Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator clipping mask

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya,

I have got an illustrator clipping mask that is masking a vector behind it, I would like to delete everything (all the vectors) that is outside the clipping mask because I would like to get it engraved with a laser cutter but on EPS Ethos, when I open the illustrator file, even the vectors behind the clipping mask show up. I was wondering if anyone could help!

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

To delete all outside elements you can use Crop function instead of Clipping Mask.0004.jpg

1. Use your expended image and put the masking shape above it.

2. Select all and click Crop button at the Pathfinder palette

3. Ungroup the result.

4. Delete the objects that have "None" as fill and stroke (you can select 1 element, you will see it at the edge of your masking shape, and then use Select -> Same -> Fill & Stroke command)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It totally depends on what exactly it is that you want to clip.

Any live strokes in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by 'live strokes'? (I'm sorry I'm not very advanced in this!)

It is a pattern that is a series of vector lines..

Screenshot (1).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Live strokes means a stroke width or dashes or anything that can be applied as a stroke.

You have a pattern? So you will have to expand the pattern and then see what's in it.

But since you need strokes for your laser cutter to engrave them, it will get close to impossible to apply your mask. WHen doing this kind of operation in Illustrator, you will have to expand strokes to shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok. I have expanded it but I am not quite sure what to do next...?

(Thank you! Again, I'm sorry I'm new to this!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select and then use Pathfinder Intersect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To delete all outside elements you can use Crop function instead of Clipping Mask.0004.jpg

1. Use your expended image and put the masking shape above it.

3. Ungroup the result.

4. Delete the objects that have "None" as fill and stroke (you can select 1 element, you will see it at the edge of your masking shape, and then use Select -> Same -> Fill & Stroke command)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for the help! It's hugely appreciated!

Do you know if both of the expended image as well as masking shape have to be in the same layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesn't matter, the thing is to have the masking shape above the main image. When you combine them they will come to the higher layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Anna+Lander  schrieb

This won't work with stroked, open paths.

But for laser engraving you need stroked paths that might also be open on occasion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, yes, I've missed this mark. Maybe Shape Builder would be quite helpful here, but it's a lot of work with this main image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

pazz1805  schrieb

Oh ok. I have expanded it but I am not quite sure what to do next...?

You should now:

1. stop any work on the file

2. have someone explain to you exactly what kind of data they need from you. And make sure they tell you more than just "an EPS". You need to know in detail what needs to be in there

3. Then have someone explain to you exactly how to build that in Illustrator and how to prepare your file. No, this is not something that can be explained in some forum posts to someone who has just started working with the application.

4. And if you have no time for that: hand your work to someone who has experience with this kind of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can find answer to your questions here How to use and edit clipping masks in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines