• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac

Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2012 Jan 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, many users have expressed their desire for a way to open multipage PDFs in Illustrator and for a couple of years now, mac users have enjoyed the use of a script by Shane Stanley to do just that...at first I wanted to translate his script into VB so PC users could benefit from it...since I couldn't get the source code, I decided to give my own version a try using JS....here's the result.

Use with caution, save everything before running until you're comfortable it won't mess things up. I didn't try opening a crazy amount of pages, I "only" opened 35 in about minute and a half. Let us know how many pages you're able to open before you crash Illustrator...

it works with CS4 and CS5 only, windows and mac

have comments?, questions? let me know...enjoy. Carlos Canto

openMultiPagePFD4.PNG

openMultiPagePFD1.PNG

openMultiPagePFD2.PNG

openMultiPagePFD3.PNG

Download:

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/QDc2eDC9v4/AI_openMultiPagePDF_CS4_CS5.zip.html

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2012 Feb 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paal, Mark is right about that, I simply did not supply options for arranging the artboards. I decided to arrange them in rows until the drawing area limits were reached, then loop back to start new row.

It seems to me by what you're posting that you need a "special" arrangement, if that's the case, then it won't be possible. I can only do rows, columns and a grid or rows and columns, just like the options the UI offers. Other types of arrangements could be theoretically possible, but it wouldn't be practical to gather the data from the user. The best way would be to use the artboard tool and drag them to a position that works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just thinking the default artboard layout options could be available on import of the pdf file.

Thanks for creating the script Carlos...:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos,

I downloaded your script on a whim, thinking I'd never really have a use for it. Just finished modifying 60 pages of music in four documents for a concert emergency, just in time, thanks to your script. Much obliged.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2012 Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, glad to hear you found a use for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a very cool thread to read. I just downloaded and ran the script on my Macbook Pro - OS Lion. Seems to work great, and, the page count request is a relevant one. Staying tuned !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bj...stay tuned, I'm working on another cool project, but later I will definitely be back at this one, thanks for participating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos, I just found this and it is a great Script ...one of the awesome things i have found since using illustrator.

I have one issue when i am opening an 8 page PDF it duplicates page 1 for 7 and 8 and skips 4 and 5?

Have you experianced this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok i found a workaround i just resave the pdf from Adobe Reader and changed the name it worked thanks! If you had a website i def would donate some money for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ER hello… he does… You can adopt and get a photo… ! signed thou…

http://www.worldwildlife.org/gift-center/gifts/Species-Adoptions/Chimpanzee.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, for real, I think it is time to get a page...I wish I knew how to make one myself, that's at the bottom of my to do list.

thanks for offering Nate, writing those scripts does take many many many hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could create one with no problem Carlos and make some cash on the side. The coding you do here is much more advanced than HTML and CSS and you already know alot of the Javascript root. I agree with you Nate! I would pay as well. You could even purchase one of the those premade template sites and make a killing. Sort of like a coding doctor that gets paid by diagnosis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree especially for PC scripts because it seems that most of the good ones are coded in applesript for mac..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very true and I’m a PC guy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks guys, I'll look into it, I'm not aiming at making a killing but if in the future Scripting becomes my day job, I'll gladly take it. I just wonder how one would make a living making free products...well, unless you're Instagram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same way people make a living building websites. The basic code is already there, but someone has to put it together, make sense of it and make it work. Because of you and Mark, I’ve became pretty valuable at work with my new knowledge, and I really appreciate it. You don’t realize how much money your knowledge saves people, given it is using Adobe products, but you would be more a less a consultant like a lot of those guys who write add-ins for Excel. The code is already there, but they make sense of it.

And no different than when you call Microsoft and they charge you 69.95 to help you fix your PC. Help is valuable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Day, Carlos!

Can You write a script for PLACING LINKS of multipage PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ! You are amazing ... I hate working in InDesign and manually importing each pages to artboards killed me on PC ! This is working very well in Ilustrator CS6 64-bit !

Thanks a ton !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos !!! gENIUS !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Carlos Would you please give me the link that works with Cs5 i tried all links and not working specialit the file bottom or even if i wrote name of file i can;t open and i need this script urgent
Please Help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos, Im thinking of upgrading to CS6, Does this script still work ?.

Regards,

Andy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, yes, it does work with CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Regards,

Andy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just found this script and it is AWESOME, its just saved me at least a weeks worth of time. The script is so smooth it should be incorporated into Adobe ! Well ~Done Carlos.

(opening 92 pages of a merged data file created in InDesign, exported as .pdf then opened using this script to create a nesting layout in Illy)

ps if you could create a nesting script you could retire on the proceeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tonyxamax wrote:

ps if you could create a nesting script you could retire on the proceeds.

Retiring on the proceeds sounds great, what's nesting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines