Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator: color export goes wrong.

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi friends!

I am aware that this topic has already come up several times for similar problems (which I read while looking for a solution). However, I could not find the solution to my problem anywhere.

In summary:
I am working with RGB color #ff0a54 for a corporate identity. Only, when I import this same color into Photoshop, the color is not the same. Also, when I export this color from Illustrator to PNG or JPG format, the color appears as on Photoshop (red). On the other hand, for PDF exports, it works just fine.

Details:
I did check the color profiles in Illustrator and Photoshop though! I can't figure out where the problem is but it's somewhere! And I really need to export this magenta color.

Pictures / Visuals:
color exported VS color screenshot' (hm... as soon as I import on this site, the pink tint (screenshot) goes away...)

exported-original-color-ff0a54.pngscreenshot-original-color-ff0a54.png

left: illustrator color setting ; right: photoshop ones (sorry the interface is in French, I hope it's still in order for you regarding the color info?)

Capture d’écran 2023-01-25 à 17.03.15.png

Interesting event on photoshop: when I import a dynamic object (copied from illustrator) to photoshop, photoshop literally changes the RGB code! it goes from 255,10,84 to 236,28,36 - which is equivalent to #ec1c24!

Do you know why Photoshop (and thus all other exports) force to avoid this red-magenta color?

photoshop-rgb-code2.png

I don't want to believe that it's a color that can only be read by Illustrator and PDF.

I hope I have provided you with the necessary information about my computer and programs.
+ Does the same thing happen to you for this specific color?

Thank you very much in advance for your precious help!

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Feature request , Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

The problem is that you are not using any actual color management. just arbitrarily switching profiles doesn't mean anything if you're not working in a calibrated environment with proper proof preview.

Understand Photoshop color management

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor , Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that you are not using any actual color management. just arbitrarily switching profiles doesn't mean anything if you're not working in a calibrated environment with proper proof preview.

Understand Photoshop color management

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Mylenium for your quick response.

This is an important point you make here indeed - and I had read this article which has appeared several times in the other conversations about the same topic. But now I'm starting to have doubts: are there any details I'm missing in this article?

Overall, the article says to manage colors in a good environment, talks about screen display and printing tests (I don't plan to print this color so we can remove this point for my problem), etc. But on one same screen it shows me different colors. I wanted to make sure that my Adobe color manager was coordinated to make the color #ff0a54 similar on the other programs, but it doesn't change anything for me.

When you talk about calibrating your environment, are you referring to using a specific tool like CIE L*a*b?

As said, I really tried to go over a lot of details to avoid wasting the time of people wanting to help me, but I know I'm still missing details!

Also, do you think I'll be able to fix this color problem without having to change it to fix this export problem?

Thank you Very much in advance!

Otis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG export from Illustrator is not reliable. Illustrator does not read or export color profiles with a PNG file. 

Jpeg export uses lossy compression, that means that some colors will be changed to make the file smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer @Ton Frederiks !

So in a nutshell: this specific color#ff0a54 could be a problem for any jpeg and png export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to my question: is it that as soon as this icon appears (web cube), it is inevitable to adapt the color?
web-cube-illustrator.png

Thank you very much in advance.
Otis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, web safe colors are outdated, they were used in the early internet days for display on monitors that could only display 256 colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for png export, but jpeg changes this one to ff0a55.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Ton Frederiks.

At this point, my only solution is apparently to use color #ff0066, which is my original color alternative to Web Safe Colors. I've been able to apply exports of all kinds and the color remains intact!

So basically, I was kinda able to fix the problem: my base color was just not adaptable for PNG and photoshop reading. By changing the color code slightly, everything fell into place!

@Ton Frederiks Could the fact that I used a Web Safe Colors suggestion be a problem in the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Web safe colors are not a problem, they just are outdated because monitors with 256 colors are not used anymore. PNG (unless you use the 8 bit version) does not change colors, but jpeg does (but not always).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend you search the forum again, there was a very similar thread only a day or two ago, answered by Monika with a video tutorial on color management and profiles...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Met1 , I'll take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for sharing this video from Viktoria @Met1 

It is very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines