• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is automatically changing font weight upon opening

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several files that I am trying to open and edit, however upon opening, I have noticed that Illustrator has changed all of the weights to "Light". It's not just one file, it's multiple files, but it is happening all with the same font family: Quicksand.

I have already tried resetting my preferences, restarting my computer (multiple times), uninstalling the font and reinstalling, redownloading the font (since it's a google font), installing the static version of the font along with the variable type file, and even going as far as having a coworker send me their version of the font to make sure mine wasn't corrupt. I don't believe it's an issue with the files themselves because my coworker can open the files and the font weights display correctly. 

I am looking for any help and advice on what to do. It's going to be a problem if I end up having to edit every file upon opening to adjust it back to the weights we had originally designed with. I have attached a screenshot of what the file is supposed to look like (since I can't attach the AI file), the variable font file, and a screenshot of what the file looks like upon opening for me. 

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that the font caches on your computer have gone corrupt.

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-illustrator-indesign.html 

Are you sure that there is really just one version of that font installed on your computer? And not another one in another font folder (would be possible on a Mac). You are not using font management? Font management might also mess things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should search the forum, someone else had a similar problem, I'm not sure if they got a resolution or not...

I did not have any problems saving the standard five weights and a bunch of variable versions in both ai and pdf formats, saving, closing, opening and also saving, quitting, opening... (on a PC, Illy 27.2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been searching all morning using different search terms and didn't find anything. If you have a link to the post you saw, I would appreciate it!

I'm using a Mac, as is my coworker who isn't encountering the same problems I am. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@psatt5  schrieb:

I've been searching all morning using different search terms and didn't find anything. If you have a link to the post you saw, I would appreciate it!

I'm using a Mac, as is my coworker who isn't encountering the same problems I am. 

Definitely check whether there are copies of that font in the different font folders. There are 3 on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get it sort of working. I went to all of the locations I could find (all users, my role, everything in any library I could find a trace of the font) and deleted them all. Then I went and re-added the static fonts only, which seemed to work. It's causing a little bit of an issue with some of the files since I belive they were designed with the variable font, but at least it's not completely changing the weights of the text anymore upon opening. 

Talking to my coworker, hers has both the static and the variable fonts installed and is still working completely normally. I'm still completely baffled as to why my system specifically doesn't like the variable font and why it's seeming to read it as a duplicate on my system and not her computer. But I think this is delving into a Mac issue instead of an Adobe issue, so I'm going to try submitting a support ticket with Apple to see if I can find out more. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure to filter your results by date (I'm not sure why that isn't the default)

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/font-issues-on-illustrator/m-p/13529695

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for linking this! Definitely going to follow that thread in case there are any other updates regarding variable fonts. Seeing as both that font family and the one I'm using are both Google fonts having issues with the variable versions, I can't help but wonder if there's some sort of connection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try by uninstalling Quicksand Variable Font

And install all Quicksand Light, Regular, Medium, Semibold & Bold Weights individually 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've seen technical issues with fonts from the Google Fonts web site from time to time. Much of the time I can delete the fonts that are acting up and then download new copies from Google Fonts. Very often the newly downloaded ones will act correctly. I'm pretty sure Google quietly does bug fix updates on their fonts.

Other graphics applications or font managers that are running in the background can also cause issues. I suspect the Windows OS has its own problems with font handling too. In recent weeks the issues I've been seeing for years have mostly disappeared. I can have applications like CorelDRAW running at the same time as Illustrator without Illustrator losing some of the font styles in its fonts menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines