• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator reflect tool (sensitivity issue) spinning shape around when smart guides turned on

Explorer ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My days have been a constant struggle recently due to Illustrator spinning objects around with the speed of light when using the "reflect tool" and have "smart guides" turned on.

I select the object with S (selection too), then press O (reflect tool) + hold down shift to reflect / rotate objects around using my mouse, and release both when I have the shape in in the direction I wanted.

The problem is: smart guides show up, and Illustrator spins the objects so fast while desperatly trying to align it to seemingly anything and everything that's in my document. The "reflect tool" works just fine when I have "smart guides" turned off. I only have "snap to point" selected, nothing else.

Is there a sensitivity setting, or could I tell illustrator (Adobe should and should've done this already btw!!!) to prioritize objects on my screen instead of trying to align it to everything?

Thanks in advance for any help!

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably the shift key that interferes with smart guides. If you need an exact angle, then smart guies can do that on their own and the shift key can also do that on its own. Both together result in chaos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I tend to reflect a lot of objects 180 degree, so not using shift would just introduce a different kind of struggle 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart guides align that for you. It's their job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it is a bug, but you should be able to repress the flickering by turning off the "Transform Tools" option in the Smart Guides preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines