• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator clipping mask creating white fill?!!!

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

So basically i have designed the top of a paper plane and have completed the top design which i now want to clip into the template using the clipping mask tool. I have used it exactly how it is supposed to'

1. firstly getting my shape that i want to use to clip exactly how i want it

2. then getting my image which i want to place under my first shape to use the clipping mask with

3. align it in place and bring my "shape" to the front and image to the back

then using the selection tool i select all objects then click

objects> clipping mask> make

and for some reason it clips it but the image that i wastring to clip just becomes a white fill...

i have no idea how to fix this and its driving me crazy,, i cant find a soloution no matter how long i try to fix it or research it..

i have included some screenshots below

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

If you can't fill the clipping shape then most probably it is not a closed path, but multiple paths. Maybe grouped. From your screenshots I can't tell. You need to show it in the layer panel.

Depending on what it actually is, you need then to ungroup it or to un-compound it and then join the multiple paths.

And you should of course read the manual.

http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/adjust-path-segments.html

help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e07d0100196cbc5f-6269a.ht

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your 3rd screenshot looks like you have some stray points.

Select >> Objects >> stray points >> delete

Couple of things I do with masks,

1. fill mask with any color (The color disappears after you make, this helps confirm the mask is on top).
  2. hide mask, hide elements to be masked, unhide, mask

The top most element si what you are asking Illustrator to use when making a mask, there si no room for erro adn a stray poitn on top of you mask looks like what is happening. Teh process i descriobe in #2, will help you with more complex document. Bascially when you unhide the itme you need to mask are only what is slected, you will need to do this on more complex documents, hide is your friend in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks so much for your Quick response!

i am a little confused what you are telling me is the problem, i did as you asked,

selected the objects then went object> but there was no option that said "stray points" im using adobe illustrator cs6

would you mind explaining this more clearly? thanks alot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since there appear to be only 3 stray points you can just delete them manually. Temporarily turn off the preview (Cmd+Y) and you will be able to find them more easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried to create a fill for my clipping object and it doesnt work!! i dont know whats wrong with it Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you've gotten rid of all the stray points, but just to clarify: Mike (post #1) was not saying to select the points, then go to the Object menu. He was saying to go to the Select menu, and follow that down to Object, then to Stray Points.

Peter

Edit: Perhaps worth trying just to be sure you haven't missed any. Only takes moments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jacob. Was late. Now it's early – a day with grandson #1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations, Peter. Such a new arrival is a blessing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  oh i see! i just did the path clean up and stray points and it said there were no points to delete and no clean ups required, litterally

thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also i googled stray points and i saw what they were, however i realised i dont have stray points as the points in my document which appear to be "stray" are actually just the shape i have created as you can see, i can use them to mve around.. unless maybe it shouldnt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Window>Document Info

2. Document Info palette flyout menu: Turn on Selection Only. Turn on Objects.

3. Black pointer: Select the path you're trying to use as a clipping path. Look at the Document Info palette. How many Paths? Open or closed? How many anchors?

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your clipping object one closed path? Or something else (a group of paths, a compound path ...)

See the layer panel for info.

Also: if you don't want to show the file, at least show us what's inside the layer panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your response, see im not that great with illustrator so idont really understand everything completley well, only the basics, so im not sure what you mean when your telling me to look at my clipping objects "closed path" hahah sorry for the confusion could you explain that a little clearer?

also sorry about that, i wante dto show full screen shots but my computer wasnt letting me before, so thats why i only showed cropped screenshots.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't fill the clipping shape then most probably it is not a closed path, but multiple paths. Maybe grouped. From your screenshots I can't tell. You need to show it in the layer panel.

Depending on what it actually is, you need then to ungroup it or to un-compound it and then join the multiple paths.

And you should of course read the manual.

http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/adjust-path-segments.html

help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e07d0100196cbc5f-6269a.html

help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e07d0100196cbc5f-6246a.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thankyou so much! it worked!!i had grouped the lines to form my shape that i wanted to use as the mask and then i realised that im not sure how or why but it didnt really link the paths together properly so  i clicked on the link you send me and i saw them connect points with the pen tool, so i did that and it worked!!  as you can see i didnt recreate the shape accuratley but now i know how to do it i can recreate it accuratley! thanks for that!Capture5.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many years later and "compound path > make" just saved my birthday invite! Thanks so much, Monika! And thanks envywithlove for posting the q 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This worked for me; I had the same problem and making it a compound path worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provide a sample .ai file in case the stray points assumption does not apply.

Also, you may want to tell which version of Illustrator you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

envywithlove,

What happens if you select the image and copy it to a new document, then create a simple rectangle covering part of it, then with both selected Object>Clipping Mask>Make?

If that is successful, what happens if you release the Mask and delete the rectangle, then select the shaped path from the original document, being careful to click it with the Selection Tool (black arrow) away from any Anchor Points, and copy it to the new document, then with both selected Object>Clipping Mask>Make?

Hi Peter. early or late?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks so much for that! yes i did as you asked and it seems to work if i complete a rectangle clipping mask! but as soon as i copy it over and try it with my original shape, it doesnt work.... i think there is something wrong with what i have created as i showed in my last screen shot, even when i try to create a fill for my shape that i have made and am trying to use for the clipping mask it doesnt fill,, even though t says it is "filled" pink however when i completed the rectangle it had a fill of white so i knew it was ontop and that it would work,,, which isnt really happening with my shape, as it doesnt have a fill even when it says it does

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2015 May 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Compound path fixed problem for me too. Really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines