• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator - Variable Data - not working?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Variable Data feature working for anyone else? I have a list of names ~23 that all need to be inputted and swapped out on an image.

For the last two weeks, I've used the following method and now it is no longer working. Can anyone assist?

Method used:

1. Create a list of names in GSheet > Export as CSV
  2. Open illustrator file, select text that will have the Variable Data applied to
  3. Clicked "Make Dynamic Text"
  4. Clicked More options > Load Variable Library and selected my CSV file
  5. Variable data comes through with "X" amount of "Data Sets"
  6. When navigating through each "Data Set" the text does not update to match the CSV file. It does absolutely nothing because the"Data Sets" are coming in "Blank"

My best guess is something is happening to the reading of the CSV file when importing. I can't figure out why all my Data Sets are blank. Even files that worked for me last week is now no longer working.

I've attached my CSV file in case anyone is interested. The "," doesn't impact anything as last 2 weeks I have used files with a "," after the name.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance , Print and publish , Scripting , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Solved:
The issue and step I was missing was having the first row in the excel sheet data to match the "Variable1" tag in illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved:
The issue and step I was missing was having the first row in the excel sheet data to match the "Variable1" tag in illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you get real deep into Illustrator variable data, you may want to check out the VariableImporter script - although at this time it's not working on Mac Ai2021 due to some Adobe bug 🙄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Any update on this bug? Its driving me mad!!!

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.02.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my savior!
I have spent about three hours troubleshooting CSV-files with semicolons instead of commas and when i fixed that and it still wasnt working i tried converting them to XML. Thankfully the last piece of the puzzle was this.
Now i can do all my VDP from Illustrator without having to convert my designs to InDesign and i am very happy 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, AI will not open csv files. It's looking for an xml file. Any further advice appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@totallockout  schrieb:

In my case, AI will not open csv files. It's looking for an xml file. Any further advice appreciated.

Which version is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 15.0.0 - part of Creative Suite 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That version does not support CSV

You can try if VariableImporter script can add that capability to your version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any further directions on guidance on VariableImporter script gratefully received. But I think I've tried this already and got the message "the incoming variable library is invalid".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines