Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator FontForge

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I made my first font in Illustrator and now am in the process of getting it to work in FontForge so working with the letter A.

I saved it as an SVG in Illustrator and then opened it in font forge, however in font forge, rather than seeing a single line per single line in Illustrator, I see the letter as an outline of the line seen in Illustrator i.e. if I make the font with a really thick stroke in Illustrator then, I see this translated into FontForge. Any ideas on how to avoid this problem? Is there some setting in Illustrator that I'm not clicking?

Sorry it's a bit of a FontForge question as well.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Ah you guys found the problem. It was just the outline, tried filling it in and having a zero border and it now all works!

Thanks very much! .

Compound curves... had a look at your video Monika, good intro on the topic, wasn't aware of how vector graphics worked exactly. Still not proficient with this concept but at least I'm aware of it now, thanks for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried importing them as EPS instead? I've found in the past that worked OK (different font design application though, but it might not do any harm trying 😉 ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried EPS, got an error:

I'm sorry this file is too complex for me to understand (or is erroneous, or is empty)

Worth a shot though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try an older EPS version, Illustrator 3 or 8 EPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish I could, I've only got CS5. Unless there's an option somewhere that I'm not aware of, but I can't see any options in the save as window for other than just the .eps format that CS5 comes with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to do that.

Choose Save as EPS, Click  Save and these options will allow you to save as an older version.

This is from CS4:

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 14.00.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, not sure how I missed that when I was going through the save dialogue box, but still get the same error unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is in your saved files?

Please show screenshots of preview and outline?

Do you have just one letter in each EPS?

Or the complete alphabet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very basic letter. Just trying to get the A to work for the moment.A.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks simple.

Is it filled?

Try to select the entire A and choose Select > Inverse and delete whatever may be selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it already a compound path?

Which fill rule did you apply?

For a font it should be Non-Zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah you guys found the problem. It was just the outline, tried filling it in and having a zero border and it now all works!

Thanks very much! .

Compound curves... had a look at your video Monika, good intro on the topic, wasn't aware of how vector graphics worked exactly. Still not proficient with this concept but at least I'm aware of it now, thanks for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Adobe have a features. if i make a favorites fonts in one software (illustrator). that fonts can i shows in favorites list in another software (photoshop, or etc..).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @ujjwal33414262mub8,

Thanks for reaching out. At this time, this functionality is not available. Would you mind creating a UserVoice (https://adobe.ly/3uYCDzc) for this feature request and adding your comments there? Doing this will help us prioritize this request, and you will be notified of any updates.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines