• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is changing my color values

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a very strange experience in creating artwork in Adobe Illustrator. I have some older files, specifically for one client, and noticed the colors were duller than when created. I wrote it off as me creating the files incorrectly many years ago. However, I recently updated to Creative Cloud and designed a new project from scratch for a new client with new colors. When I went back to that file today to expand on the project I noticed the colors were duller than previously. I compared some of the color values to the original artwork and noticed that they had been changed slightly (ie: RGB 67 > 67, 187 > 168, 219 > 200; 241>222, 172>153, 27>27; etc).

The files are, and always have been, RGB. It would appear as if my colors are being changed from the time I save and close, to the time I re-open. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Hello guys, try this:
edit-> assign profile -> working RGB (for me default was "profile:display (...)" and that was causing the problem). 

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How's your color management set up?

How's your soft proof set up and have your perhaps turned it on?

Does the document color profile match the working profile?

WHich app does your client use to view it?

Is that app color management enabled and is it set up correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to make Color Management settings. The link that I share will help you with this.

Creative Suite * Keeping colors consistent

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the article. I read through it and checked to make sure my color profiles were synchronized, which they are. Unfortunately, I think this still remains a mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- I am using 'North America General Purpose 2' for my color settings across all creative suite programs.

- I don't know what soft proof is, but I don't believe I've turned it on. How would I check?

- The document color mode is RGB. I attached a screenshot of the color settings.

- I sent the client a low-res PDF for proofing. This is a web project, so is it possible that it's converting the colors when I save a PDF rather than exporting it as a jpg?

- I'm nto sure how my client views the document, but it seems irrelevant. The colors are changing in my Illustrator file, which is only accessed by me.

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 2.06.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danah27870700  schrieb

- I sent the client a low-res PDF for proofing. This is a web project, so is it possible that it's converting the colors when I save a PDF rather than exporting it as a jpg?

In your settings you have turned off all warnings ("Ask when ...") so whatever Illustrator is doing, you won't notice. Turn them back on again.

When you save a PDF, it depends on the color options if colors get converted. Of course it's possible that this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But would it affect the colors on the working illustrator doc if I were to, say, export a Press Quality PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you make sure that you don't overwrite the working document: no.

But if you export the PDF and then continue working in it by accident and then overwrite the original document: yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I am facing the exact same issue with Illustrator. I create a new ai RGB file, I work, I close the file and next day I open again looks like my colors have been changed to dull colors, they look like CMYK even the fact that my file was always RGB...

Any solution so far to this mystery conversion? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is color management set up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my color settings setup is as below. Though, I haven't make any changes since yesterday that I worked on my file. Also, I have faced the same issue again in the past and I changed all my document's colors one by one..

Screenshot 2019-11-28 at 14.51.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those settings shouldn't cause any changes.

Maybe corrupt preferences. But if this appears sporadically, it will be difficult to sort out.

You should report this to http://illustrator.uservoice.com and maybe the engineers have an idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue! And as I couldn't find a way to solve it, I have to make new files again and again. Any new solutions??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest to contact support, they can have a look inside your system:

Welcome to Adobe Customer Care! Need help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This continues to be a consistant problem for me as well. It happens with every Illustrator file I work on and it is incredibly frustrating. Is there still no fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe us step to step what is happening. Which color mode is the document (check the title bar)? How is color management set up? How do you measure the values?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document is in RGB color mode. I've attached a screenshot of my color management settings – basically the Illustrator default. My experience is just like everyone elses; over time the colors change/get darker. I always have to reference an external doc I've created with the correct HEX codes just to reset everything. I'm about ready to quit using Illustrator all together and move all projects to Figma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened to me too. I ended up by changing colors my manually putting in R and G and B values in the end, and they would be changed by illustrator every time. Had do deal with clients for days, so frustrating. In the ned I could not change gradients anymore. I would change the color, but it wouldn't change on the path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened to me too. I ended up by changing colors my manually putting in R and G and B values in the end, and they would be changed by illustrator every time. Had do deal with clients for days, so frustrating. In the ned I could not change gradients anymore. I would change the color, but it wouldn't change on the path. 

By @Linus Reimer

Are you perhaps in CMYK document color mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this issue and I figured it out! You have to work with color in the same color mode the doc is set to under File>Document Color Mode: If your doc is set to CMYK, then work with the colors in CMYK under the Color Tab...otherwise Illustrator is adjusting your values to compensate for the difference between cmyk and rgb. Its silly and shouldn't be doing that to us while were trying to work but that's what's happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys, try this:
edit-> assign profile -> working RGB (for me default was "profile:display (...)" and that was causing the problem). 

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg danielm23404835 

you saved my life. Literally the past 8 months i was suffering from this so so much!!!!!!!! THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

life saver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines