• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to box deselect objects from a selection?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on creating marketing floor plans from architectural drawings done in Revit. 

Am I simply missing the shortcut to box deselect objects from a selection without reselecting new objects?

Is there an option I need to check in the settings somewhere?

Here is an example of the function I'm describing in AutoCAD:

https://autocadtips1.com/2011/08/02/deselect-objects-from-selection-set/

This is neccessary when I'm trying to move/edit/delete lines/fills (shapes) that are stacked and put them on separate layers.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Scripting , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Enthusiast , Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

You are not missing anything, that functionality doesn't exist. I would recommend making your selection and then using the layer panel to deselect the objects you don't want. You can do that by clicking the little selection circle(s) in the screenshot below. Make sure to hold down the Command key (or the Windows equivalent) so that you remove that object from the selection.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 12.41.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Hi @Trent2549556141cc, in addition to the great answer you already have, here's what I often use in cases like this. Hide Others or Lock Others. See screenshots of my Keyboard Shortcuts:

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 08.07.11.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-04 at 08.05.15.png

These are great for when I have a fiddly selection and then have to fiddle some more. I hit key for Hide Others or Lock Others (choice might depend on what I already have hidden or locked) and then I can easily alter my selection. In your case, deselect items, by just selecting them normally with a rectangular

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are looking for shortcut to deselect an object in Illustrator

On windows:

Ctrl + Shift + A

On mac:

Cmd+ Shift + A

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not at all. That deselects everything. I believe I was fairly clear of what I am trying to accomplish in my original post.

Thank you for the attempt though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If multiple objects selected, to deselect the single object, you need to press Shift key + object that you want to deselect

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not missing anything, that functionality doesn't exist. I would recommend making your selection and then using the layer panel to deselect the objects you don't want. You can do that by clicking the little selection circle(s) in the screenshot below. Make sure to hold down the Command key (or the Windows equivalent) so that you remove that object from the selection.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 12.41.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this is what I was afraid of. Unfortunately my exported drawings have hundreds of individual paths that make up the drawing. There is no feasible way to select all outlining paths of say my windows through the layers panel as you described. (Especially since I can't Shift click to select multiple  

I have found that I can use:  Select > Same > Fill and Stroke 

in order to select the appropriate linework and move/edit them from there. 

This requires an extra step of exporting to an appropriate line style from Revit the Ai can read.

Thank you for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Trent2549556141cc, in addition to the great answer you already have, here's what I often use in cases like this. Hide Others or Lock Others. See screenshots of my Keyboard Shortcuts:

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 08.07.11.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-04 at 08.05.15.png

These are great for when I have a fiddly selection and then have to fiddle some more. I hit key for Hide Others or Lock Others (choice might depend on what I already have hidden or locked) and then I can easily alter my selection. In your case, deselect items, by just selecting them normally with a rectangular marquee and either hiding or lock them, too. Then I "Select All" to get my selection back.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines