Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator crashes when saving

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I hope you're doing well. I'm experiencing a frustrating issue with Adobe Illustrator on my MacBook M1 Pro with 32GB of RAM, and I was hoping to get some help.

The problem is that every time I try to save a document as a .ai file, Illustrator crashes, leaving behind only a .tmp file. I haven't made any recent changes or modifications before this issue started occurring, so it's quite puzzling.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem or have any suggestions on how to resolve this? I'd greatly appreciate any insights or solutions you may have to offer.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try to save local, no synced folders or servers.

Turn off Save in Background in Preferences >  File Handling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply but I'm afaraid the problem is somewhere else. I can't save anything from illustrator in any file format. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing the same issue. Have you by any chance recently updated your MacOS? I've updated to Sonoma. Not sure if this is related?

mRYellow_0-1690972797321.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've contacted Adobe support, they've accessed my mac remotly but weren't able to resolve the issue. They think the problem might be connected to the new macOS. I'm in the process of backing up all my data an downgrading back to Ventura. I will let you know if that helped 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not expect to use your apps on beta systems.

Never ever.

Anything beta should not be used on productive systems. And above all, do not use your original files on beta software. Adobe (and any other developers) will tell you when their software is ready for a new system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An attitude like this isn't very helpful.

We need people to test beta software. If this isn't done then Adobe and Apple won't be aware of the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. My name has been listed in the Illustrator startup screen as a beta tester for several years now. Just check it out.

But if you do test: enroll in the Illustrator beta test as well, so that you can get the very latest version AND actually deliver your feedback.

And: do not complain about lost files, cause that's the very nature of beta tests: you might lose stuff. So: do never ever ever put a beta on a productive system to do productive work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I enrol to the Illustrator BETA?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a public beta, which you can just download from the Creative Cloud and which is probably what you have found. And then there is the Prerelease program, which is under NDA. You can apply here: adobeprerelease.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is with the new mac beta OS (Sonoma). If you're using illustrator DO NOT UPDATE. I had to reinstall the previous version (Ventura) and now it works like charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me pasó lo mismo, Sonoma beta e illustrator no son compatibles, tuve que volver el mac a ventura y funciona bien nuevamente. Me costó un mundo dar solución, así que no recomiendo actualizar el mac a sonoma. 

Al actualizarlo me tiraba el error adjunto, se me cerraba el programa y me guardaba los archivos en .tmp, pero en la nube de creative cloud si guardaba bien, aunque se cerraba igual illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All is working properly now with Somona Beta 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced the same file-saving issue with the Sonoma beta. It appears there are no problems making edits and saving existing files. So, I duplicated an existing file in the finder and used that as a new doc 'template' with no issues thus far. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the public beta doesn't have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've found the solution...work around. The public beta works fine. No issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @EjdmHere @mRYellow @EstefaniaMuñoz @TobusQuinn,

Thank you for sharing your experiences regarding the crashing issue while saving Illustrator files on the macOS Sonoma beta. It's unfortunate that you've been facing this frustrating problem, but I appreciate your contributions to this discussion.

The public beta version of macOS Sonoma might help, as it seems to be working fine for @mRYellow. It's important to remember that beta software can sometimes have compatibility issues with production applications, so it's recommended to use stable releases for important work.

Our product team is aware of this issue and is actively working with Apple to ensure a smoother experience once the macOS Sonoma update becomes available to the general public. Until then, using a stable version of macOS should help mitigate the crashing problem.

Thank you for your patience and for sharing your insights with the community. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just like to add the same issue:

Mac Mini.  3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7.  Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Sonoma Version 14.0 Beta (23A5301h)

I've unistalled, restarted and reinstalled Illustrator and it still crashes on 'save'.

Thanks

Nick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @nicko78364513,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're facing with Illustrator crashing while saving. This issue seems to be related to the macOS beta Sonoma.

I would suggest saving the file as a Cloud Document. If that doesn't work, try updating to the latest 14.0 developer beta 7 or 14.0 Public Beta 5 of macOS Sonoma. If that doesn't help either, I would recommend rolling back to a stable macOS version, such as "Ventura or Monterey, until the macOS Sonoma public version is available, which is expected to be available publicly later this year. It's important to note that beta versions of operating systems can sometimes lead to compatibility issues with various software applications.

Our product team is aware of this issue and is actively working with Apple to ensure a smoother experience once the macOS Sonoma update becomes available to the general public. Until then, using a stable version of macOS should help mitigate the crashing problem.

I understand that this situation can be frustrating, and I appreciate your patience as the teams work on resolving these compatibility issues.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines