Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CRITICAL Nvidia card bug

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

my last hope vanished after Illustrator CC 2017 was released. I was hoping, that 2017 version finally fix annoying slow down whole PC bug with nvidia graphic cards. Please can someone from Adobe confirm, that they know about the bug and working on fix? Lots of people suffer from this bug (probably every user with nvidia card).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And please dont tell us to recreate preference file, dont tell us OOBE crap, dont tell anything about system problem atd.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE PROBLEM IS JUST IN ILLUSTRATOR VS NVIDIA GRAPHIC CARD (DRIVERS/MEMORY LEAK ETC.)

I tried several PC with different nvidia graphic card (from GTX 660 to 1080) all PC have same problem. Whole system is absolutly unusable after 15/30 minutes of work. Even if you create a blank document and moving with mouse in open menus "file, edit, object rtc." fast from left to right after several minutes whole system is getting slugish and unresponsive. Turn off GPU acceleration doesnt help. Only working solution is to enable integrated CPU graphic – which is not good solution.

So Adobe tell us, that you know about the problem and working on fix or cooperate with nvidia engineers. You provide software for professionals and have critical bug with NO.1 graphic card manufacturer for several years. HOW IT IS EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Fix for this issue is now available with Illustrator 2017.1.0 update. This update is available in Creative Cloud. Request users with NVidia GPU to update to this release.

-Rama

Illustrator Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 213 Replies 213
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reporting back on Illustrator/system performance after having removed the my GPU yesterday.

I had 6 hours of proper performance after removing my QuadroM2000.

Today, I put it back in, and after just over an hour of work (simple stuff) the system-wide slowness came back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yeh, same issue here, just got Brand new workstations at the office,

Xeon e5-2630 v4

32gb ram

Geforce GTX1080

exact same issues as the others here really.

no onboard gpu so cant turn it off and try that.

got newest drivers installed, laggy as shit still, once i turn illustrator off the computer works flawlessly with photoshop and my 3d software.

first program´s i installed was adobe suite, and literally nothing else on it, and this issue still persists.

my old was a laptop, with Quadro card and I7 cpu 32gb ram, still had the exact same shit issues for a long long time,

Please, pretty please with sugar ontop, fix this.

side note, my other laptop, i5 crap cpu onboard card and 8gb ram works BETTER with illustrator than my stationary workstation which is pretty retarded.

on a side note, can you also fix so that illustrator takes full advantage of my 20 cores rather than just working with 1 or 2 at a time? 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

Can you please reach out to me in DM or post the exact repo steps to replicate what you are seeing internally here at NVIDIA. We have several bugs opened on this and each report from each end-user is unique but also similar (similar part being Illustrator slowing down). Please let me know. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yeah,

At first there is little issue, but the more i work with illustrator the more it starts to slow down.

mainly in illustrator i have 4-10 artboards with photos + vector graphics.

But this issue happens even with a simple logo and using the hand tool to just throw the artboard around.

i have also been keeping an close eye on my cores and there usage from illustrator ( turning ALL other applications off via taskmgr )

at MOST, and i mean at ,most, i get a 45% load on ONE of my 20 cores, and thats when i add some adv filter, when i just click around in the document and move art boards around, when it has it´s slow down issues, i rarely see a peak above 20% on one of my cores.

this exact issue was also happening with my previous laptop workstation.

Side note, at home im running a pure gaming build.

this computer has NO ISSUES AT ALL.

setup :

I5-6600 3.30Ghz

16GB Ram, 3200mhz Coirsair gaming

Z87I-PRO motherboard from ASUS

Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Side note, after checking now, all my 4 cores at home gets the same exact load from illustrator when using it, they all go up to the same % in usage.

this does not happen with ny Xeon CPU at the office, only utilising one of my 20 cores as i said earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here´s a video posted, just opened the file and illustrator, and this is the performance at STARTUP.

Illustrator Critical Error shiet - YouTube

please check this and respond, i have my cpu´s in the corner so you can see the usage of my system when i use illustrator, it´s absolutely at bottom on mem and cpu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aaand here´s the video from my homerig, exact same file in illustrator, only here it´s working FLAWLESSLY

and as you can see when i pull up the taskmgr, the cpu load is 100% and working fine.

YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of us have been waiting for months. For me personally, about a year since the first time I got this problem. I initially thought it was a problem with some plug-ins (Astute software). But hours later, it came clear it was an Adobe problem.

It is not normal to not comment on those problems from their end, not any official word.. And not to even fix this in CC2017.

I wonder if Adobe should either refund some money for all those problems. Maybe a collective class action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same slowdown problem has been with me for almost a year now. Working on a DELL XPS 15 with Nvidia 960m, Intel i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM. My personal feeling is there seems to be some kind of information build up because as Illustrator slows down (a lot of copy pasting seems to contribute to this as well), it also effects the rest of the computer. In my case, after extended use with the slow performance, Illustrator will always stop responding and quit when I decide to do a quick zoom (alt+scroll) and immediately move (H command), it'll just freeze at that point. I've turned off automatic saving thinking it might give me a longer working window before the slowdown creeps in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years in and they still haven't been able to solve this problem. I assume that it is something core to the program or it would have been solved already. That is pretty terrible...it gets really annoying really quickly so I wish they would solve it. At least it is getting more recognition now. I have had this problem in varying degrees of terrible since 2014 or so. I suppose it is effecting more people now so that's a good/bad thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the most We are going to complete 3 years with this error and the problem persists. With each new version that takes out the insect company persists every time it gets heavier. The only solution from what I've seen on the internet, is to stick with CC 2014 or earlier versions ... Oh, change Hardware, remove Nvidia and put ATi or use an Intel with integrated graphics to not present these desperate and annoying delays. The problem is that I am Fan Boy from Nvidia T.T and in terms of games is the maximum. Help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have posted about my new desktop suffering from this issue and the only solution was to physically remove the quadroM2000. Another member of my team just received a new machine and has this issue now as well.

Precision 5510 15"

i7-6820 HQ 2.7 Ghz

32 GB

Quadro M1000M

nvidia driver 358.94

Turning off GPU acceleration in AI doesnt help.

using the nvidia panel to switch to igpu doesnt help.

My coworker isnt close to being a pro user, but soon came to me (I'm not IT) asking why objects take so long to move, and why the menus were so jittery.

This machine is unusable when running Illustrator. We use AI as our primary design app. I cannot remove the card in this laptop so, Adobe, nVidia; what do you suggest? We bought 2 machines+GPUs that are supposed to work together. Each company makes that claim on their site. Yet, they don't function together AT ALL. In fact, they render the entire computer unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here since last year, when i buil my workstation with windows:

I7-6700

MSI GTX960

Windows 10 x64

32gb DDR4

Nvidia drivers: 378.49

Illustrator version: 2017.0.2

I tried with every illustrator version in the creative cloud and im working with cs6 (hasn't gpu aceleration) and work "great"... but im paying for CC2017.

Thanks Pkirst for help us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator CC 2014 solution was great for 2 days... then Photoshop CC 2015 or Cc2017 kept found the same daily routine: crash after 4-5 hours, then complete reboot of the computer. So 2 days ago I called Adobe trying to see if there was some new help. The representative told me to look into the Photoshop folder in the program files after checking with "Event viewer" and say a file ending will .ddl

He said this is the fault of Microsoft and there was nothing Adobe could do... I told him I was a 20 years Mac experienced person, and only had this Windows computer for a year, but I told him I was doubtful about his explanation.

So I called Microsoft, and the person very nicely told me that was Adobe problem...

I called a 3rd time Adobe but couldn't pass another inexperienced customer service. Useless.

Really, Adobe? Are you turning into AT&T customer service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay theres a big problem going on right now and people will keep complaining alot more aggressively if nothing is going to be done about it. Theres no transparency about the bug fixing at all, no status, nothing. People need to complain and complain and complain to get a "we are working on it" from an uncertified account. It would be really nice if we could know whats going, how many peeps are working on it and if they work daily on it, because if theres no solution within the next weeks, we longterm have to switch all our workstations to other programs/tools. The whole forum is flooded with problems regarding AFX/AI/Media Encoder taking almost 3 times longer to render stuff, AI being completly useless after 5mins of work, et cetera. We're stuck and going back some versions doesn't work since they are all using GPU acceleration and not using GPU acceleration makes working unbearable since the whole office is used to the GPU zoom feature, its like taking away the windshield of everybodies car and be like: "You will adapt to it, wait until we fix it in 3-4 months".

Please Adobe / NVIDIA, a bit more transparency could lead to a lot less complaining. I personally think theres something wrong with how data gets saved / cached, since these problems always occur after some time (the memory, cache loads itself totally full, until one process is so slow that the multi-threading leads to the lagging GUI in Illustrator.) If you restart Illustrator the cache gets cleared and you can work 5 minutes again, until the cache is full again, yadayada you get the doom loop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Armaganvideos,

You can send me a DM and I can send you my contact details at NVIDIA. 

In temrs of the latest status: We are actively looking at this specific problem of Adobe Illustrator w/ NVIDIA GPUs. THANKS to the users on this thread for providing replication details, we have a internal repo of the issue(slow down of Illustrator w/ NVIDIA GPUs) and we are looking closer. This is the problem we are actively working on that I can help answer questions about. It appears to be a memory leak and we are exploring this as a first root cause.

If you want us to have a look at the other issues you are seeing, please reach out to me in DM and I will get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry @pkirst, I did my research, I know who you are. But Iam talking from the perspective of an angry user finding this thread through Google without enough time to read the whole thread. I got a software development background aswell, so I know how you can fix these problems between angry customers / devs during a bug fixing process, you did a great job with this post, kudos!

Regarding the latest status: Thanks for the detailed update! Love it, that you guys got an internal repo now, so that this is adressed properly. Keep us updated please and maybe consider an official statement so people can stop ranting on Adobe/Nvidias Facebook pages, or even warn people with Nvidia GPU's to not update / switch to new systems until these bugs are fixed, because this can cause a lot of monetary problems in peoples lifes (not being able to start a huge project with new software/hardware).

Greetings and wishing you a nice week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reporting back
i5, Win7, 64, vanilla Intel HD video

My card can't handle GPU, so it is turned off automatically

I was having the same problem with no nvidia card, until I installed the latest 2017. Then, things speeded up remarkably, and I have been able to work for hours at a time.

I have been using it for a week now, and a few things are still slow or behaving badly. I do still have to close down occasionally and restart when it becomes unusable. I thought I would report on the problems with a mostly-usable version in case anybody finds clues there.

• Scrolling, panning, and using the hand tool are still insanely slow.  Always. The only way to get things centered to work on them with reasonable speed is to use Ctrl+A to view all, then use the Select Tool to drag over the area I want to see. Unfortunately, it often doesn't display what I have dragged over in the middle of my screen. Half of it is off screen, and I have to use glacial alternatives to reposition it. Sometimes, it does center it in the middle of the screen for awhile, but then suddenly it jumps to display it in half screen. I believe there is a bug in the new "feature" which is supposed to make it easier to center things. Combined with glacial positioning tools, this is one of the main things that makes this version so maddeningly slow. There doesn't appear to be any way to turn off the new "feature." If someone knows how, please let me know, and I will try that.
  • I have used both a Microsoft mouse and a Wacom tablet (Inuous Pro Medium) without any trouble except scrolling. Scrolling outside of Illustrator with both is fine. Glacial within using both.
  • Shut down and restart restores speed again. But I almost always get a note that there is a large amount of data on the clipboard, even though I haven't been doing much in the way of cut and pasting. Lots of cutting and pasting leads to slow downs.
  • I haven't had any problems with strokes and fills as reported by others, but the files I have been working on don't have a lot of complex fills and strokes.
  • Text works fine. One of the files I have worked on a lot has an usual amount of text for an Illustrator file. No problems with text functions in that file or elsewhere. I have lots of fonts and no font manager, so it's a good test.
  • I was careful to uninstall plug-ins and to make sure they are not in the install folder. I have re-installed Artlandia. It works fine.
  • Astute Graphics recently came out with a 2017 compatible version. I will install that shortly and report back.

There are many features of 2017 that I just love. I would be thrilled with these improvements had not all the regular stuff you do every other minute in Illustrator--scrolling, panning, zooming, etc. become soooo sloooooow. Features are nice, but not at the expense of basic performance.

I know that, rather than engage in lots of expensive testing, software companies these days are throwing it out there and letting the blow-back guide them. Adobe needs to stop this practice. They have a customer base of people who make their living with this software. For them, it's the worst possible model.

The reason the old user forums worked was lots of participation by Adobe staff and specialists. Right now, it's like throwing a note in a bottle into the sea to gather with other notes in bottles which nobody is reading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone using Mac OS X and Adobe CC2015 or 2017 share if they're having similar problems?

I used to be on Mac before I switched to Windows 10, about a year ago. Things were smoother, not buggy.

But slow mac computers made me switch.

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I was freelancing on a iMac 2016 and Illustrator was working so well, no lag, no crash. And I had Photoshop open and After Effects. The only problem I had was After Effects 2015, which crashed so many times. But that's another Adobe story, anyone know how crappy is After Effects CC 2015 and 2014 was so much better.

On my Windows machine, I have tried a GTX 970, a GTX 1060, then a Radeon RX 480. Then I switched the motherboard from a Gigabyte to an Asus.

The problem remains the same: Illustrator CC2015 or CC2017 is buggy as hell. Also on my Surface Pro 3, the same problem.

1) So I am not sure it is only a Nvidia problem.

2) It would be interesting if someone with a Hackintosh and a GTX 970 could try Illustrator  CC2015 under Mac OS X. Wondering if the problem would be the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just try illustrator CC 2014 whit my GTX 1070 and works perfect and smooth... i have hackintosh in other ssd disk, running with my integrated HD 530 and illustrator CC 2017 works perfect, the problem is windows, illustrator and nvidia...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for writing about your experience! Have you tried CC2017 with the Nvidia card under hackintosh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i can't try illustrator CC2017 with my GTX 1070 in hackintosh cause nvidia pascal and osx aren't compatible.

My CC app show me all previous versions in illustrator: show.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to get back to CC2014? In my Cloud list CC2014 doesn't show up inn "previous versions" anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same experience for me since almost a  A YEAR NOW! Seriously Adobe..... Why can't you fix it? Focus on speed and bugfixing instead of releasing new features that no one cares about. I have been using Adobe illustrator since the first version, and for every release it got more and more bloated and sluggish.

It cant be right when a brand new laptop with this spec, runs your software super sloooooow and laggy.

My machine:

Dell Precision 5510

RAM: 32 GB

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M1000M (2GB)

Adobe Illustrator version: Adobe CC2017.0.2

I have updated all the drivers and read all your tips and tricks, but still the same issues occur after a while. Lately I have been using Affinity Designer, which runs really smooth.

@Adobe when will you fix this, my patience is almost gone.

Best regards

Jonatan, Senior Designer, Microsoft

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines