Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Improve similarity between rgb and cymk color mode

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I have designed a logo however I missed to switch to cymk from the beginning on. This is the result in rgb mode:

Micha5E6D_0-1669482205221.png

Now, when switching to cymk which is required as I'm going to print the logo, the object looks like this:

Micha5E6D_1-1669482254868.png

You clearly see that the logo in the rgb mode is much more shiny and has a better color contrast. I know that this type of difference is obvious when switching from one color mode to another. However, is there any way to make the cymk version look more like the rgb?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some colors simply cannot be printed with a regular CMYK process. But in your case it's not even that. You need to start with the fundamentals and use actual color management. The shift to yellow clearly indicates that this isn't just a gamut or density problem, it basically tells us that you are not using any real CM. For print stuff CM is inevitable and mandatory or you never will be able to predict how the print output will look. I suggest you read the online help on some basics:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/understanding-color-management.html

Anything outside that would require info about your CM settings, source and target profiles, moniztor profiles etc., but as per the above if you're not using any CM it becomes sort of a circular argument that goes nowhere.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you know that you need to print it, start in CMYK mode.

On top of setting up your color management correctly. That blueish green at the bottom of your logo is just too bright to be printable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that is also what I get when converting your RGB image to CMYK. 

There is no other way than to modify the result manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those glowing, almost flourescent, colors are not reproducable in CYMK. Once you have a CMYK file, you can tweek the colors to get more contrast, but they won't match the RGB exactly.

You will get a closer match to RGB using spot colors instead of CMYK equivalents. You'll find them in the Swatches panel menu > Open Swatch Library > Color Books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try exporting the rgb version as a png then place it in your cmyk file and use the eyedropper tool to try to match it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

try exporting the rgb version as a png then place it in your cmyk file and use the eyedropper tool to try to match it

By @Adina444

This does the same color management things that converting a file does. Only a bit more complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines