• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS5 + Mac El Capitan = Crashing!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue ever since installing El Capitan. When using Adobe Illustrator CS5, any time I attempt to use the Eyedropper tool, the program will crash as soon as I click on the object I'm trying to copy the color of.

I have noticed that I am able to use the eyedropper successfully ONLY when copying the color of a SOLID color object. If I attempt to copy the color of an object with a gradient-fill, or copy a color from an embedded image/photo, the crash is immediate.

The issue is happening on both my Macbook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) and my iMac (24-inch, Early 2008).

PLEASE help. I am very reliant on using Adobe Illustrator for my job.

Any advice will help, or if you are experiencing the same (or similar) issue let me know so I can avoid anything that will cause the crash!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

El Capitan is not a supported operating system for CS5.

Please refer to system requirements here: System requirements | Adobe Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 188 Replies 188
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agh! I need this now! When will it be released?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then download the El Captain beta version 10.11.4 and you will be hopefully set

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thanks! I hope it works- last time I updated something I could have killed myself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar problems. I upgraded to El Capitan because I was having problems with Safari. Pop ups were causing screen freezing,and other issues. After installing it, Illustrator is all screwed up! Font drop down is invisible, white on white, can only see one font at a time. Eye dropper causes illustrator to quit. I get a crash message when i intentionally quit. And, some of my text files are corrupted. They make no sense, just a bunch of senseless letters and punctuation marks. I'm bringing my Mac to the Genius Bar tomorrow. But, not too hopefully they can do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reinstall your Adobe apps after updating the OS? Your other problems can be somewhat alleviated. For the font problem, go to System Preferences>Accessibility>Display and check the box that says Reduce Transparency. No one has come up with a solution to the Eyedropper problem yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Preferences in Illustrator or the Mac? I don't see "Accessibility" in the Illustrator drop down. And System Preferences on the Mac has "Accessibility", but does not have "Reduce Transparency". Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Preferences not Illustrator Preferences. In the Accessibility dialog, look at the box on the left for Display. When you activate it, you should see the options for the Display. One is the checkbox about halfway down on the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it. I was looking at the Apple logo drop down. Then I tried the Finder screen and got it. Thanks . It fixed the type drop down. But, It did not fix the nonsense text in the corrupted files. I use Illustrator for everything. Including letters and writing down recipes. Those types of files have converted to nonsense letters and punctuation marks. I can bring them back from my back up. But, if I drop them in Illustrator to make a change, they revert back to nonsense. The PDF is okay, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leave it on permanently until you update AI. What font is being used in the files which show these problems? Is it by any chance an old PS Type 1 font? Newer OSes won't use these fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I change the font will it make it readable? Helvetica?

Didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, what font and type is being used in the files which exhibit the problem. It sounds as though they were made with a Windows TrueType font like Calibri. The Mac version of the font is completely different and will produce gibberish when the Windows version is opened on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't identify it in Illustrator. But, I'm fairly certain it is Palatino.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Palatino? TT or PS Type 1? To check, you can try opening the file with a text editor and search for the word font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TT is what is shown in my drop down menu. So, I suspect that is what it is. I don't know how to open with a text editor. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then there should be no problem. Can you share a file with this problem on Dropbox or other file sharing site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, is it okay to leave the Reduce Transparency off permanently? Or, should I just turn it off when I need to see the fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"No one has come up with a solution to the Eyedropper problem yet."

Embed the image. Linked images crash AI, embedded do not. That answer is in a few posts in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The eyedropper crashes Dreamweaver CS5, and interestingly my Coreldraw and Photopaint which I run through parallels. Weird. I'm guessing it's all El Capitan related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

El Capitan is not a supported operating system for CS5.

Please refer to system requirements here: System requirements | Adobe Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Went to Apple Store. Spent 2 hours with a Genius. He did everything and anything to get Illustrator to work properly. Including reinstalling it and updating it. Nothing worked. I guess I will have to get the subscription for the new Adobe programs. I only use Illustrator and Photoshop. So, It will be $28 a month. Most of my clients are using that and it will also make me compatible with them. Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Debra, I just installed the beta version of el cap and 99%+ everything works and no crash's with dropper or for that matter with anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know there were different versions of the OS. I installed what was on the Apple web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is a beta version available and it worked for me. Sign up for apple beta program here: Apple Beta Software Program

Then download the El Captain beta version 10.11.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Plum,

Are you finding that 10.11.4 fixed issues with CS5.5? i.e., Issues that you experienced on earlier Builds of El Capitan are no longer a problem?

Eyedropper not crashing?

If 10.11.4 fixed issues with CS5.5 and particularly Illustrator, thesis great news! You may want to start a new topic/thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no choice but to upgrade to Adibe Creative Cloud. I brought my computer to the Genious Bar at the Short Hills store. They went above and beyond, trying to fix it. But, there is a compatibility issue. I would suggest to you that you let Adobe users know that El Capitan does not support CS5.5. But, I needed to update Safari, so.... Apple Care and the person at the Genious Bar were great! But, you can't fix what can't be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines