• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS6 - Lagging - extremely slow!!

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any one experinced CS6 Illustrator lagging and responding extremely slow. For example if I try to move a vector graphic it takes a few seconds before it re-freshes and updates. That goes for about everything re-sizing, moving, editing.....

I know it's not my computer. CS5 worked great. My computer is a Mac Pro running with 16GB of ram and solid state drives.

Any one have any suggestions??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new user accunt on your mac login using the newly created user and see if it changes things for you. Make sure you also have the latest OS updates installed on your mahine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should have a look at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4415360

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue except its for my PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same problem, and it was almost unbearable to work. Then i found this solution to run your adobe illustrator in windowed mode ) 

Left click adobe illustrator exe file, go to the properties, then shortcut tab, and see below Target: now you just have to paste this  -w 1600 -h 900 in your target location and hit apply ok. Please set your resolution according to your LED monitor size. hope this helped.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is not very clear to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2015 Dec 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - windowed mode solved all problems for me immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ilovetoeat

JudeVBrown‌

Would either of you mind explaining  "windowed mode" a little more in depth?  Or take a screenshot for us?    I tried this but believe I'm doing something incorrectly.

Thanks much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Anyone notice a gradual slowdown? Typically if I restart AI it fixes the slow. It's almost as if it's updating a cache of every window I open. Also, why am I always asked if I want to clear the clipboard? Apologies, thats probably unrelated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this same issue. It's almost unbearable to work in. Any good solutions yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here... Very slow, even selecting items on the menu has been lagging lately, very frustrating. I also tried removing "smart guides", "snap to point", did everything to optimize Illustrator - all without luck. And I'm running on a machine that's rather old (2011), but has 16Gb of RAM, so I shouldn't be experiencing these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is unbearable, any form of editing leaves me with a pause of around 5 seconds before the action is completed.

Processor

• 1.4GHz
    dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache

Memory

• 8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory

Storage1

• 500GB (5400-rpm) hard drive

Around 12 months old, it has been blasted, might need re-formating but this should be a last resort as its my employment console. All Adobe CC software upto date. Tell me what to do pleaase!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at my wits' end on this as well. Unbearable slow down after working in a file for 2-3 hours.

Turning off 'smart guides' and 'snap to points' has not helped as I've seen suggested on other discussions. Plus I rely on these a great deal, so I don't feel like that is a workable solution for me.

Restarting my computer and/or closing and reopening AI will fix temporarily, but will start to slow down again over time.

Does anyone else use CADtools for AI? I've wondered if anyone else has experienced issues with that plug in...

Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same issue but am not using any plug ins - its really a deal breaker for me - thinking of switching to sketch (with its own issues) or affinity. I'm SO disappointed by this.

My files are large as I use AI for interaction design with lots of embedded images and many artboards - and I am saving these to dropbox folders - so potentially some issues there I will need to troubleshoot.

Noticed also when I use github desktop client I get super laggy as github tries to compute all the changes in a binary file (if it is checked into a repo)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting exactly the same, I'm on a PC with Windows 10. I'm on a fast machine, Intel i7-4770K running at 3.5GHz with 32GB of fast RAM and a fast SSD.

It's just taken me nearly an hour to do something that should take about 2 minutes! Literally just load a file, select everything on a layer, and copy it to the clipboard... it's not even a hugely complicated piece!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happening here! I got a weird message that one of my files contains data that will cause it to run very slow. I have updated my video card drivers, illustrator is fully updated. HELP! I am on a deadline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried to work with other files, little improvement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! I have a document that is 5MB large and it is giving me the spinning wheel of death every time i do one little thing! it also took forever to load

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried re-saving the file over the original? This will clean out the PDF-portion history cache which might contain lots of extraneous data like old previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on PC. Windowed mode didn't help. Have any solutions been found for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on my Windows 10 PC. I had no problems in the past, but since a few weeks Illustrator becomes extremely slow by time and crashes after a while. Restart helps, but only for a while.

What is the "Windows mode"?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround:

Running in windowed mode solves this problem if you can endure floaty windows

Super Super slow! It got so bad I was waiting over a minute for 8 nudges of a a few simple shapes.

Purge, Restart, Safe mode, running alone is not solving this problem.

Ai ,AE and Premiere are all suffering severely from bugs and speed problems throughout 2015.

Running Ai 2014 might be a solution that we haven't explored yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update… running in windowed mode… meh. Doesn't lsat long at all then it's awful again. Specially with a wacom

This has been a really bad year for CC products. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is what I'm thinking.  If CS6 was working great for most of us, what is causing the lag with CC? 

My Theories:

A)  Unsupported GPU

My GPU is not supported in Illustrator CC.  Although the models before and after mine are.

When I go into Outline Mode, I'm able to move around on the page much much faster.

B) Ram/Scratch disk

I think this might be a memory issue.  When I open smaller files, CC moves really quickly, just like CS6.  But when I open a file with tons of elements, a few Fonts, a few images and tons of artboards and elements, things LAG really really bad, as the rest of you reported.

Has anyone experienced improvements with small files or using Outline mode?

Also has anyone tried hooking up a big blank external scratch disc?  I'm going to try the scratch disc method as I don't feel like spending money on Ram or a new Graphics Card. (I should have just bought a Mac, ha!)

I also may try CC out on my desktop which is a custom build PC.

I'll let everyone know what I find.  Please let me know if any of you find any solutions.

Thanks

-Eric

EF Creative (@efcreate) • Instagram photos and videos

Behance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines