• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to save artboards to PDFs with layers intact and pasteboard content removed?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to save artboards to PDFs and remove pasteboard (off-artboard) conent. I'd save a PDF 1.6 with Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities unchecked. But this gets rid of my layers when reopening the PDF file in Illustrator.

I also know how to save artboards to PDFs and retain the layers. I'd save as a PDF 1.6 with Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities checked. But this file includes all of the pasteboard content when reopening the file in Illustrator.

How do I save artboards to PDFs with layers intact and pasteboard / off-artboard content removed?

Context: When I work on creating print files for projects, I like to keep one project based Illustrator file with all of the assets we'll be ordering. I then export these artboards as PDFs to send to various suppliers. I want suppliers to only see the artboard content that's applicable to them, and all of the layers for "Cut Lines" "Notes" "Artwork" etc. to be kept intact.

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

You could try to do it in 2 steps. Save As .ai, with the option to "Save each artboard to a seperate file" checked. And save the resulting files (or rename the resulting files) as .pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Liam1996 the two asks are conflciting - you can't preserve layers for editing without Illustrator Editing Capabilities on, but that also preserves the artboards and pasteboard.

This might be better as an idea to vote up as a future enhancement:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This task can possibly be automated with an action, but at least a couple of sample Illustrator files for inspection would be required in order to see if there are appropriate ways.

So, perhaps you can share some files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try to do it in 2 steps. Save As .ai, with the option to "Save each artboard to a seperate file" checked. And save the resulting files (or rename the resulting files) as .pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like this solution. The option to "Save each artboard to a separate file" combined with the option to "Create PDF Compatible File" works perfectly. It appears that the second step of renaming the files to .pdf isn't even necessary, as long as I tell the vendors that the .ai file is also PDF compatible.

Also, I didn't even know you could just rename the file extension like that. Using a tool like PowerRename, it's barely an extra step to change it to .pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that worked for you. I don't know PowerRename, but Adobe Bridge has also renaming capabilities of entire folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton, are you sure you understand the initial request? I assume you do, but I'm not quite sure.

Or I'm not sure if I understand it according to your 2-step-solution that does not do what Liam is looking for, at least as far as I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I do understand it.

There is a file with multiple artboards, each artboard has one or more layers and outside the artboards there are objects.

Saving the file as .ai with the "each artboard as a separate .ai file" option keeps the layers in each file and gets rid of the content outside the artboards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Examples:

Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 22.48.32.pngScreenshot 2023-03-03 at 22.58.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it doesnt if you save as PDF (OP original request) when you go back to Illustrator to edit.

Original: 2 artboards, 2 layers with elements outside the artboard.

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1677880861013.png

Save as PDF using Artboards and preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities:

kevinstohlmeyer_2-1677880893087.png

kevinstohlmeyer_3-1677880904969.png

Open PDF in AI to edit and while layers are preserved, so is everything else.

Retaining layers means keeping everything. No way to parse the two requests.

kevinstohlmeyer_4-1677880980420.png

I've had this issue for years saving PDF with Illustarator editing capabilities - it makes for a much larger PDF because it keeps everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ton Frederiks so you're suggesting saving out as separate AI files then convert to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is why I do it in 2 steps.

First save as Illustrator file with each artboard to a separate Illustrator file.

The resulting Illustrator files do not have anything outside the artboard (with the exception of stuff partly in an outside the artboard) but keep the layers.

Just save those as PDF with Illustrator Editing checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can still imagine some ways without having to first save to separate files and then probably combining them again (in case we are talking about multiple artboard files at all).

That's why I suggested to share some sample files to look at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines