• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Resizes on File Open

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a silly little issue, but it really bugs me! Whenever I open a file in Illustrator via double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer, Illustrator resizes its main window, as if I've hit the "Restore Down" button in the upper right corner. I then have to click "Restore Up" to expand it to fill the screen again. I'm using Illustrator CS3 and Windows XP. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Hi, no there isn't a solution yet, just resize the window manually as suggested 10 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 105 Replies 105
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on mac at the moment, but try the consolidate all button.

Screen shot 2012-06-21 at 10.21.02 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does't help with windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2012 Jun 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue in CS5 but the above idea did not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had (and still have) the same issue on CS5 and CS4 both on Windows 7. Earlier I had this also in CS3 in XP. The only way I found to correct this, is by trashing the setting file. This will help only for a short period as this strange behavior will come back after a while.

Been asking around about this issue before but until this post nobody reported this problem. This behavior is not a real problem, but it also bugs me. So if somebody have any idea how to correct this…..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the only way to correct this is for Adobe to pay a programmer to fix this ancient POS program.

IOW it is impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try dragging the file into open Ai app, perhaps that is an easier method that does not resize the app window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just keep expecting this to be fixed but with every U/G it's still there. I'm on CS6 now and it's back to annoy me....do they ever test this software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got the same Problem on a PC Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Ai CS6. In CS5 it worked well. I try to set the "Start Option" for the Programm to "Full Screen" but when I open a new file the window downsizes again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this problem after I bought a larger monitor. (CS5 XP)

Incredibly annoying!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got the same Problem. Now its fixed. change your scratch disk to some other drives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing scratch disks (i.e. Illustrator CS6 scratch disk settings) didn't help for me (on a machine with 4 fixed HDD's) and I tried a few combinations of primary/secondary scratch disks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here and it still happens also on Illustrator CC. Changing scratch disk settings doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem here. Sometime the illustrator windows is resize so small that we have an error and we can't open the file. We have to do a Drag and Drop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2013 Oct 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact problem here on CC.

I as well have been waiting for this bug to get fixed since the incarnation of Illustrator.  But alas, it remains to taunt me all day, every day!

Hey Adobe!  Doesn't this bug the hell out of you too?!?!  Or is this your little inside joke that you continue to thik is funny version after version after version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the solution in post #11 here forums.adobe.com/message/5640644#5640644

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not "Illustrator opens in window too small".  The problem is "Illustrator exits Maximized mode (restore) and shrinks in size every time you open an .ai document".  Your solution has no effect on our problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe!  Doesn't this bug the hell out of you too?!?!

they don't actually use illustrator, it seems

"Illustrator exits Maximized mode (restore) and shrinks in size every time you open an .ai document"

I have posted this several times, some users like it, some don't

"maximize" your window manually, that is, grab it by the corners and drag to fill up (almost) the screen, make sure you don't get to the actual maximum since the system will maximize the window for you, that should take care of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, that doesn't really "take care of the problem", it justs masks the bug as much as currently possible, which I had already done.

On a side note, who would possibly like this behavior and why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome,

you realize I don't work for Adobe, do you? I can not "literally" take care of Illustrator bugs.

...about your side note, I don't know what to tell you. I like it, it beats maximizing the window every time I open a file, I don't really know what's not to like about it...but why don't you tell us why you don't like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2013 Oct 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, appologies.  Your comment wasn't very clear.  I thought you meant some people actually like when the window constantly restores on them every time they open a document.  Not that they like your suggestion.  No, like I stated, I had already implemented your suggestion as a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CarlosCanto wrote:

"maximize" your window manually, that is, grab it by the corners and drag to fill up (almost) the screen, make sure you don't get to the actual maximum since the system will maximize the window for you, that should take care of the problem.

I see what you mean. Just manually drag the window as large as possible. I will try it and see how that works out. As I said in my original post, it's a very small issue, but when you are opening many files a day, it can just get annoying that the window doesn't stay put.

"Actually, the "Manual Resize" is the ONLY sollution... CS5 I'm sure isn't being supported any more.

It's a real simple fix.

just make the Illustrator window as large as possible... and then close down Illustrator to "Remember" this window position.. done. I done this after it was suggested, and I haven't even noticed it NOT being MAXIMIZED..

I wonder how many people above are using a "BOUGHT" version??? I wonder if all the people ******** above are using a HACKED version....

just my $.02

chili"

Chili - I take offense that you're suggesting I'm using a pirated version of the software because there is a bug in the program. I work at a professional print shop as a graphic designer and yes, we are using fully legal, PURCHASED software. At a cost of several thousand dollars, one does expect software to work in all aspects. Don't be rude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen when Illustrator is already open and maximized and you double click .ai file in a folder or only when Illustrator is not running and you double click an .ai file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the "Manual Resize" is the ONLY sollution... CS5 I'm sure isn't being supported any more.

It's a real simple fix.

just make the Illustrator window as large as possible... and then close down Illustrator to "Remember" this window position.. done. I done this after it was suggested, and I haven't even noticed it NOT being MAXIMIZED..

I wonder how many people above are using a "BOUGHT" version??? I wonder if all the people bitching above are using a HACKED version....

just my $.02

chili

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines