• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to lock layer selection colour (e.g. so it's always cyan)?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always change my layer selection colour to bright cyan as I often find the random colours that Illustrator assigns blend with the objects I'm drawing, whereas bright cyan is visible against most colours.

It would be very helpful if there was a function to set a default layer selection colour, so that I don't have to change it every time I create a layer.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see it as an option in the preferences, but you could make a new document, change the layer color to cyan, and then Save as Template which will save a .ait file. Then when you want a new file, go to File > New from Template... and select that template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and if you wanted every new layer to be cyan, you can duplicate your layer that is set to cyan by dragging it down to the Create New Layer icon in the Layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Myra,

Many thanks for the quick reply and info.

It's a function that I would need applied to multiple layers really. I think you're right that it is not possible. Perhaps it's something Adobe might consider for future versions as it can't be too hard to configure as a preference.

Best,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For multiple layers rather than double click on layer you can layers flyout menu >> options for selection

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 9.12.55 AM.png

and change this

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 9.13.06 AM.png

Unfortunately >.< actions in Illustrator have never been significantly updated and the best it can do is bring the menu down for you, as it does not record changing the color to cyan.

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 9.14.23 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done with an action. I've uploaded a sample action file that was created in Illustrator CS5.

new_layer_specific_colour 1.aia - Google Drive

Instruction: First set one (main) layer to Cyan (or any other colour), then use the action to create new layers above.

Note that you can assign a shortcut to the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This can be done with a script. Post in the ai script section and someone may help you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines