• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Thumbnail Preview Not Showing Images

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview.jpgI REALLY need someone's help. I bought a new MacBook pro a couple of weeks ago and have had nothing but issues with my Illustrator since. I was running the 2019 version when I switched laptops but have had to downgrade back down to the 2018 version because the 2019 version was so laggy. I'm still having lag issues but it's not as bad. But now I have a new problem. If I search files, whether its in Illustrator or just a finder folder, I used to be able to highlight a file and hit the space bar to see a preview of my artwork, so I could then scroll through the files and open the one I want. Now, I can't see anything other than the Ai logo box. HOW DO I FIX THIS? This is literally costing me so much time as I often need to refer to other jobs for a logo or text.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. [email removed]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Have the files been saved with PDF compatiblity?

It's the PDF where Mac OS draws the preview from.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

No icon preview for eps-files in Ventura (and Monterey): Here's what to do.

1. Copy the "Illustrator.qlgenerator" from “Macintosh HD/System/Library/QuickLook" to your desktop or any other folder you have read/write access to.
  2. Open "Illustrator.qlgenerator" by right clicking it and select "Show package contents".
  3. Open "Info.plist" in the "Contents" folder with a text editor.
  4. Find the line "<string>com.adobe.illustrator.ai-image</string>" 
  5. Insert "<string>com.adobe.encapsulated-postscript</string>" below

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the files been saved with PDF compatiblity?

It's the PDF where Mac OS draws the preview from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you specify where one would be offered that option? It doesn't come up when I save a file as an .ai file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you first save a file from Illustrator, this window comes up to "Create PDF Compatible File".

Screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the files must be saved with "PDF compatibility".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Tried saving with PDF compatability (which is default) but .ai files still only show the AI logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. The exact version of Illustrator and the Operating System.
  2. Do you have more than one version of Illustrator installed?
  3. Are you able to preview other files created on different applications?
  4. Where are the files saved, locally or on any network or shared drive?

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh

Mac OS 10.15.3 (Catalina)
Illustrator Creative Cloud 24.0.3
Only that version is installed.
I have the same issue with the latest version of InDesign CC, but Photoshop CC previews fine whether the files are saved as PSDs or JPGs.
All files are saved locally on my internal drive.
Note: AI and ID files preview properly in Bridge CC which I generally use all the time, but there are times when I need to work in the Finder and that's where I'm not getting any previews.

Regards,
Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details, could you please login to the root account (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012) and check if you are able to preview files there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Any news on this issue? We have the same problem here. 4 iMacs running Catalina with the latest CC version programs. None of them shows the thumbnail preview... Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No resolution. Have starting in safe mode and also saving with PDF compatability but files still do not preview in the Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to new Macbook pro with Catalina 10.15.3 + current Cloud Adobe Illustrator 24.0.3. Previews only showing as AI symbol preview. 😞 My previous Macbook pro (much older I believe was running Sierra or High Sierra) was showing the preview images of the same exact files - no problem. Files are stored on my computer. As a designer, it is a needed tool to see a preview. I see previews of other files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Creative Cloud and Update Illustrator, It will solve this Issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No go - my AI is updated to most recent app. Still just see the AI. Again these are the same files that were on my previous MacBook Pro & the previews show perfectly on it - saved as they are supposed to be. Just a giant Ai logo on here. 😞 Really bites not being able to see the preview & having to open EVERY file to see it. I'm considering downgrading until this is actually fixed but I'm not sure that would even help. It's obviously an issue with 2020 AI and Mac Catalina. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but did the following as a workaround in Big Sur with Illustrator 23.3.1.

Make a duplicate copy of the older containg your files and 'save as' adobe PDF. Bit of a pain, but at leat you can see the image and work on the PDF file as though it were an Ai file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spelling errors crept in on previous reply !

I have the same problem but did the following as a workaround in Big Sur with Illustrator 23.3.1.

Make a duplicate copy of the folder containg your files and 'save as' adobe PDF. Bit of a pain, but at least you can see the image and work on the PDF file as though it were an Ai file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Creative Cloud and Update Illustrator, that will solve this Issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Creative Cloud and Update Illustrator, It will solve this Issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't solve it.  My experience is identical to kyrstenbrooke. This problem is frustrating and wastes valuable time, especially when it was not an issue with the previous Mac OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try by updating illustrator from Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Illustrator is up to date in Creative Cloud. There is no new update... 

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 3.29.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 10.54.09 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it the one u using ? bcs i had this same issue get solved by updating from creative cloud. am confused, I also changed some settings from services preferences, let me check..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this...was this issue resolved? I have the same issue as the thread (also tried all suggestions).

Only workabound is to 'default' save ai files as eps. Wierd that reoving the 'ai' extensions solves the issue too, but wrecks the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please stop giving this false advise:) It doesn't help. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines