• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In AI CC 2018, is there a way to make "Align to Artboard" the default option?

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating the CC 2018, AI now defaults to "Align to Selection". I sometimes have to adjust to "Align to Artboard" for each individual item in the same file. I use "Align to Artboard" exclusively and am wondering if there is a way to make this the default option.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

http://adobe.ly/1Q3rCPI

We have a fix and is available in the pre-release build. Please visit http://adobe.ly/1Q3rCPI and get the latest build titled Adobe Illustrator CC 22.0.2 – Hot Fix.

This build is of production quality. Please feel free to use / recommend it for your day to day activity.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Illustrator but do not open a file or create a new document. If the start screen is up, change to another workspace, such as essentials. Open the align panel and change the setting to align to artboard. This should become sticky. Now go ahead and create a new document and test it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting a preference with no document open is an InDesign feature.

Illustrator does not work this way.

It does not matter If you set the Align option with or without a document open, it will stick to what you set last.

Unless you run into the bug with the Artboard Tool or Artboard options where it will switch to Align to Selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying it reverts back to Align to Selection by itself after you select Align to Artboard? It shouldn't. For me, it stays at the last setting it was set to, even after you quit and reopen Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a problem with Align to Artboard in CC 2018

When you move an Artboard or open the Artboard options, the setting switches to Align to Selection.

Align to Artboard – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shoot. So this is an ongoing bug that is yet to be fixed.

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is not an ongoing bug.

It has been reported a couple of times, but it does not seem to be a general failure because the majority of users cannot reproduce this issue. For example, I did not face it so far.

There might be some kind of special circumstances to get the wrong behaviour …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt, it is very easy to reproduce.

In CC 2018 create a document with some objects and set the Align To option to Align to Artboard.

Select the objects and use Horizontal Align Center and Vertical Align Center.

The behaviour is as expected, they align to the center of the artboard.

Now move the objects away from the center.

Either select the Artboard tool and move the Artboard or Open the Artboard options and close it (cancel is enough).

Try to Align the objects again

The Align To option will have changed to Align to Selection.

Try the same test in CC2017 and there is no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can vote for it to be fixed in the link I gave in reply 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the newest version 22.0.1 the option to select Align to... drop down menu isn't even there! What's going on? Am I derping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aparrently double clicking the header on the window revealed these options. WOW. That was not intuitive at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://adobe.ly/1Q3rCPI

We have a fix and is available in the pre-release build. Please visit http://adobe.ly/1Q3rCPI and get the latest build titled Adobe Illustrator CC 22.0.2 – Hot Fix.

This build is of production quality. Please feel free to use / recommend it for your day to day activity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is back with the latest Illustrator version 24.2 (2020). All objects default to "Align to Key Object" with corresponding heavy highlight of the Key Object. I always use Align to Selection" so this is distracting visually and a hindrance to productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem right now, any solutions?  mine is defaulting to "align to artboard", i have to constantly click back to "align to section" in the align menu. 

ALSO I HATE THAT MY APPS UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently using 24.2, and this bug is unproductive...

Adobe Folks, please fix!!! 

this is such a small thing, but its driving me crazy!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Team has fixed this in the latest release. Please update Illustrator to v24.2.1 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40681714-align-to-key-o...

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines