• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is a file with a gaussian blur still a vector

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm artworking a logo I've been given that includes an illustrator gaussian blur (as a shadow).
How will this scale?
Is it still a vector image?
Do I need to mesh it and if so, how?
Many thanks

Jan

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

The shape with the Gaussian blur will be rasterized in the output. Same might or might not be the case for shapes underneath.

This might be created with a blend.

Whether or not that is suitable for a logo, depends on the use cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shape with the Gaussian blur will be rasterized in the output. Same might or might not be the case for shapes underneath.

This might be created with a blend.

Whether or not that is suitable for a logo, depends on the use cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika.
What if I create the soft shadow effect with feather? Is that still rasterising? I think it needs to be a mesh to still be vector?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feather is a raster based effect as well.

These days even in a logo raster is not a big deal IF everyone involved knows what they are doing AND IF a version of the logo exists to use in cases where you absolutely need it 100% vector. Of course everyone involved also needs to know when to use which version of the file.

There are cases where even a blend or a mesh would not work (think engraving, cutting etc.).

A blend would also be 100% vector

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep - all great points, thank you. I think the main concern was scaling up for exhibiting but the engraving/cutting point is a good one so we'll be sure to create an additional version without the shadow. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's just about scaling: Set the Document raster effects resolution to a suitable amount and use the Gaussian blur. It makes a beautiful blur. You probably cannot achieve that as comfortably using either a blend or a mesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice. Where does the raster effects resolution setting live please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in Effects > Document Raster effects settings.

When exporting this as a PDF, also make sure to not downsample it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent. That's another top tip I'm keeping. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jan,

How about this, starting with only the grey filled path?

1) Select the grey filled, then apply Object>Path>Offset Path with an offset equalling the added depth of the blur, then in the Transparency palette set the Opacity to 0 (this will apply to the offset path);

2) Select both paths, then in Object>Blend>Blend Options set the Spacing to a suitably large number of Specified Steps (for a smooth transition) and set Aligniment to Align to Path, then apply Object>Blend>Make.

Edit; Seriously delayed answer, hence effectively an elaboration of what Monika has said twice, and agreeing with the reservation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob, thanks for the thought. I'm interested to learn so thought it worth an experiment. I'm ok until half way through point 2. I did this for the steps but I don't see where I choose align to path? Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jan,

I apologize for the wrong word, Alignment > Orientation (which was staring me in my face); and you have chosen Align to Path already so it ought to work fine.

When done you can zoom in and out and see whether the 16 steps is a suitable choice, between underdoing and overdoing. Ctrl/Cmd+Z can be your friend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask whether it worked, Jan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob, I'm afraid it didn't. It gave me a weird shape.

It's ok though. I think we'll keep the feather shadow version but also make a version with flat colour for cutouts and when gradients are an issue. Many thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for sharing, Jan; weird indeed, and hardly worth an effort to improve the blend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines