• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator v25.3.1 on macOS - Error: "Illustrator could only partially read this file"

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this error message (see below) and .ai is only displaying 1 of the 4 artboards.

"Illustrator could partially read this file. We recovered as much of the file as possible, but some content might be missing. Open to view the recovered file."

Does anyone know what causes this and a fix? Thanks!

Details: My file is 80MG. Illustrator version 25.3.1 on Mac / Big Sur.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. It seems your file is damaged or corrupted. There are multiple factors that can lead to this. Did Illustrator crash while you were saving or working on this file, or this error occurred while opening a recently saved file or an old file? You may try the steps shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html) under the "Corrupt or damaged file" title and let us know how it goes?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul, 

Thanks for the info. I don't think it's a corrupt file, bc other teammates can open the file. I'm in 25.3.1 and my teammate is in 25.01. and she is able to open the file no problem. File has complex art, wondering if this could be an issue, along with the latest update causing this issue.

Let me know, thanks.

Emily

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2021 (v 25.4.1), which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v25.4.1, then we recommend you to update to the latest version and share your observation with us.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul, 

I have updated to the latest version 25.4.1 and am still unable to open this file properly. Same error message. See screenshot attached – I didn't get this error message this time, but I did see it earlier today with another file and I've seen it before when trying to open this problem file. Not sure what it's indicating, but if it's helpful I wanted to share.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear about this, Emily. I would request you to share a few more details like:

• Is the issue error occurring while opening a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
    • From where are you opening the file (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?

Also, you may try the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html) and let us know how it goes.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an issue of "resources" for your rig to open a file... probably its a heavy one (not in file size, and more like the complexity of the design).  What worked for me was putting a second scratch disk on the memory and "plug in and scratch options".   In theory illustrator will search "resources" of memory to open a complex file... the prompt really means that illustrator canot read the file because it´s too complex.  This will prevent that to happend but will not guarantee to fix a file with that issue :(.  

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines