• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator files saving as Photoshop files???

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just downloaded illustrator, photoshop and indesign to my computer. I already have some experience with the programs.
I started working on a project on illustrator, saved it and went on with my day. When I came back to open the file it opened as if it was a photoshop file.
I went back to illustrator thinking that maybe I chose to save the file as a photoshop file by accident. So I opened my recent projects, re-saved it, made sure it said ".ai" (that it was being saved as an illustrator file as it should have) at the end.

And once again, when I go to look for the file, it opens in photoshop even though the file is saved as a ".ai"
Please let me know if any of this is confusing, and please help me out with whatever you know.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Which operating system?

And once again, when I go to look for the file, it opens in photoshop even though the file is saved as a ".ai"

Are you opening via Windows Explorer or Mac Finder?

Are your file associations for AI files set to be opened by Illustrator?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4028161/windows-10-change-default-programs

https://www.imore.com/how-set-mac-app-default-when-opening-file

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Hey so my file associations were messed up. I had ".ai" files set to open with Photoshop.

Thank you for helping me out and thank you for the links!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which operating system?

Are you opening via Windows Explorer or Mac Finder?

Are your file associations for AI files set to be opened by Illustrator?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4028161/windows-10-change-default-programs

https://www.imore.com/how-set-mac-app-default-when-opening-file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey so my file associations were messed up. I had ".ai" files set to open with Photoshop.

Thank you for helping me out and thank you for the links!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My best guess is that you messed the file associations.

You can‘t save Illustrator files (using save or save as) out of illustrator as Photoshop files.

How to save artwork in Illustrator

You can in Windows at least, associate Illustrator files to open with Photoshop.

It would now be needed to know your OS and version. Also look at the file extension. Is it PSD or AI?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I had accidentally set .AI files to open with photoshop. The file extension had been AI the whole time.
Thank you for helping! I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion successfully moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system and what Version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not being clear, my OS is Windows 10, I'm using the latest version of the programs (Illustrator CC), and the file extension is AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for your next excurse here: Give as much information as you can. This helps all of us to give your the best advice. What you should always include is the OS and version AND the exact version of your programs. “the latest version” may be true or not, but will be untrue after the nex version comes out. Also you may think having the latest version. The exact version number (help->about for example) will tell you and help the whole community a lot.

For the remaining: I’m happy that your problem has found the correct solution and please feel free to ask your next question. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is also happns with me , please help me out . How u recover this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have some suggestions here and it will support some common workflows between Photoshop and Illustrator: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html and for vice versa, see this: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/use-illustrator-artwork-in-photoshop.html

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2024 Mar 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my files authomaticaly went as psd files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Derrick364383839a8b,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind sharing some more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, details about your workflow, and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3xvuEuG), so we can better assist you?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines