• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Illustrator CS5 performance better than Illustrator CS6?

Explorer ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a pretty sharp decline in smoothness of panning, zooming, dragging elements around the screen in Ai CS6.

Using both versions side by side on MacBook Pro i7, 8gb Ram, 10.6.8. Ai v16.0.0. The files are as small as 0-200k.

Ai CS6 is simply jumpy and laggy. Try a new blank artboard of 800x600 in both and drag around view at 100% zoom. The artboard skips around.

It's not unusable, but its there, and for me overshadows the improvements.

Thanks,

Brent

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Dear Friends,

Greetings from the Illustrator Engineering Team.

We have been following this thread and the issues discussed here are a cause of concern for us. We have been working closely with most of you either directly or through customer support, and we have been able to fix issues that led to sub optimal performance by following some of these approaches:

1. Creating a new user account.

2. Clearing font cache

3. Dumping personal cache files and repairing permissions

4. Installin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 224 Replies 224
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing closing down illustrater and starting it up again had seemed the most useful solution to my problem,

Here,I don't have to close Illustrator completely to regain acceptable performances. Can you try with just closing the files?

I also  delete the clipboard upon closing (is this reversible?).

I've figured out that if you go to Edit > Preferences > Plug-ins & Scratch Disk. Then put a bigger disk (I choose my C drive) as your primary and/or secondary. The problem -should- be fixed now. If you still seem to have any problems, I'd suggest assigning more RAM to running Illustrator.

If Illustrator has insufficient RAM, then it uses hard disk space (that is, a scratch disk) to process information. Illustrator is fastest when it can process file information in memory, without having to use the hard disk. But, when you don't have enough room on both, you adjust the default settings of illustrater and assign more RAM to it. Mind you, other programs will run slower when youre working in illustrater then!

I've already tried these and there was no change. I have a 256GB SSD, a 500GB HDD and 16GB of RAM...

By the way, how do you assign more RAM to Illustrator since there is no option in the preferences like Photoshop?

However, I might found something during my investigations... Do you guys use the rulers? I use them a lot and I always show them on every new file.

Someday, when I opened up a file that I didn't created. I've noticed that everything was smooth, fast and reactive. The only difference was the rulers: they were HIDDEN.

Since this day (~2days ago). I only work with the rulers hidden and NO PERFORMANCE ISSUE!

I don't know if this the only bug but it appears to be one on my machine. What about yours?

I'll post more feedback on it at the end of the week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiding the rullers gives the interface more performance and responsiveness (the same goes for Photoshop) but after working for a few hours in illustrator that memory leak or something still happenes gradually and all the rest of the opened programs seem like the work in slow motion.

My current config i73630QM, 8 GB DDR, 128 SSD and geforce 650M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you add, delete, and move files on a hard disk, available space is no longer a single, contiguous block. If the system does not have enough contiguous space, then it saves fragments of a file to different locations on the hard disk. An application requires more time to read a fragmented file than one saved to a contiguous location. You can defragment files and optimize available hard disk space by using a third-party disk utility (for example, Norton Utilities).

Since Illustrator reads and writes information while working on a file, the faster the access speed of the disk containing the file or the Illustrator scratch disk, the faster Illustrator can process file information. To improve the performance of Illustrator, work on files saved on drives with fast access speeds, such as an internal hard drive, rather than those with slow access speeds, such as a network server (a network drive) or removable media (for example, a Zip drive, or a diskette). Removable media often have slower access times and are more easily damaged than internal hard drives.

1. Where are you saving the files you are working on?

2. What scratchdisk have you put up under preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of what disk fragmentation is but there is no point to consider it since my scratchdisk is a SSD. Moreover, in my opinion Illustrator doesn't – or shouldn't – access to the scratchdisk until there is no more space available in RAM. Generally when you open a file in a program, a copy is actually made in the RAM and the program work on this copy until there's no more room for it. As you said the faster the access speed of the disk is (...) the faster Illustrator can process file information and RAM is the fastest. If Illustrator doesn't work in RAM that's a big flaw.

However, when the file is saved, the state in RAM is written on the support (ssd, hdd, network drive, ...) so yes in this case there are differences on saving performances but certainly not on working performances.

And to answer your questions:

1. Network drive but there's no difference if I work on a ssd, hdd, removable media...

2. My SSD with 227GB free space available.

Could you do the same for mine about closing the file and not Illustrator + how do you proceed to give more RAM to Illustrator since there is no preference like Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I close down illustrater completely, thus deleting the history it has saved. (history that includes all of your possibilities to ctrl+z and clipboard)

I've looked everwhere to give more RAM to illustrater, and although this has been possible in previous versions, they have not made it possible to do so with cs6... Or at least not in a way I've been able to find. I really hope you find a way to solve your problem, my illustrater actually works fine now!

(finally)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I asked you if you could try to only close your file and not Illustrator to determine if it's file or program related. Here, closing the file(s) do the same as closing Illustrator.

I have never seen an option to give more RAM to Illustrator, thanks for confirming it.

Glad your Illustrator is working "fine" now. Do you still need to close the file(s)/Illustrator to regain performance or the scratchdisk preference solved the problem?

What'is related to bad performances so far:

• Bad scratchdisk?

• Smartguides

• Rulers

• Working with a file opened for more than ~60min

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 60 minutes there is still a performance issue, so closing down illustrater is still a neccesary, but it takes much longer now before I have to do this. Closing down the files and not the entire program doesn't give me the same effect, it speeds up only slightly and for a few minutes, instead of closing down the whole program that allows me to work for at least an hour before its needed again.

I'm working with a very precise and pixel-perfect job at the moment with many artboards and over more then a few hundred rulers up. If I hide the rulers, it speeds up the program, and if i work in a file with only one artboard, i do not expierence the same problems.

But, assigning a different scratchdisk to illustrater has helped improve the problem immensively, and the problems mentioned above are easily solved by closing it down every hour (grabbing a coffee) and going back to work. Regardless, it should still be solved by adobe though.

I wonder how Illustrater is programmed in how much RAM it uses.

1. does this differ with each computer?

2. Does it have a default RAM amount it uses?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is still present indeed. I wonder how can you work like this, closing Illustrator every hour make me crazy. Thanks for the precisions by the way.

When you says hundred of rulers you mean guides?

Good questions you're pointing at regarding the RAM usage. I'd like know that too.

So bad performance (maybe) caused by:

• Bad scratchdisk or memory usage

• Guides

• Smartguide

• Ruler

• Working...

It's here for over a year now, wtf Illustrator team? Thank you mercury engine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it does, but its neccesary, I cannot work without guides...

And yes I meant guides by rulers haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So myself and only 2 other people are the only ones that report a serious issue?  Mine has mostly been fixed with updates, but still noticeably laggy.  This issue coupled with the photoshop crop tool issue has made me seriously rethink my workflow.  Might be time to learn new tools if this is the best they can do.  I'm sure the feeling of relief that we will get once these issues are magically not present in the next iteration will be worth having for the upgrade.  I for one do not think that I will know that feeling as I shall wait until the software has been proven.  I have other options and will be excercising them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine has serious issues as well. My machine should be able to chew up anything Illustrator CS6 throws at it, I've used previous versions on slower computers that were far far faster. I have an i7-2600 3.4ghz with 32gb of RAM and 2 SSD scratch disks. Illustrator operates fine on minimum to medium detailed files, but heavy files are a complete bogged down mess compared to earlier versions. Issues are screen redraw, lag between selecting tools, delays between selecting a vector point and it becoming active, saving large files. Watching the resource monitor Illustrator never seems to use more than about 4gb of ram, leaving 28gb of my RAM doing nothing, and only around 5% of my CPU.

It's got to the point in my workflow where I have to basically manually use proxies of my artwork per layer (rasterise a copy of the layer and work on that layer in a new document) or Illustrator is too slow to use at all.

I am a Creative Cloud Subscriber, I wish they would let us download and use older versions of the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you done the "benchmark" that was posted on page 2 by chance?

I've had pretty decent success on heavy detailed files in CS6 on my i7-930 machine.  I am definitely one of the few that seem to have zero issues with CS6 Illustrator.

The "grid benchmark" I just recently redid.  Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, Core i7-930 at 3.8 GHz.  18GB Ram, Samsung 830 SSD. 

Completed the benchmark in 1:10 and Resource Monitor never reached higher than 13% CPU utilization.  Basically it loads up 1 of the "logical processors" to 100% and the rest of them just sit at idel.  Memory never gets higher than 5GB usable including whatever is reserved for the OS as nothing else is running.

I ran the same test on CS5.5 and it completed in 1:40 and once it completed all dialog boxes start appearing as black with push buttons.  I ran the test at the same time on the same machine and it didn't change the outcome times either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2013 Mar 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bought a 27" iMac and I'm still getting lag.  I am adding another 16 gb of ram to the existing 8 to see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have 8 GB ram, and only have Illy open what do you think another 16 will help?  Note talking down to you, just hate to see people getting more than they need for just this.  It's becoming the stuff of legend here.  I just use CS5 and consider myself lucky The Adobe team was still honest and honorable up until then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until one starts using huge Illustrator files, I don't think it'll get anywhere near using 8GB of ram.  Adding 16 and throwing 10 of it towards Photoshop may be more beneficial.

I too have gone back to CS5.  I have zero performance issues with CS6 but the other bugs of items I use constantly were enough for me to just go back to CS5 for Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please write us in detail at ShareWithAI@adobe.com .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please write us in detail at ShareWithAI@adobe.com .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update, I have had my late 2012 iMac for 5 days now.  I have ordered more RAM but decided to change the screen resolution to 2048 x 1152 this morning - slightly bigger icons and easier to work with... I noticed that the lag has all but dissappeared at this screen res.  The fonts are slightly softer but I don't mind that.

UPDATE: I now have 24GB RAM and I've reset the monitor to 2560x1440 resolution and the screen lag is still there.  If I grab a piece of text, click and pan the text lags behind the hand??

WOW!             

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2013 Mar 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see if interface interaction slowness such as panning zooming and dragging objects improves by opening the app in low resolution mode

(quit ai, get info on the app and checkbox the "open in low resolution" check mark, start ai)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another update and fresh post made in forum for others to see.  But thought I'd add it here too:

I upgrade from a PC with CS3 to a late 2012 iMac 27" with CS6:

Processor  3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

and have had the lag problems that others have experienced, so was very disappointed with CS6 and my new iMac

I upgraded to 24gb RAM and did not see much of a difference.

What has helped.....

1.  First I have changed the resolution to 2048 x 1152 which has reduced the lagging effect significantly.

2.  Turn off some options in 'Smart Guides' to help smooth the work flow - less flashing lines and snapping.  This option will be down to user needs though but are worth checking.

3.  When initially doing a "save as" I have unchecked all options.  Saving takes 1-2 secs rather than 5-10. I use 'ForeverSave 2' for 5-10 minute incremental backups so that helps significantly with workflow.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been fortunate in that Yogesh has reached out after I emailed him directly about the overall slowness of CS6, particularly Illustrator in my case.

Interesting that none of the Adobe engineers seem to be able to reproduce our issues on their machines, isn't it?

Wondering if they work in a "sterile" environment, without the other software running in the background that we have to use as professionals?

In other words, how Real Life are their systems?

A bit disturbed that we have to jump through so many system configuration hoops to get the software to run properly. I don't know of any other professional programs that require: 1) New User Accounts 2) Stopping Web Streaming 3) Turning Off/Clearing "Appearance Attributes."  4) Repairing Permissions on First Run.

These are all indications of a poorly coded platform that doesn't play well with others in a Real World environment. Reminds me of Microsoft trying to own the Web by writing proprietary software that couldn't be viewed.

#just sayin

Tim Kenney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had these problems on my PC and thought hey, maybe there's something iffy about my PC thats causing the issues and I just can't work it out. But 2 weeks ago I purchased a late 2012 iMac with all the top of the line specs that is an extremely similar spec to my PC. The problems that existed on the PC version still exist on the Mac version. Both computers have 32gb of ram, running on SSD and RAID drives, core i7 quads, and GTX 680 video cards.

Turning off Smart Guides helps, but thats really not a solution, its one of the most important, most helpful and most used features Illustrator has released in years. As a Creative Cloud subscriber I'd be happy if they'd just let us choose to download CS5 instead of CS6. Also, it would be great if instead of blowing their funds buying Behance they'd fix their broken software. 'CS7' (but not CS7) likely coming in June I believe, I wonder if it will be improved? Highly doubting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, they cannot reporduce my video lag issue...  I will not be using CS7 unless they give me a free copy, and I won't be sending them any more files unless they promise to upgrade me for free.

I would suggest other do the same, otherwise all we are doing is free QC for them without any compensation from the hours of lost productivity.  Hit Adobe where it hurts the most: in their wallet, then watch how fast these issues get resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator definitely has a lot of work to fix the problems introduced in CS6 before it's acceptabe in CC (CS7).  "Benchmarking" CS6 is the fastest I've seen however, it is the worst performing for actual features for me.  That and of course the fact that it comes stock with PANTONE + libraries which are absolute garbage for production and "sorting" by name loses the values similar to how the books would be laid out.  I regularly use CS6 Photoshop and InDesign and they have been wonderful but CS6 Illustrator, not so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that Illustrator CC is out, has anyone compared the performance of it and CS5 and CS6? 

I tried the "Grid test" earlier in the thread with CC and everytime it hit ~1 minute it crashed with not enough memory can't preview illustrator or whatever the error is.  I never had a problem running this test in CS6. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines