• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Isometric art- improving the workflow :)

Participant ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

If you love isometric art as much as I do then you'll doubtless be familiar with Illustrator's perspective grids, 3D Extrude and Bevel/Rotate and even have your own set of Actions for iso transforms.

I've been dipping back in to it lately with some nice results (see image below) and it occurred to me that there's got to be a better way to produce iso art in AI than using the 3D stuff piecemeal?

To explain: I'm looking for a method that allows one to plan a layout flat, say based on a grid, and have elements extruded up from that grid to different heights in iso perspective.

Currently the flat plan bears a weird relationship to the extruded elements and all your objects have to be the same height of extrusion!

Anyone know of a good process/tutorial that achieves what I'm after?

Below: flat plan with a (dotted) square perimeter object that retains the relative positioning of all objects within the same Group.
This square can be hidden or shown but even hidden it preserve the relative positioning of the two coloured squares within the flat grid base.

Below: Same with the whole Group extruded.

Below: the blue path and grey island are two objects easily extruded in iso but the coloured towers had to be manually repositioned (not ideal).

hex pattern maker 2019 tm 1000x2074.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines