needs to support windows systems a little better. I used illustrator on two or three different operating systems on my mac, 3 versions of illustrator, including cs6 and two different Wacom tablets. not one crashing issue ever.

There are about a billion possible combinations of motherboard, processor, graphic card and whatnot possible on Windows. Then add other versions of drivers systems and stuff.

On the contrary Apple systems are a closed box. You buy what Apple offers. There is a very limited range of configurations. So just apply a little logic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the tagline, "It just works" is quite fitting then. Though, in this case, it's not Adobe's fault. Would still like a response from Adobe here, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not ridiculous to me if I got my system working and Adobe isn't crashing anymore. I do what ever I need to do to make my hardware and software work not matter how crazy. I rely on this software to make a living and if something isn't working, all I'm saying is don't expect Adobe to reply to this thread and help. More than likely you'll have to figure it out on your own and then best way is to check everything that effects adobe crashing. It's tedious but it pays off in the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've said it perfectly. Don't (or never) expect Adobe to comment or help on this issue. You're left on your own and other Adobe users whom have figured out their own work through. We are a community for a reason and all here have likely been through this at least once. And each of us know Adobe helps NONE, responds NONE, remedies NONE. Glad you got everything working.

Please note for anyone in the future. Rely on your peers and not the Adobe developers. Developers don't care about your problem. Consult who you know and use this community and share your fixes. I don't anticipate Adobe will ever provide the support we respect and deserve (ever).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say it is not true : saying that Adobe is never answering you won't help you to get an answer.

If you really want to help Adobe (and the community), subscribe to the prerelease program : developers are here to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the most recent pre-release in which, I believe, they are trying to address some of the issues that I've been experiencing (all is confidential, though)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar and equally frustrating issue. Just trying to open Illustrator it crashes. I try to see what it hangs up on when loading, but goes completely though then conks out. Was working fine last week???? Did everything suggested. Complete re-install, removing preferences (can't to the GPU thing, cause it never lasts long enough when trying to open), restarting etc. Did you make any headway? I have contacted Adobe and havent heard a solution that fits anyones issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that disabling the GPU performance in preferences (or the rocket icon on top task bar) has fixed the problem for me. Slightly slower handling of functions like move, scroll, zoom etc but WAY less annoying than constantly loosing work due to crashing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers

Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter

•nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

•ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

There are also intermittent reports that the newest driver is not always the best driver due to driver bugs or compatibility issues, so you MAY need to try an earlier driver version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is crazy frustrating.  Illustrator has been crashing daily.

"ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR HAS STOPPED WORKING"

In the middle of a project.  I thought subscribing to Adobe Creative Cloud would be more stable than the previously purchased upgrades, but this is insane.  When you send a crash report, it flatlines your internet connection until it's done.

What is going on Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines