• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator takes 10-30 minutes to open (Mac OS Monterey)

Participant ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having issues with Illustrator loading for a while, and today it was so bad I decided I needed to post something to the community.

I completely restarted my computer (Mac OS Moneterey), and clicked Illustrator and Photoshop to open them. Nothing else. I clicked Illustrator first. Photoshop opened in a couple of minutes. Fifteen minutes later, Illustrator is still at the loading screen with the puffins. Then I get to the empty workspace area, where it sits for another 10-15 minutes, my cursor spinning non-stop. I force quit, then clicked and dragged an .ai file into Illustrator. Same thing. Then I double-click an .ai file to open it, and then it works.

This is really hindering my work performance. I can't be waiting 30 minutes for my primary work program to load. It's only Illustrator having the issue - Photoshop, InDesign, and Reader (the only ones I use) are fine. They take a bit of time to open, but nothing like Illustrator, which is, of course, the program I use the most.

Was there an update that could be causing this? My computer specs are attached as an image. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried clearing your preferences or even rolling back a version to see if that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that. My computer automatically updated to the latest Monterey version last night, and now Photoshop is just as bad. It opens fine, but doing something as little as cropping a picture or adjusting the brightness/contrast causes the cursor to spin like a disco ball. I've read that Mac updates and Adobe updates often don't work well together... which is ironic considering Adobe programs were (I believe) originally designed to work with Mac due to the graphic nature of both. I have a personal Adobe account on my Windows computer at home and I've had no issues with it. Huh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Holton Recorder,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I hope the suggestions shared by SishamIAGD helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try running Illustrator under the root user account and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines