Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator gradient help

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

can anyone help me figure out how to run a gradient following this shape? I want it to run from dark blue in the centre up and round to a bright green at the top point.

Thankyou 🙂

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 17.21.56.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Louise,

If the filled path was created as a stroked path with variable width, you can just go back to the original and apply the gradient along the stroke (always keep (a copy of) the original artwork when you start destroying it).

If you only have the path as filled and closed, in order to easily and accurately create a middle path that fits the shape, you can use a 1 step blend (can be used for varying width) as follows (Smart Guides are your friends):

1) Object>Blend>Blend Options, set Spacing t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could draw a path that follows the shape.

Apply a thick stroke

Apply a gradient to the stroke that follows along the path

Apply your shape as a clipping mask to the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! ill give it a go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Louise,

If the filled path was created as a stroked path with variable width, you can just go back to the original and apply the gradient along the stroke (always keep (a copy of) the original artwork when you start destroying it).

If you only have the path as filled and closed, in order to easily and accurately create a middle path that fits the shape, you can use a 1 step blend (can be used for varying width) as follows (Smart Guides are your friends):

1) Object>Blend>Blend Options, set Spacing to Specified Step with 1 step (that will prepare the right blend);

2) Copy the closed path and save the original path elsewhere or lock/hide it (always keep a copy of artwork you are going to destroy);

3) Select everything and switch from Fill to Stroke in the Toolbox (that will give you stroked paths (and you can see what you are doing));

4) First deselect by Clicking an empty spot and then with the Pen Tool Click one end Anchor Point (it will be the path on top), in order to reverse its direction, you may have to redo at the other end, see below;

6) Select everything and Object>Blend>Make;

If no middle path appears:

7) Ctrl/Cmd+Z to Undo 6), then redo 5) clicking at the other end, then redo 6), now the middle path should appear;

If the middle path fails to fit midway between the two parts:

8) Ctrl/Cmd+Z to Undo 6), then add one or more Anchor Points on either or both paths to get the best possible fit, then redo 6):

9) Object>Blend>Expand, then Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+G to Ungroup, then hide or delete both the original paths (that will give you the stroked path midway between the paths), then set the Stroke Weight as desired (you may use variable width).

You can see an older 1 step blend case here with screenshots (see especially post #7):

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8032700#8032700

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your questions has been answered already. Here's a visual.

Assign a stroke "Profile" to a simple stroke, then assign a gradient to the "Stroke" appearance. Choose middle Stroke option in the Gradient Panel to make the gradient follow the length of the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thats great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used "BLEND" as an alternative solution.

I applied the blend between two objects.

I applied the blend path to the sprial line I draw with the command "Replace Spline".

Maskeledim with Cliping Mask.

blend.jpg

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you this is a really good way of doing it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not going to suggest that you won't be able to tell which of these is the one I downloaded from the OP and which is my reconstruction of it, but I'd say that it's a simple left-to-right, 0° gradient applied to the fill.Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 4.44.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines