Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

image trace / illustrator CC 2017

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I usually use the very precise tools of vectorization of image in Illustrator CS 2. I recently have the latest version of illustator (CC 2017) and I must admit that the parameters seems less accurate. I can't have such a clear result. For example, how can you change the resolution of the image in the settings (image trace) of the illustator CC 2017? 

Is there a plugin to give me more parameter with the vector tool in illustrator CC 2017?

Is there maybe another software more specific for the tool, Image tracing ?

May i use a old version of illustrator (CS2, CS3 or CS4) with my MACBOOKpro early2015?

Thank you

jerome

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one kind of images that are traced worse: black and white images with a lot of detail.

You cannot improve it beyond a specific point.

There are third party applications available for tracing black and white, and there are rumours that those are better. I haven't fully tested them. One of them is ā€žBildvektorisiererā€œ im Mac App Store

Another one is the online tool Vector Magic: Convert JPG, PNG images to SVG, EPS, AI vectors

Depending on the system you can or can't run older versions of Illustrator. If you have licensed them, it's not forbidden to use them. CS2 won't run on your Macbook, the other versions might just run enough to do an image trace. Probably not with High Sierra, maybe with Sierra, probably with Yosemite. Not sure if you can install them, because the installer need sto be compatible as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it comes to Image Trace.... especially with highly detailed images.... I found this helpful.

Let's say I have photo of person wearing a light shirt and dark pants.

What I will do is break the image up in Photoshop into various sections.... skin, shirt, pants.  Then I bring in each piece into Illustrator then use Image Trace on each piece separately.  Then put them together to form one object.  The problem I noticed is that images where the values in highlights and darkness vary greatly have issues with running Image Trace on the whole picture.  So breaking them part was a way for me to get everything a little more accurate.

This can be done with any photo.... a house..... a carousel... you name it.  By separating the pieces so to speak it will really help. I have been doing this little trick for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image Trace  has been severely lacking in detail trace capabilities since they switched to the new panel format. I've gone to bat several times with the teams about this, but there is no urgency to change the parameters since they would have to scrap the entire widget to recalibrate.

I have an example file of an exploded view diagram. It worked great using Technical Illustration in CS2-CS5. Then the new version arrived and it all broke and gotten worse with each iteration.

I've gone with third party solutions since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of interest anyone , whats the specific need to image trace?  what do you use the output for for ?

Do you just like the effect it gives.

Breaking it up in Photoshop sounds a good idea, KShinabery, but you mention skin - to me that  always seems to come out  very poorly, just a coarsely contoured mess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me specifically I have clients that have technical illustrations created from an outdated proprietary software package. The only exportable version is raster.

the old Live Trace technical presets allowed us to translate them to an editable vector format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ray a person was just an example.

Let's say you have a light colored car.  You might separate the body of the car from the tires and do them separately with live trace.

Or let's say a set of bowling pins and a bowling ball.  See the pins are lighter  so I would do them separately from the bowling ball.

Let's say there is a light colored house.  I might do the doors and windows separate... the roof separate... and then the main part of the house (i.e. the exterior).

A person was just an example to show how the dark and light values could be separated.  It could be any object.  Yes a person will not look amazing in Image trace for the most part.  But it was merely an example.... do not read more into it.

Hope that makes more sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines