• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Excel File into Illustrator for Individual Text Objects

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! I am still pretty new to Adobe Suite, so I am not totally sure if this is even possible.

Work for a printing business that works with sports jerseys with custom names. When people order online, we export the data into an excel file where each Column represents a specific jersey (style/color/etc) and each row in that column represents a name that needs to be printed.

What we normally do is make an artboard for each column and manually type in each name. The software that we use to print them needs each name to be its own type sublayer under 1 layer. We are currently in the peak of our season and the amount of names makes it an extremely daunting task.

I am wondering if there is a way to import the data from excel to Illustrator that will either do this for us, or make it easier to edit everything. Realistically, I would like to be able to import a whole column and have each cell be it's own text sublayer in one layer, and hopefully make those text sublayers the correct font/size/color/etc. 

Please let me know if anyone has any tips/tricks/anything to either do exactly that or make the task a little easier! Any help is greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is a way to import data from a spreadsheet.

Look into Variable Data & Data Sets. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/data-driven-graphics-templates-variables.html

If that does not solve your problem you'll need a script that would automate getting the customized data from the spreadsheet into your template(s)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excel data can be imported into Illustrator graphs, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are needing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@barbara_a wrote:

Excel data can be imported into Illustrator graphs,

Not directly, Barbara. You can copy and paste from Excel or save the Excel file as .csv and import into the Graph Data window.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos has already mentioned Variable Data, which is sufficient for basic layours and requires no special skills to set up, so check that out first to see if it provides the features you need.

If you require more complex automation (resizing and repositioning text, applying color schemes, adding and removing optional elements, etc) you will need a scripted solution.

It is difficult to offer recommendations without additional details: number of existing templates and how often you add new ones, whether the editable elements are the same across all templates or can vary, your text styling and fitting rules, how colors are specified, and so on. It may help us if you can post a few screenshots of example templates, Excel spreadsheets, and finished artworks.

If your requirements are straightforward and identical across all templates, a bespoke JavaScript coded specifically to handle that design may be appropriate. If you need a flexible solution that can handle complex, varied designs and evolving requirements, I have an advanced automation engine that will smash it (demo attached). DM me if you wish to discuss further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines