• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS5 + Mac El Capitan = Crashing!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue ever since installing El Capitan. When using Adobe Illustrator CS5, any time I attempt to use the Eyedropper tool, the program will crash as soon as I click on the object I'm trying to copy the color of.

I have noticed that I am able to use the eyedropper successfully ONLY when copying the color of a SOLID color object. If I attempt to copy the color of an object with a gradient-fill, or copy a color from an embedded image/photo, the crash is immediate.

The issue is happening on both my Macbook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) and my iMac (24-inch, Early 2008).

PLEASE help. I am very reliant on using Adobe Illustrator for my job.

Any advice will help, or if you are experiencing the same (or similar) issue let me know so I can avoid anything that will cause the crash!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

El Capitan is not a supported operating system for CS5.

Please refer to system requirements here: System requirements | Adobe Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 188 Replies 188
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironically, CS3 works great on El Capitan. I upgraded my mother's system to the newest version, and although her beloved AppleWorks no longer, well, works, CS3 is great! She's so happy because Photoshop is faster than ever for her collage work and I didn't have to upgrade her to CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to embed image before using eyedropper...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens with colors and fonts....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello rickmartin.art

As a CS5.5 Premium Suite user on Mavericks and having read many topics on upgrading to the latest OS on this and other forums, I decided not to upgrade to Yosemite or El Capitan.

I feel your pain regarding the purchase price which was very expensive and some people can't afford or justify a monthly subscription to the latest Adobe software.

It seems random that some users get it to work and some don’t, and to be honest I could do without the heart ache, lost time and sleep, so I have come to the conclusion that the latest Mac OS is not as important as the CS5.5 Premium Suite I currently use, and so far works perfectly well for all my design needs.

The Software on Mavericks such as Pages, Numbers, iMovie etc is not something I use on a regular basis, but when I do use them, they meets my needs to a satisfactory level and the same with Microsoft Office 2011.

As long as my emails, web browser and CS5.5 still works, I am happy, the only trouble I may have in the future, is if my iMac stops working, I will have to buy the latest Mac with the latest OS, which may have trouble loading my CS5.5.

Trex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue ...

A very big problem !

Upgrade the OS was a real mistake but unfortunatly I did it...

what the hell, I pay so much for my latest hardware and I can't use it with latest software...

CS5 is obsolete but still work well for my needs, the main thing is that I can't upgrade because I don't want to marry Adobe...

Adobe don't support CSx anymore, and it's still a deterrent for me to buy CC because this bad habits that Adobe has could only mean that in the future the situation could be worst...

No support for past releases, good job Adobe, good job.

I think if someone give a suitable alternative, I go for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried CC in the past, but Illustrator had a big issue with zoom tool combined with magic mouse What happened to Zoom in CC?

Adobe took 6 months to fix the issue!

I choosed to downgrade and stay with CS5, in 2 years Adobe couldn't be able to convince me to buy a CC subscription.

Now they try to push users to the new software making the old unusable.

I bought CS, CS2, CS3, CS5... If I ask for a decent support over the years is it a big deal for a Corporation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matteo333 schrieb:

Now they try to push users to the new software making the old unusable.

Nobody is making your software unusable.

You can use it until the end of days or until your computer with Yosemite falls apart (whichever comes first).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded to El Captain and Illustrator stop to work.
I think it is not very useable right now...

don't you think that Adobe has stopped to support past versions in order to push users to buy the new one?

Business, I know.

But I have spent a lot of money for Adobe products in the past, always to try to avoid the pirate way to use software (that in Italy is very common) and at the end I stay with no assistance.

It's just this, a bitter realization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matteo333 schrieb:

don't you think that Adobe has stopped to support past versions in order to push users to buy the new one?

No. They stop support because you wouldn't be able to pay for a software that is supported until the end of days.

Apart from the manpower needed to update it.

You perhaps know that it needs software and frameworks in order to develop apps.

These change with operating systems. You might perhaps have heard of Carbon or Cocoa.

Porting software from one of these frameworks to the next is like updating to the next version.

So what you basically expect is an update (from CS5 on one framework to CS5 on a different framework) without having to pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the BIGGEST frustration for users is the change in how we "buy" software. In the past we could purchase a perpetual license and upgrade at our own discretion (when our budget allowed). Subscriptions have changed that. In theory it's a great deal, but in reality few people upgrade every year and most use 2 or 3 programs at best, making $50 per month difficult to justify. Adobe knows this but chooses to ignore it because they make more money with subscriptions. There is a LARGE, once loyal base of users who have been disenfranchised by the new model and competitors are working hard to fill the need Adobe has created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I think the BIGGEST frustration for users is the change in how we "buy" software. In the past we could purchase a perpetual license and upgrade at our own discretion (when our budget allowed). Subscriptions have changed that. In theory it's a great deal, but in reality few people upgrade every year and most use 2 or 3 programs at best, making $50 per month difficult to justify. Adobe knows this but chooses to ignore it because they make more money with subscriptions. There is a LARGE, once loyal base of users who have been disenfranchised by the new model and competitors are working hard to fill the need Adobe has created.

And that is why they went to the cloud system.

Personally I love the cloud system as long as the price stays reasonable. I get access to apps that I wouldn't otherwise have, thus letting me expand my horizons, and the monthly payments are a lot easier to absorb than coming up with $700-$900 every 18 months for an upgrade.

As a sole-proprietor business owner here are 'business expenses' and some personal ones that cost more than Adobe CC (and not all of them generate the revenue that Adobe CC does).

Phone

Internet

Web hosting and shopping cart services

Office supplies

Heating and AC
Postage

DirecTV

If you can justify those expenses, you can certainly justify the cost of something as productive as Adobe CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's true, what I dislike is:

1) no options to choose a different package, for example I use just Illustrator, Indesign and Photoshop, occasionally Acrobat... Why I have to pay also for Premiere? Is there someone that use the full suite? a video-maker-graphic-designer-illustrator-photographer-publisher-web-app-developer? Buy 3 app is more expensive than the complete CC.
2) CS didn't need to be upgraded, not with a new release everytime! now I'm testing CC app and I can say that there are some good stuff but with some workaround I could do exactly the same things with CS5. I did. CC is not faster than CS5.
3) Adobe support is a pain... no answers, longest time in history of PCs for develop or fix a bug, lack of some fondamental features with no client care. Responsiveness in behance prosite is a nice example, from 2013 -OMG mobile ready sites OMG- clients ask questions, Abobe reply that they are working hard, 2 years pass and that's it, nothing change.

How can I trust!
...and Adobe changed from perpetual to subscribed in order to have a continuous flow of cash instead of a spot incomes during the release of CSs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Why are photographers singled out for a "SWEET" deal on Photoshop and Lightroom while designers have no similar option?

Adobe, why not offer individual applications for $9.99 monthly and allow users to build their own "suite" for a reasonable price?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because there are hundreds of millions of people who do photography for a hobby - it's called tapping a market.

Besides the 'sweet deal' is on the full package. With the Photoshop package you pay $10 per app. If you paid that for the full suite you'd be paying over $200/month vs $50. All those Photoshop/Lightroom hobbyists help keep the costs in check for those of us who actually earn a living with CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Photoshop package you pay $10 per app.

I'm not sure where you get that number.

If you are referring to the "Photographer" deal, it is $10.00 for Photoshop and Lightroom. All other "single" apps are $19.99. There is no "dual" program option for designers/illustrators.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct...

But my point is valid... hundreds of millions of potential photoshop customers.... nowhere near as many potential Dreamweaver customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think update could be a big effort for a big company , in any case I would be very happy to pay for an upgrade of my old CS5 to keep it run in my latest OS, but unfortunatly this option is missed.

I can't even buy a CC version without a subscription plan that has a lot of side factors for my business workflow...

So actually I think things going to a certain point not by chance, expecially if you don't have competitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 is STILL my favorite version of Illustrator. The latest versions have lost functionality that will probably never be addressed. I've documented it and reported it to little avail. That's why I will continue running an older OS that will run CC 2014 and CS5. If I had to choose one I'd choose CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid the crash, avoid links . Embed the image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, avoid links. The eyedropper works OK with solid colour, but sampling a graded tone makes it crash. Sampling from a from a placed jpeg (with its link) causes a crash, if the jpeg is embedded, it doesn't. Simple quitting does also,but as each time it quits a report is automatically sent to Apple, I don't mind, as it doesn't seem to bring any other problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Webographe - it helped solve my problem. I hope more people read your response! It is the shortest yet most helpful answer on the forum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An actual answer, guys! This completely worked! I'm running CS5 and El Capitan, and embedding the image allows the eyedropper to work perfectly in this environment. Hope you other commenters figure out who is at fault for this grave injustice (the user, Adobe, or Apple)-- I'll be grabbing colors in Illustrator!

Thanks much Webographe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with Illustrator CS5.1 when using the eyedropper tool, on any kind of object, I haven't discovered a pattern yet. Illustrator is my main tool of work and the eyedropper is essential. It's infuriating.

It was working perfectly on Yosemite.

I just can't upgrade my software for now (I work for a company, bureaucracy), and I'm not willing to downgrade my OS because I was having other unrelated problems with Yosemite (printer drivers, etc).

Also, my illustrator isn't saving the preferences, recent items, etc.

I hope that there's a solution to this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came across this post as I was having the exact same issues as the OP. Illustrator also crashes on quitting which is the reason people aren't seeing an updated list of recent items etc. From what I know, I would say that there isn't an easy fix for the problems Illustrator CS5 is having on El Capitan. Best bet for anyone using CS5 regularly is to downgrade to Yosemite.

I went back to Yosemite the next day and will stay there - until I find some free time to learn Affinity Designer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, others,

You may try to update the ElCapitan 10.11 build to 15A284 and see wether it solves the issues. First posted by Rama here:

Re: Right Click doesn't work at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines