• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with importing an SVG file into Illustrator

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having trouble importing an SVG file into Illustrator. When I open it in any browser, everything appears fine, but when I import it into Illustrator, some of the colors do not appear correctly. I've provided screenshots and the SVG file below.

Is this an issue with the SVG file or with my Illustrator? How do I solve it?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Raofin,

Sorry to hear about this experience and thanks for sharing the file. When trying to open the SVG file, a warning message appears "Clipping will be lost on roundtrip to Tiny." 

This indicates the file is based on SVG Tiny, a subset of SVG intended for use with mobile devices such as cell phones. It does not support certain constructs, among them clipping masks.

I would suggest you open this SVG in a web browser and then use the print command to save it as a PDF, and then open that PDF in Illustrator and check if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some layers become non-scalable after saving as PDF.Screenshot-086.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The paths are there. You could just add color to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be a proper solution for this. I have more files like this, and I can't manually fix all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try and open them in Inkscape.

If they are interpreted correctly, save them as default SVG (not the Inkscape special version of SVG and not Tiny).

Then try and open in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work and still receiving that same warning "Clipping will be lost on roundtrip to Tiny".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you save as something other than tiny? Tiny is ages old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is "Tiny"?!
I tried both SVG options available in inkscape (Inkscape SVG & Plain SVG). None of them work.Screenshot-088.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tiny is an SVG flavour.

Which application did you use to create those SVGs? Are those your working files?

When using Illustrator, SVG is not a working file format and should not be used as such. SVG is for exporting purposes only and then not to be opened again in Illustrator. The working file format should be the native AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made them in Canva. Unfortunately, SVG is the only scalable export option there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then Canva probably is not the best tool to start with and you have to go the route Anubhav described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines