• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator drawing area?

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to expand the drawing area in Illustrator CS5, an I cant how can I do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

The maximum area allowed for use by AI is approximately 227 inches square. There is no way to increase this. If you need a larger work area, you will need to work at scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The maximum area allowed for use by AI is approximately 227 inches square. There is no way to increase this. If you need a larger work area, you will need to work at scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks Larry for your help.

Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is true, because I recieved a document in .ai format and the drawing area is over 1437"x 1168". I just haven't figured out how they did it. My drawing area is still the standard, but how did they get their's so big?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was true until Illustrator version 24, last year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fakhar Saleem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will work for a few.
But it's very inconvenient for multiple storyboard scenes when exporting. Also it is a work around. We are all paying outrageous amounts for this software compared to alternatives and this issue has been widely talked about for at least 10 years now. 

I compromise with my toddler. I shouldn't have to with software I pay for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2022, 11 years after the inital post. How is this not fixed yet? 

why is there even a drawing area? why not just have on an artboard, or not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can't move the objects. The requested transformation would make some objects fall completely off the drawing area."

Any update when this error will be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what circumstances are you seeing this message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can't move the objects. The requested transformation would make some objects fall completely off the drawing area."

Any update when this error will be fixed?

By @mrfunwin

You are most probably trying to move guides diagonally. Since they 95% of the time cover the complete canvas, this is not possible.

If you are not moving guides, then the next possible cause is that you deleted your guides the wrong way and there are leftovers on the edges of the artboard. Search for single anchor points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get this message too, when using larger scenes in a clipping mask, whilst using many artboards for storyboarding. When I try to move a mask-clipped scene sideways, where the result would make the invisble aspects fall outside of the 'drawing area'. This message appears for me too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this still a thing? I don't like designing to scale - it's very imprecise and can result in things being off when they go to print. any plans to expand or remove the limits of the drawing area? It is not exactly a rare use case to create billboards and wall graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another reason for wanting this area to be managable is so a person can have multiple art boards. I need, or may I say want, more!

Oh well! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1. Instead of asking me to design to scale, it seems like it would be reasonable for the drawing area to scale, no? At the moment, I'm trying to design multiple versions of the same 10' x 3' signage, and I like to look at them all at once, so multiple artboards is the best way to do it. I can't fit too many on there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of asking me to design to scale, it seems like it would be reasonable for the drawing area to scale, no?

reasonable perhaps, but it's currently impossible, so what else can anyone say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course. I'm suggesting this should be a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

staff have been getting user feedback on the canvas area recently, so you might not have to wait very long.

Workflows that need large canvas / artboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are collecting feedback on this matter for over than 10 years. Still this feautre have not been added.
I know many people who made transition to AFdesigner or other software due to many issues and bugs - many of them trivial like  type tool lag in Indesign (which is fixed a month ago but was issue for a long period of time - since CC2017)

Lets face it, Adobe just don't pay enough attention on the user generated feedback on their product which is more and more bugged.
I hope many designers will realise that Adobe is not only software out there and go for another option. Maybe than they will do something about thousands of people which are unsatisfied about same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was promising that they were asking directly at the time, but evidently it went nowhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, It is still a issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. This has not changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet here we are still waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you waiting for? The feature isn't perfect, but it has been implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines