• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Introducing Contextual Task Bar in Illustrator - Quick Actions when you need them!

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

contextbar-community.png
Introducing Contextual Bar in Illustrator, available for version 27.9 and later.

Hello everyone, 

We're excited to announce that Contextual Task Bars are now available in the latest release of Adobe Illustrator.

note-icon.png  Note: Contextual Task Bars are only available for Illustrator version 27.9 or later.
Update the app now.

Adobe_Illustrator_CC_icon small.png

Update the App
Try out the Latest Features and Enhancements in Illustrator!

workspace-basics-contextual-task-bar-ai.png.img.png

The Contextual Task Bar is a floating bar that provides the most relevant next actions for the object you select in the object's vicinity. The Contextual Task Bar ensures that your focus remains on the object you're working on.

You can move the Contextual Task Bar around to where you want it to be. You can also reset its position or hide it by selecting More options.

note-icon.png  Note: The Contextual Task Bar is currently available only for limited object types.

Some Example Cases include:

recolor-context.png

Recolour Artwork

You will now have the option to quickly recolor your artwork when selecting a grouped object

Text Options

Effortlessly modify your text's size, style, or font with the assistance of the Contextual Task Bar.

text-context.png

path-context.png

Path Options

Swiftly execute alterations to your chosen path using the Contextual Task Bar, streamlining your path-editing process.

Image Trace

Choose the raster images within your project, and with the aid of the Image Trace contextual menu, transform them into vector graphics effortlessly.

imagetrace-context.png

Learn More about the Latest Features in Illustrator:

Contextual Task Bar when selecting an Open Path, a Closed Path and Multiple Objects

Comp 1_3 (1).gif

Tips and Other Menu Functionality

more-context 2.png

• Show Properties Panel
    You can quickly switch to the Full Panel for the Quick Action you are working on to have access to more controls and features by choosing Show Properties Panel from the “More menu”

• Reset bar position
    The context bar moves with you as you work on the canvas, keeping relevant tools at your fingertips. If you would like to reset the position, you can do so from the “More menu”.

• Hide bar
    You can always hide the bar if you’d like to remove it completely or temporarily from the canvas. If you’d like to re-open the bar at any point, go to Window > Contextual Task Bar

Known Limitations:

• On duplicating an object using the Contextual Task Bars, we cannot use the "Ctrl/Cmd + D" keys to duplicate our previous action.

Adobe_Illustrator_CC_icon small.png

Share your Feedback
We're excited to hear your opinions and welcome your feedback on the Illustrator UserVoice!

Thanks,

Anubhav

upvote-ai.png

If you've found value in this post, a friendly upvote would be fantastic. Your thoughts are even more precious – share them with us in the discussion!
TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks promising, I'd love to have the ability to add our own tools in it, including buttons to run Scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Carlos! That would be quite powerful. Or a step further... show custom commands (eg. script buttons) that appear when the selection passes a *custom* criteria (the criteria could be scripted—eg. a function, given the selection). This would allow the CTB to show options only if a "special" item was selected, eg. slug info group.

This makes me wonder if the SDK has access to the Contextual Task Bar. If so, perhaps someone could make a plug-in that did this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like the post and the information. I think the new Imge Trace panel is a bit confusing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, we at least need the expand button back in the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've added a request for this here. Please upvote! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks exciting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great updates!
Things I can think of that would go in the new bar:
Simplify, when a path is selected.
The last effect used, to re-apply  (Not critical though)

Create a mask when a new path is created

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont like it its distracting . how do i turn it off? please & thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nevermind . duh . thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Maybe take into account older users with bad eyes? More contrast between text and black background (or customisable color scheme)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It follows the UI settings you have selected in the preferences. Mini is set to the lightest and the task bar has a high contrast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Danke schön. I always have to dabble a lot in those Preferences for that purpose. At least it is possible in AI and PS, but not... in Captivate and the new version causes me headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would LOVE it if the Contextual Task Bar popped up immediately when using the Pen Tool or similar path editing tools. The "Edit Path" button in the Contextual Task Bar is great, but I have to switch to the Selection Tool before the task bar shows up (after drawing an object and closing the path with the Pen Tool). I could also just immediately select the Direct Selection tool after closing the path and edit the path right away. Something to consider... thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @ndcgraph,

Thank you for reaching out and providing us with your valuable insights. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and we will make sure to share it with our product team. Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this Contextual Task Bar very useful!

It would be nice if when you insert an image into Illustrator, there are the vertical flip and horizontal flip actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alextizze,

That's a great suggestion! The Contextual Task Bar is indeed a useful feature, and having the vertical flip and horizontal flip actions when inserting an image into Illustrator would be a valuable addition.

To help make this idea more visible to the Adobe Illustrator team, I recommend upvoting the feature request on UserVoice and leaving a comment explaining your thoughts. The product team actively monitors UserVoice for user feedback and feature requests, so your input can make a difference.

Here's the link to upvote and comment on the UserVoice suggestion: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/938463-illustrator-feature-feedback/suggestions/47290175-co...

Your participation in the UserVoice community can contribute to the improvement of Adobe Illustrator. Thank you for sharing your idea!

best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The concept is really cool, but the placement is terrible. Is there any way to adjust how far away it is from the object being edited? It's always way too close and I have to move it or turn it off to maintain my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently you can either put it into a fixed place or hide it, but there's no way to enter a relative positioning. You might want to ask for that here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines