• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Copy & Paste not working

New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a rectangle and tried to select, Copy and paste- it wont work.  It lets me select but when I hit Ctrl -the selection tool changes to "direct selection" and shows a little curved line.  Then it wont let me Ctrl C-Ctrl V.  I also tried to just select and go to the edit menu and copy and that will not work either.

I used the pen tool to make a shape and see if I could copy that and its doing the same thing...so I think its some issue with the selection tool.

I dont know if I accidentally changed a setting or how I can fix this, but its very frustrating.  Please help!! 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

It sounds like you may need to trash your Illustrator preferences.

To do so:

You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching Illustrator and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so:

On Windows 7 and above the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, Windows Security doesn't have options such as checking the clipboard or not. There are only a handful of options there and I've never actually changed any of them.  Whatever the default setting are, that's what I'm using.  So that's basically it.  I have no 3rd party scripts either.  Thanks for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Illustrator preferences for Clipbard are:

On Quit: PDF is checked.  AICB is checked w/Preserve Appearance and Overprints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the SVG option? Is it turned on?

When did you last reboot the computer?

And it might alsobe time to reset the preferences file. This will delete all your settings. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the SVG option is not on.  I've been turning my PC off and letting it rest for at least a few minutes over the past couple of weeks.  That actually seems to have improved the problem, but not completely resolved it.  I haven't tried resetting the preferences yet.  Actually, I haven't truly reset the preferences for many years.  I keep my preferences and import them into a new install.  Maybe I'm due to rebuild it from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing the preferences file from an old version leads to issues usually. That has been the case for the last couple of versions.

So tryand rename the folder as described in the link I posted. This procedure keeps your preferences as a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no other applications open, no extensions, no plugins, no custom preferences for anything illustrator, clipboard or files, and clipboard isn't set up any special way - all just Windows basic system, including antivirus, which doens't in any way target or change clipboard or Adobe products. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also add that Customer Care doesn't always solve anything - a problem I've already seen mentioned with this specific problem, especially when they're (in my experience) mostly active during work hours. When they don't have an answer, they just generally disconnect with advice to delete preferences or restart the computer, and I have never seen deleting preferences actually work to fix any problem. Rebooting, again, WAS tried and didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the forum I'm seeing resetting preferences help with problems all the time.

But if you don't want to try it, then that's that.

If you want to report it as a bug, please use http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem. Really makes AI a useless "tool". I am simply trying to copy and paste graphs from graphpad prism and it simply stopped working a few weeks ago. Very certian its some update with "bugs". Has this isse been solved yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without information about your system, version and workflow nobody will be able to help you.

I don't have Graphpad Prism, but don't see any issue copying something from Affinity Publisher into Illustrator 25.1

For reporting bugs, please use http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have AI 25.1 with windows 10 and I am copying a graph from grpahpad prism 9.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my copy & paste shortcuts stopped working yesterday!!! I wasn't even aware that there was an ongoing issue with this...

I have been using Illustrator for about 25 years on various Macs and PCs and this is the first time I've had this problem. I have not made any recent changes to my MacBook Pro so it is totally baffling and massively frustrating. I have spent far too much time, since yesterday, trying to fix this problem. I have work to do, children to home school and many other responsibilities to take care of. I don't need this and it is very disappointing to learn that some people have had this problem for years.

I've tried all the things suggested here plus uninstalled Illustrator and reinstalled it, nothing has worked. Am I just supposed to put up with it? I have been an Adobe customer since 1993 and I expect better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to continue trying, contact Customer Care. They can login to your computer to try and find out:

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

This is no general issue. It's something in your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is there no "general issue" if @FrancoisMorrow  said that this issue just popped up after 25 years of using the program and so many others have complained likewise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it's only some people for whom it doesn't work.

So it must be in those peoples' system. Something they have installed. Something that is not compatible. Whatever. So many different systems, so many different extensions and other apps and combinations of the afore mentioned.

Try and disable the "SVG" option in the Clipboard preferences. But apart from that: a lot of applications mess with the clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes no sense. I was using illustrator without any problem this morning and in the last hour I can no longer cut and paste - I have changed nothing about my set up whatsoever. Tried resetting the preferences but no joy. What else can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try any of the other solutions in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I tried all previously mentioned solutions and have absolutely no add ons, downloads. extensions, plugs ins or anything else that could hurt or influence IL. I have to update frequently for work, and I've reinstalled before. Nothing here worked, and the problem occurs frequently; it can last for hours or days, but only effects Illustrator, so it's a program issue, not a widescale Adobe program one or something that occurs in Windows or other software. It's completely random when and how it happens and has occured for me on multiple computers with different set ups, none of which have any addition non Adobe programs interacting with IL, and dozens of people in the thread have completely different specs and setups than I've used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ben Sorum , I've been having the exact same problem with Prism-Illustrator. Had always worked fine and now when I paste in certain graphs, they'll be missing vital elements like error bars or axis labels. None of the other solutions in this thread helped. The only thing I've found that works is:

In Prism (I'm using version 9.0.2), click the export button above your graph, and export it as an EPS file- but make sure it's the old version, not the 'enhanced' version. Then in Illustrator, use the 'Place...' tool to select and place the EPS file. It's obviously more long-winded than normal c+p but in the absence of a better solution it does get the job done. I hope it works for you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Hannahlpk it worked!

But it was not the "EMS" file that worked, it was in fact the "EMF" file format that I used in the export. Also I did not need to use the 'Place' tool in AI, I could actually just drag the file directly to my AI canvas and it opened up automatically.

You are truly a gem Hannah, THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI..."WMF" file types also work just fine. So I guess to solve this issue:

"anyone who can convert/save their file into an EMF or WMF can then simply paste it into AI"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh phew, so glad you got it working too! (Would have been the most irritating brag ever on my part otherwise...) Very much welcome! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had problems copying and pasting vector content in illustrator which was intermitent, i realised what caused it and wanted to share just incase it helps anyone, i was running the Apple iOS device simulator from Xcode, as soon as i quit the simulator i can copy and paste vectors, thanks to Hannahlpk for pointing out that other apps interfere with the pasteboard i hadn't thought of that 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry it was Monika Gause that pointed that out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the reason for copy/paste not working for me in Illustrator.  The problems happens when I'm using a program called Vector Magic.  I use that program to do vector tracing.  After I trace something, the program may still be open as I move back to Illustrator.  And that's when copy and paste becomes unpredictable.  Once I close Vector Magic, I don't have any further copy/paste problems in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines