• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Not Responding while saving or opening files on Windows system

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening and saving projects in Adobe Illustrator it freezes for long periods says not responding then eventually opens or saves. I looked at the thread wait chain and get the error "One or more threads of Illustrator.exe are waiting to finish network I/O. I have no errors in event viewer.

I have tried uninstalling completely, using the AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool and removing all CC produts with it. Installing older versions of Illustrator.

Also have tried deleting the OOBE files, As well as deleting profile file.

The computer itself is able to handle the application with under 50% of cpu usage, memory usage and disk usage.

wait chain.jpg

{Renamed by MOD}

 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Hello Scott,

If you happned to have a network printer installed on that computer, that may be key to your issue. Ai is interrogating the network printer when you save the file (I wish I knew why) that is why you see network I/O. Change your default printer to something that is available and/or go to file/print in Ai and change the printer for that file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Oh wow this fixed it for me.  Just as soon as I tried to save or save as, my program would freeze and I would get the "bling" sound on anything unless I pressed the Escape key (I'm on Windows).  I changed my printer to Adobe PDF from my home printer (yes, connected through the home router) and the problem is fixed.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are extremely sorry about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. As per your query, Illustrator freezes whenever you try to save or open files. That's definitely not a typical experience with Illustrator. Let us make this right for you. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator
  • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? You can upload it to the creative cloud and share the download link.
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.
  • Do you have any font management utility (like suitcase fusion from extensis) installed on your system? If yes, could you please try removing that and check how Illustrator works.

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure I'd be happy to

OS is Windows 10 up to date

Illustrator is the latest version 23.0.6 64bit but I have also tried older version 23.0.5 with same problem

No specific document, its just all documents

I've tried files saved on the desktop as well as network files

I don't know for sure about changes as I am not the normal user of the computer but she said there were no changes

And there is not font management utility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try and save only locally and not in a synchronized folder. Also: is a printer connected and turned on? If not, connect one, set it up as default printer and turn it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved to a non-synchronized folder and still same problem and yes it is connected to a printer and set as default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a backup system running? Synchronizazion? Even if you are not using it with Illustrator, but is it setup? Does it work better when you disconnect from networks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. Please try these steps one by one and share your observations:

1. Reset Preferences:

-Close all Adobe applications.

-Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

-Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings.old

-Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

2. If that doesn't help, try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which is conflicting with the Illustrator.

3. If that doesn't help either, login to Hidden Admin Account (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfbMs3w-Z3s&t=53s). Check how the application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html

4. If nothing helps, then we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help on a remote session that way.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried resetting preferences and opening files in admin both still having the same "not responding" issue. I still need to check in safe mode but need time when that the user doesn't need the laptop to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying that. Let us know if Safe mode helps resolving the issue. If not, please reach our one-to-one support at https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a printer connected, set up as the default printer and turned on? You could also try and set up the default Windows PDF printer. THis helped some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine in safe mode and then tried closing programs in the background to see if they were conflicting but didn't fix it. I also made sure the default printer was set and on AND also tried to set print to pdf as default but still a problem. I opened a support ticket so hopefully, they call me for phone support soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a fix to this issue? It happens to me all the time and no fix suggested has even made it better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too. It would be nice if the solution were written here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Same problem when trying ot save file as .ai. Same too with .pdf. Uninstalled and re-installed. Still same. Have been using Illustrator for years, never had this problem. Getting this resolved will be nice. Rgds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Hudson LEE,

Sorry for the trouble. There could be the various reason this could happen. I will try my best to help you out. Would you mind sharing a few details like:

• OS & version of Ai
  • Where are you saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
    Please try saving the files on your Desktop and see if that helps.
  • Please check if turning off "Save/ Export in the background help resolve the issue or not.
    Anshul_Saini_0-1653074664266.png

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Scott,

If you happned to have a network printer installed on that computer, that may be key to your issue. Ai is interrogating the network printer when you save the file (I wish I knew why) that is why you see network I/O. Change your default printer to something that is available and/or go to file/print in Ai and change the printer for that file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh wow this fixed it for me.  Just as soon as I tried to save or save as, my program would freeze and I would get the "bling" sound on anything unless I pressed the Escape key (I'm on Windows).  I changed my printer to Adobe PDF from my home printer (yes, connected through the home router) and the problem is fixed.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines