• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS5 + Mac El Capitan = Crashing!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue ever since installing El Capitan. When using Adobe Illustrator CS5, any time I attempt to use the Eyedropper tool, the program will crash as soon as I click on the object I'm trying to copy the color of.

I have noticed that I am able to use the eyedropper successfully ONLY when copying the color of a SOLID color object. If I attempt to copy the color of an object with a gradient-fill, or copy a color from an embedded image/photo, the crash is immediate.

The issue is happening on both my Macbook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) and my iMac (24-inch, Early 2008).

PLEASE help. I am very reliant on using Adobe Illustrator for my job.

Any advice will help, or if you are experiencing the same (or similar) issue let me know so I can avoid anything that will cause the crash!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

El Capitan is not a supported operating system for CS5.

Please refer to system requirements here: System requirements | Adobe Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 188 Replies 188
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does it default to being able to only save to the folder from which it opened the ai file from?

have you tried to see if the other programs can save to folder of choice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bici:

"I just tried it and i can save to where ever i chose...

does it default to being able to only save to the folder from which it opened the ai file from?

have you tried to see if the other programs can save to folder of choice?"

I can only save in the default location, which is Documents. When the Save As dialog comes up, Documents is listed. If I click on the save loation and change it, the instant I release the mouse, AI crashes.

"have you tried to see if the other programs can save to folder of choice?"

Illustrator is the only CS5 program I have running. Everything else on my machine is CC. Again, I just need ONE specific function of CS5, which is Live Trace.

"After all these hacks one can only conclude that these issues  rest in Adobe's court to fix -  even if these CSX are so called end of life."

Look, if Adobe offers a solution, I'm all for it. Also, I appreciate that you are one of the only people actively seeking a solution and posting possible fixes. But, I don't understand your insistence that this is Adobes problem...

The EXACT SAME installer was used by me for Snow Leopard, Mavericks and Yosemite, and AI worked perfectly fine with all of them. It was only when APPLE updated the OS to El Capitan that this issue began. It was APPLE's code that changed, NOT ADOBE's, so why would Adobe be responsible for the fix? This sits squarely on the shoulders of Apple. Asking for Adobe to fix and issue they DID NOT CREATE on software that is years old now seems like a waste of energy and typing. No offense, I'm not trolling you, I just don't see how this is possibly a problem on Adobes end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offence taken. From my persecutive because of the things i had to do to make CS5 no longer crash was to with Adobe. Secondly their UPDATE fails to update CS5. Their Updater is flawed which must be really embarrassing for them. Why would El Capitan be responsible that the colour  picker being  wonky and causing  crashes?  

Now if the damm  updater program  were to run successfully then i would Think Differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 01, 2016 Jan 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick heads-up - while the in-app update indeed fails, the individual app update downloads from the Adobe website work fine. Don't know why, or who's to blame/credit but it's the reality and I'd suggest you give it a shot.

Cheers,

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi andy happy new year.

i'll try again but for me both methods of Update- Auto and Manual -  failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a Happy New Year right back atcha...

Sorry to hear that both methods fail for you. Other than a bogus "failed" warning when I updated InDesign - It actually succeeded, as evidenced by the 7.0.4 appended in the "About" box and the fact that the app works without glitches - manually updating each individual app went fine here. Not that my fortunate happenstance helps you, of course, but it may offer you some glimmer of hope.

Let us know how you went once you've retried the updates.

Cheers.

PS: I disabled the El Cap SIP and it remains disabled, at least until I'm sure that all my apps work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. i have never heard of the El Cap SIP ... what is it and can it be easily disabled without ill effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The El Capitan SIP. Have a look here:

It's a new-ish security layer Apple has implemented which makes it difficult to install software that modifies some kernel extensions or other system files that Apple has decided compromise the security of its recent OS version. Of course, they haven't implemented it in other older versions of the OS so you'd deduce from that there are no ill effects in not having it activated, or if it's actually necessary at all, but that's another topic.

Suffice to say that some stuff will simply fail to install while it's enabled, so I have disabled it. It's simple enough to enable it again once you've installed what has been prevented while SIP was enabled. I mentioned it in case my having no SIP contributed to my success at updating my CS5 apps.

HTH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS your saving to different folder is discussed here with a possible solution. It may be that al our problems may have to do with permission settings

Re: When trying to select a folder to save a file, illustrator crashes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, changing to CS5ServiceManager.bak works for me on Illustrator and In Design, no more crashing on quitting. Only had one Library to change though in MacintoshHD, there isn't one in User for me. I upgraded from Lion direct to Crapitan, if that makes any difference. Illustrator still crashes with Eye Dropper if image is linked and not embedded. Haven't dared to check out Dreamweaver properly yet, as I've always found it so unfriendly anyway. Mac OS 10.11.2 update makes no difference to all this.

Keep on trying everyone, there are lots of us out here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody!

This post is my way to repay to the community.

I'll show you how I solved most of the problems with installing CS5 on a Clean Install of El Capitan 11.3 on a MacBook Pro Retina 2012. Suggested methods and tips have been collected not only from this thread, but also from other treads in forum.adobe and from elsewhere. That is why I think some of you may find this very long post worthwhile reading.

I didn't install all of CS5, but the following: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and (unwillingly) Bridge.

In addition to that, I installed Acrobat XI and Lightroom.

I also have FrameMaker in Parallels virtual machine with Windows XP. (This is for full-on professional technical writers.)

It is very hard to do away with any of these programs unless there are alternatives that are compatible with them. The only program (of these) I am somewhat "in love with" is Lightroom.

My procedure

The installers I have for CS5 are base versions, i.e "dot zero" versions that preferably need to be updated after install.

I did read up on recommended solutions to problems before I installed CS5!

Due to the requirement for either Java 6 or a modified Java 8, I started downloading and installing Java 8 JRE (i.e the runtime version), being careful to untick the stupid ad-ware box that wanted to pollute Safari with Yahoo stuff. (As it turns out, JRE is not useful for the purpose of making CS5 work, it has to be JDK, but more on that below here.)

According to https://forums.adobe.com/message/7167153#7167153 I was supposed to modify files in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/, but it turns out that the JRE 8 never installs anything in that directory, so I could not follow the instruction!

I installed CS5, being careful to uncheck everything except the three apps mentioned. Specifically, uncheck fonts since you do not want /Library/Fonts/ filled with everything between heaven and earth! (I already have those fonts elsewhere.)

Despite I unchecked all fonts, it did anyway thrown 41 fonts into /Library/Fonts/ whether I wanted or not! It also installs Growl without telling me anything about it!

As expected, starting Photoshop says it requires Java 6 (since my attempt with Java 8 was unsuccessful, see above). It appears that Java 8 has to be the JDK, otherwise it will not install anything into /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/, which is necessary to do the "hack". But since Java 8 JDK is a whopping 227 MB, I opted to install Java 6 anyway from Apple's Site: javaforosx.dmg at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572.

This made it possible to start Photoshop, entering license etc. All three apps started fine, but they all crashed on quit as expected (as has been reported in these threads).

Now I followed the procedure in https://forums.adobe.com/message/8343617#8343617. I.e rename both versions of CS5.5ServiceManager to CS5.5ServiceManager.bak. That fixed the crash on quit, and also made startup of apps faster. (It will not, however, fix the crash in Illustrator when using the Eye dropper on images.)

I have also verified that in Illustrator I can Save As and chose any location I want, regardless if the location is chosen in List view or Column view, except that I cannot go up in hierarchy by clicking the popup menu and chose an enclosing folder (which makes it crash)! Crashing in this case has been reported as a big problem with Illustrator CS5. The workaround is to chose a higher folder in the list to the left and then navigate down to where you want, or use Column view.

Since I installed Java 6 JRE, which is a security threat, I now installed Java 8 JRE again, which installs the latest browser plugins. This will at least make java "browsers safe".

(I am not sure, however, if I should do away with the Java 6 plugin that remains in the directory /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/ – it appears not to be used at all for browsers (which instead use /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/), but perhaps the old one is used by certain local software?  Is it still needed by the installed CS5? At least Photoshop is said not to use it at all except on first run. Is there a risk here? If you know anything about this, please respond.

Now I updated the apps:

I downloaded the updaters for these three apps to make them Photoshop 12.04, Illustrator 15.0.2, InDesign 7.0.4. They are from 2010 and 2011. When attempting to run any of them, however, I get: "“AdobePatchInstaller” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should eject the disk image.".

I then tried updating from inside the apps, but I got: "There was an error downloading this update. Please quit and try again later." and also at the end "Some updates failed to install".

I now discovered that if I change Security & Privacy in System Preferences to "Anywhere", then those stand-alone updaters I had dowloaded earlier worked without claiming to be damaged! For Illustrator it worked perfectly, but for Photoshop and InDesign it says in the end "Done with Errors". That error message appears to be relatively harmless, since all three apps run well and are updated to the version claimed they should be.

These updaters, however, dumped 87 MB worth of junk into "Adobe/AdobePatchFiles/"! Why? I really doubt they can ever be useful for anything, so I simply deleted them all including the folder! I really hate when bastards are just filling my computer with junk and debris! Would they behave like that if I invited them to my home?!

AdobeAAMDetect.plugin is also installed in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/. According to http://superuser.com/questions/964449/what-is-the-adobeaamdetect-plugin-and-how-can-i-uninstall-it it only checks for the existence of Adobe Application Manager, and it is necessary to have there, unfortunately. So one should NOT delete that one I think, but I am still a bit uncertain what will be broken if I do delete it. We all know that there will never be any more updates to CS5, so one can speculate in if this dirt is still needed in order to run these three CS5 apps. If you know anything about this, please respond.

Well, that's it! These apps appear to work fine, and I can Save As Illustrator to wherever I want (with some care). The eye-dropper crash, however, is a different animal, and people have said that if you avoid links and gradual fillings there will be no problem. For me, Illustrator is primarily used to be able to edit legacy files.

What remains were installation of Acrobat XI and Lightroom. Acrobat went fairly ok (a whole gigabyte!), but it does install two plugins into /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/: AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin. Many people report trouble with these, and Apples own pdf renderer is very much faster. I moved both to Disabled Plug-Ins.

Epolog

I could, in theory, get hold of CS6, but from what I have read, it is almost as troublesome as CS5. (The Cloud is not even an option.) CS 5 does what I need, but it is unfortunately not retina. On the other hand, when I use these CS apps I often use an external big monitor that is not retina, so it is not such a big deal. Lightroom, however, is retina and I often use that on my MacBook Pro without en external monitor.

Lightroom is the only Adobe app that is a breeze to install, and with a friendly attitude that lets me remain the master, and not the slave! This is in stark contrast to the incredibly invasive CS and Acrobat that dumps inordinate and exorbitant amounts of preposterous fat junk and debris scattered throughout the whole computer, often with the result of huge gnarly problems, bugs, and/or snail slow performance, at absolutely no benefit to most pro users!

The same can be said about Microsoft, which has no respect whatsoever for the owner of the computer! To Adobe's defense, however, I can say that when the app actually does work well, it is usually a pleasure to use (although with an exorbitant hunger for CPU cycles). Using Microsoft software, however, is never a pleasure — especially with Word, it is a recipe for a nervous breakdown that can drive any serious person into a psychological wreck!

It is therefore nice to hear that there actually are a few rare companies that actually dare to compete with the big sharks and bulls — I am here thinking of Affinity Photo. What I would love to see is a competitor to both FrameMaker and Word, but with the nicety of Apple's Pages!

As for Apple pro apps, or close-to-pro, I never trust them because after a few years Apple will usually decide that it is not in their "core business", and therefore they dump them. Users are suddenly left with a huge pile of documents that are incompatible with everything between heaven and earth!

Enough of bashing the big companies for now. Let's hope for improvements!

Perhaps, someday, even Linux gets nice pro-software...

Harald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we need to do a kickstarter or crowdsource / fund a project for those two schools to get some nerds (I'm a nerd... relax...) together and fix the issue for those of us who were tricked into upgrading because we thought it was right to do and we were reminded in the app store that it was available and free; but still don't want to (or can't) pay the monthly subscription fees for cc. If only it could be an open source hack, or some command line jabberwoky that was setup as an easy set of instructions or better yet an automator script.  Click here... fixed. <-- would be nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can afford a kickstarter just upgrade your software. You upgraded your system. Often that leaves your old apps not working any more and you have to upgrade them. Nothing new here, it has always been like this. In Adobe's world, their customers regularly upgrade, and if they choose not to, they should choose to live in a frozen system. Frankly I am all out of sympathy. Your choice: new system or old app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test Screen, I can identify with your statement but I don't think I'm the only one who finds many of the tools and features simply WORK BETTER and FASTER in older versions. I can give you a list of reasons I still need CS5 even though I have CC 2014. That's why I continue to use an older system that will run both. I do NOT look forward to being forced to "upgrade" and lose CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is easy enough for a person to say who works for a large company or who can afford the fees to pay for the new software when the CS4 serves them perfectly well.  At least it did until I switched to the iMac.  I use InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat Pro.  I cannot afford to pay monthly fees on those.  I don't think that most home owners or small businesses can.

Enough people are using the older versions of the programs that Apple should find a way to correct what is certainly a bug in El Capitan.  My iMac just arrived on December 29.  Other than that, I'm fairly pleased with it, but it's not worth much to me if the Adobe Suite CS4 doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test Screen Name,

Please be aware that the consumers who are affected and do care about the upgrade's crippling effects on their current version of illustrator are not interested in your opinion nor you frankness on no sympathy. Those users just want the items they paid for to work properly. If there wasn't a problem you wouldn't hear from them. I'm not even concerned personally but I'm a bit put out by impersonal statements that have been made about this debacle similar to the one you have made. Let them try to get some help if they need it and stop worrying about their situation not fitting your standards or generalizations.  BTW. I wonder if you've seen this article stating, "According to the lawsuit, the plaintiffs were forced to either live with a "slow and buggy" device that "disrupts every day life" or shell out hundreds of dollars for a new iPhone. "

I'd like to know your thoughts on how the outcome's precedent could affect this circumstance.

BTW. I was just kidding about KickStarter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So. some would think that we should face the music and live with the fact that CS5 is End of Life. As with people so with programs ... there is another side that fights to hold on. And rightly so.

In Cuba especially Havana there are more End of Life cars on the road that brand new plastic autos that all look alike. Lovely they are.

When the End finally comes.... i won't be using any Cloudy Thingy.

peace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the problem with a brand new iMac, so my software Adobe CS4 Master Collection was installed after the operating system with just Microsoft Office added before. 

There are problems with the Acrobat Pro 9, but the worst is with Illustrator.  It crashes 95% of the time when I try to save my work or export the art work to a .jpg.  The only message given is whether I want to ignore-- this is hard to ignore-- send a message to Apple, which I'm frustrated enough to usually do, or restart.  But the work is lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 and El Capitan is not compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has got to be a better answer than that!  I need CS4 for my work.  Are you suggesting that I return the new iMac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wpbpatfl schrieb:

There has got to be a better answer than that!  I need CS4 for my work.  Are you suggesting that I return the new iMac?

You could also install 10.6 in a virtual machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is 10.6 recommended for CS4? CS5 works fine on 10.8.5. I'm guessing CS4 would too.

As for taking back the new iMac, I don't think that would be out of the question. Was your old one working fine? New is not necessarily better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have obscure bugs, it's not worth fixing old versions - granted

But when you installed base of millions of users systematically crash and lose work every time they use your product, then you are creating very bad will and it's worth fixing.

Six months on and we have no evidence that Adobe is interested: no fix, no communication on a fix.

I've voted with my feet and have purchased Affinity: cheap, absurdly fast, CS compatible, no subscription. Ever. Free upgrades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity is a promising alternative. Too bad it is Mac-only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you for the the shout-out! Affinity looks very promising. I hope they will come out with a page layout app. it must be in the works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines