• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator gets stuck on hand tool

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2009 Jul 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem with my Adobe Illustrator CS3 where I'll be using the pen tool, and out of nowhere (usually after I've undone a couple of things it seems), the program will get stuck on the hand tool, and won't switch to any other tool. Time seems to be the only remedy because the problem will persist even if I try to work on another file, or restart the program. It also carries over to Photoshop, which I don't recall ever giving me this problem. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

TOPICS
Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Jul 13, 2014 Jul 13, 2014

I've found that having google chrome or safari open can cause random glitches in Adobe programmes. Quit any search engine you may be using and see if the glitch goes away, if not, quit the adobe programme that you are using and restart. It should now be back to normal when booted back up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you. It was the space bar on my keyboard. That worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

None of the solutions mentioned applied to me. Spacebar wasnt it. I restarted my computer and it fixed the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2009 Jul 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your space bar is stuck on the keyboard. It may be time for a new keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the spacebar. I wish it were that easy. I'm having the same problem in Illustrator and InDesign. It started after the Windows 10 update, but I don't know if its the Windows update or the recent Adobe update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem... it's very annoying sometimes I get very angry... Still no solutions, 2 months already having this situation 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it! Thanks Scott!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It was the space bar on my keyboard. That worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ding Ding Ding! Problem solved... Much appricted, you just saved me throwing my computer out of a window lol!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEP, this just got me too. Banged on the keyboard a bit and all is well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Not it. Only restarts work. It's 2023 & 14 years later Adobe still hasn't fixed this bug. SMH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold "shift" and "Spacebar" together = problem solved!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 27, 2009 Jul 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have another keyboard laying around you could try hooking it up to see if you get the hand tool or if this resolves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2009 Jul 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't think it is a spacebar problem. Look at http://www.davidbisset.com/2007/12/15/photoshop-stuck-on-hand-toolicon/ for shared concern with many people. I have been encountering this on just about all tool-related programs -Illustrator CS4, Painter 11, Photoshop CS2. Every time the problem clears in a few minutes. I have XP Pro, 3 GB of RAM, Duo Core 2.40GHz - no memory issues. I suspect the problem is software related in how it is using computer resources - possible conflict with some Microsoft performance addition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2009 Jul 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might or mght not be an issue you are having but i have to say taking the approach orf selective choosintgg the answers will not solve your problem if Scott is correct then all the time you spend looking for your perfect software solution will be very costly.

Why don't you first check it out instead of dismissing what might be a problem with a $30 solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2009 Aug 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, also in Photoshop CS4 extended. 

1)  I just re-Ghosted to a pristine Ghost image to rule-out OS/software issues on my end.  I'll post how that goes once I reinstall the Adobe. 

2)  Diagnostics report no memory or other hardware errors.  Also, I've done a Symantec disk check, and no disk errors are reported. 

3)  Also, while the keyboard notion is a good thought, I'm thinking that we can't all have keyboard issues.  My keyboard is almost new and every key works beautifully.  Here is a filtered forum listing of others having the same issue.  As you can see, this is very widespread.

http://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=hand+tool&resultTypes=MESSAGE&resultTypes=COMMUNITY&peopleEnab...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2009 Aug 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that the spacebar will release the hand tool for normal use, so I now think that the problem is the coding for the hand tool over-riding all other tools when used to move the stage or workspace onscreen. This is, afterall, a programmed use (and a good one) when other tools are selected and you need to quickly adjust the workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!! I was panicking until I beat the crap out of my space bar... worked a treat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very Helpful hint, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to check the link but: "This page isn't available. Try checking the URL or visit a different page."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a link from 2009 and the forum has been migrated since. So all older links are invalid.

I suppose your issue is not with Illustrator CS4, right?

So which one are you using?

What you can check:

- hardware issues with the keyboard (stuck spacebar). Yes, the spacebar of a keyboard can stop working. Also check it for dirt

- other apps interfering (the list is long, just turn off everything else. Yes, this includes your browser, e-mail, video conferencing)

- the humble regular computer reboot. Do it daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues. I use Adobe Illustrator with the brush tool with my Wacom, which always gets stuck for me. When illustrating in Ai, I use a combination of my pen and the space bar for navigation. The hand tool appears when I use the space bar and goes away when I release it. It gets stuck randomly. When I hit save and the file is large, I attempt to move the page while it's saving a file, or I switch between apps. I don't know what triggers it, but it happens. 

I use a wireless keyboard, and the keyboard spacebar isn't stuck. It's a combo of things happening and a bug. The keyboard, Wacom, and Adobe may think the spacebar is still active, so it doesn't switch back to the previous tool when the spacebar shortcut is activated.

When this bug happens, I cut the power to my keyboard, which triggers the spacebar bug loop to close becuase the system is no longer connected to the keyboard. The tool resets itself, and I can go back to work. 

Hope this helps someone out there! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After viewing a Flash file that switches to fullscreen the hand tool seems locked in. Just click the spacebar to clear the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  That works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2009 Sep 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was driving me insane! (I've expreienced it in AI & PS CS4 after going fullscreen on a flash game from Facebook) The spacebar trick did it, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pressing the space bar worked for me (after trying all the other more time-consuming ideas...) upvote this suggestion lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2010 Dec 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all,

I had the same problem, but i found some wierd solution (Believe me it works...)

I do photoshop tutorials from Youtube. I use Mozilla most of the time and when i open PS CS4 i get struck with hand tool.

But when i use IE for youtube lessons, i dont get such crapy problems.

When i got struck with hand tool, i closed Mozilla and hit spacebar in PS CS4... hand tool dissapears.....

And it works lot of time and now i stopped using mozilla to open Youtube for my photography tutorials.

Any other suggestions please reply back.........

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines