• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is suddenly SLOW!

Guide ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden, AI 21.1.0 (CC) -- 2017.1.0 Release -- is incredibly S-L-O-W. It takes several MINUTES to open or save a file - files that formerly opened and saved VERY quickly.

What is happening? This is a serious problem here.

2013 MacPro OSX 10.12.6 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 BG RAM

1TB SSD

Thanks for any insight.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guide , Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Running DiskWarrior on all drives seems to have corrected this problem. No prefs needed to be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

I had same issues and I think i've solved it. I select secondary scratch disk and the problem is gone. Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 11.44.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. No prefs have been changed prior to this major slow-down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running DiskWarrior on all drives seems to have corrected this problem. No prefs needed to be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I meant was to trash your preferences. On a Mac you can do that with Illustrator closed by opening a Finder window and clicking on your Home folder icon while in column mode. Then with your finger on the option key go under the Finder Go menu and choose Library. Within the Library folder find the folder called preferences. Within that folder find and trash the folder that says Adobe Illustrator (version #). Then you can relaunch Illustrator and hopefully it will run better for you.

You can reset up all of your preferences and when you are done quit Illustrator and those new preferences will be established for the program. You can then make a copy of the new pristine preference file for future use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DrStrik9  schrieb

I'm wondering how DiskWarrior has been set up to correct this?

Did it defragment the drive (which Apple claims is unnecessary because mac OS does that job), did it repair the user privileges, or did it do something else? Could you please share this information, DrStrik, as that might help others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it (in non-technical terms), DiskWarrior simply rebuilds and replaces the menu accessing all files on each drive, so the OS can access them more quickly. After DW does its thing, almost everything seems to work more quickly, from startup to opening and saving files. I've never had it do such an extreme improvement in speed, before AI slowed down so dramatically.

I did also reset the AI preferences, but this did not improve AI speed after DW had done its work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True the Mac since 10.2 has been able to defrag itself, but there are some exceptions such as the drive being over 90% full.

Disk Warrior is more designed to be a file recovery than maintenance utility, but the program is well written and have had  successes with this in the past. Drive Genius by ProSoft though is my preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have serious problems with a slow Ai. You can always install an older version with the Creative Cloud application manager. Check before doing that if you'll not missing certain functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had same issues and I think i've solved it. I select secondary scratch disk and the problem is gone. Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 11.44.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines