Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Isometric mode not really isometric

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Does anyone know why the isometric mode in Illustrator isn't at 30 degrees like isometric should be?

It's slightly off, which makes it a nightmare to work with if you want pixelperfect results.

See attachment, there's a line at 30 degrees, and a square where isometric perspective is applied.

The sides of the square should be at 30 degrees, but there are not.

Why Adobe?!

Illustrator-isometricmode.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Try changing the Y axis to 35,264389

See this discussion from 2016 :https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2243469

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mario,

What happens if you hold Ctrl/Cmd and press E?

This will toggle between GPU and CPU, the former is faster, but sometimes it moves in mysterious ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

nothing really changes if I do that, it's still off.

It's really easy to replicate though, just draw a line, rotate it 30 degrees, then take a square and apply isometric top, try to allign them and you'll see the square (which should be at 30 degrees) is off. Why is that? This has been bothering me for years 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happens when you take other isometric planes btw!

Lets say you want isometric left or right. Again take a square and apply isometric left or right. Your vertical lines should stay vertical, but they don't for some odd reason I don't understand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another example, this time with an isometric right perspective applied to a square shape.

Both vertical lines (the vertical line and the left side of the square) should stay perfectly vertical, but again the isometric shape is off.

Any idea's why?

Illustrator-isometricmode2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming that you're talking about the 3D (Classic) effect here, the new 3D effect has more accurate isometric presets. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

Yes, I'm talking about the 3D Classic effect. The new 3D effect indeed has more accurate isometric presets (Y=35,264° vs. Y=35° for classic 3D), but they don't work.

The new 3D is just as bad as the classic and you will get identical results like the images I posted above (which are made with the classic 3D effect). On top of that with the new 3D function you will get a lot of unnecessary extra shapes if you expand it to wireframes. I use the "Plane" function, so there's no extrusion, but if you expand that to wireframes a simple square gives you 6 shapes (2 squares and 4 lines), why Adobe?

This whole 3D function is pretty messy and inaccurate to be honest 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new preset seems much more accurate to me, testing the two side-by-side. I can see a deviation from a 30 degree line with the old effect, but not the new.

Yes, expanding the new effect is not very useful, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't seem very accurate to me.

See below, a square with isometric right preset applied, and a vertical line.

Notice how the vertical line and the left side of the square aren't parrallel?

This shoudn't happen

Illustrator-isometricmode3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My test looks correct. Are you sure the old effect isn't applied to that object? Check the appearance panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm 100% sure Doug, I would love to see your file.

FYI: you have to test this on a rather big shapes to see it, the square in the image above is 5000x5000 pixels, it harder to notice with small objects, I assume you tested this with a small object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see a difference in angle using 'Render as Vector' in the 3D options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Doug.

Hallelujah, 'Render as Vector' does seem to make a difference!

I'm still not sure why I get 6 individual shapes when trying to render a square, but at least it seems accurate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the shapes it creates. It's not made a square, but a very tiny extrusion resulting in a 6-sided shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost the same with the Classic effect, 5 points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I've ever looked at the result of expanding a 3D rotated square. A clip group with an open path in it, odd.

The new 3D effect > Rotate/Plane however is still generating a 3D > Extrude object, just a very thin one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's indeed odd. 

In classic 3D when you expand you will get a group, within that group you will find a clip group, within the clip group you will find another group. and in that group you will find an open path for a square?! (seriously Adobe, why you make this so complex?)

In the new 3D mode when you expand you will also get a group. and in that group you will find 6 paths.

This would make sense if the 3D actually had a depth, but we are talking about the plane mode which is flat?! 

This all seems unnecessary, complex and time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Classic 3D is easily fixed with Pathfinder Unite, it will create a single closed 4 points shape. An action that creates a Classic isometric top object (with the correct precision), expands the Appearance and applies a Pathfinder Unite can quickly give you a clean isometric object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the Y axis to 35,264389

See this discussion from 2016 :https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2243469

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 35,264389 angle seems to work better with the Classic 3D effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton for linking to the discussion from 2016 and the 35.264389° tip.

Changing the Y manually in the classic 3D to 35.264389° does seem to work. Funny enough Illustrator seems to change it to "35.26°" and when you press "OK" and go back to the 3D window there's just "35°" there? Very confusing...

I'm a bit surprised and dissapointed that doing isometric work is still such a time consuming mess in Illustrator.

I do a lot of intricate isometric work and I approach it in a modular Lego-like way, so when something isn't 100% accurate it becomes just plain frustrating to work with, similar like 1 Lego block wouldn't fit on another one.

I actually switched over to Affinity Designer for all my isometric needs, the isometric mode in Affinity Designer is brilliant, it's fast, 100% accurate and actually a joy to work with and I can just copy/paste it into illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a big fan of this plugin for isometric drawing:

https://rj-graffix.com/product/axotools-plugin/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the plugin tip Doug, looks interesting.

Still, kind of sad to see that we need to pay for a 3rd party plugin because Adobe can't make a decent isometric mode themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is rounding, but when you make a graphic style, it looks like the precision is kept and the Classic version gives less objects after expanding; a path and a clipping mask (and keeps the fill color instead of an non native object).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines