• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator converted my image to text- can't convert back

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2024 Sep 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finished my project last night.  Exported as SVG.  Pulled up the SVG today to convert into other file types.  Illustrator somehow converted my image into text, or thinks it's text, rather.  What's really strange, is that the nodes are still there, and still editable.  But when you export, it assumes it's text and it is ignored by all of my cutting programs.  The lines are completely gone when you import the SVG into another app, such as lightburn.  No matter what I do, I cannot get my image to convert back to an image.  Create outlines and expand both just make the image disappear completely.  Please tell me there is a way to fix this!  I have no idea what went wrong.  I've already used the SVG just fine before, I pulled up the source file to make changes in another part of the design and didn't even touch this image.  Some sort of MAJOR glitch.Screenshot (76).png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean it converted your image to text?

WHat's most important: never use SVG as your work file format. SVG in Illustrator is a one way street: export it and then never open it again. Illustrator is famous for not being able to read its own SVGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The source file is .ai and it's the one with the issue.  I noticed it on the .svg so looked back to see what was going on. I'm aware it makes zero sense.  It somehow thinks the image (in the picture I uploaded) is text.  I can't do anything with it to make it realize it's an image.  It shows the nodes, too, which is so weird.  In the bar on the right of my image you can see how it's treating it like text.  I can change the text,  create outlines, etc. just as if it were text.  You can't export text as svg format, so it just disappears completely upon exporting it.  I have NO CLUE what the heck happened.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Peacef1re,

I’m really sorry to hear you’re having this issue with your Illustrator file! I understand how frustrating it must be, especially since it was working fine before. If possible, could you upload the Illustrator file to Google Drive or a similar service and share the link with us? That way, we can take a closer look and help resolve the problem. Thanks for your patience!

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the file. I’ve taken a look, and it seems that the object in question has undergone an Image Trace, converting it into a vector path and compound path. Unfortunately, since the file has been saved and closed, this process is irreversible. As we all know, typically, using Cmd + Z (or Ctrl + Z) would undo the changes, but that option is no longer available once the file is closed.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance!

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peacef1re  schrieb:

It somehow thinks the image (in the picture I uploaded) is text. 

So when opening the file you get a "Text import options" dialog? Or what is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. And my cutting programs ignore it so there is no line at all.  I went through and traced the line manually,  major pain.  I didn't touch this page last night,  I worked on a different art board in the file. Who knows what happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Peacef1re  schrieb:

Yes. 

So, yes, you get the text import options?

That is a sign of file corruption.

Where do you save your files? If not on your harddisk, try that first.

Also: turn off "Save in background" in the Illustrator preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines