Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 336 Replies 336
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jacob. I just don't get to see fruit trees. One of the things we left behind, all those years ago. But we found other delights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More tonight

521EC0F1-1E64-4507-A95D-021765CB7A35.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you will share it, hopefully reaching multiple inches (and, with a bit of luck, enough to cause annoyance in the streets), Jane; still pondering over the elusive reflexions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

Last night we had just finished the Ginsberg movie and dinner and I was heading back to my car on the third floor or the parking garage when I turned around and snapped that photo with my phone. No processing, so when you figure out the reflections, you can tell me! I have been practicing reflections since the rainy day bridge photo in SFTW (Re: Something for the weekend - Part 50 - In the summer time!), but not in my previous post.

We got six more inches of snow last night, with up to six more expected today. I took this next one early this morning. Yes, the Commonwealth of Virginia has declared a state of emergency because drivers here can’t drive in the snow or rain or sun.

Cheers,

Jane

988DF072-E291-4389-BB22-717260B7D17A.jpeg

FA9EB2E4-B49F-4752-B150-365987A94EC1.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

The reflexions are rather vague and large, so I found it difficult to imagine which shapes were seen; I understand them better as belonging to such a building; I was imagining an apartment (which would have been a rather empty and large one).

The following photos are much more homely. Which kind(s) of tress?

I can understand that Virginian drivers may be best avoided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

The shopping center is fairly new, replacing a worn out movie theater and large equipement rental center. There is “smart” parking with multi-levels, a nice movie theater and an emphasis on unique or small chains for the restaurants and shops. There are apartments on top of the shops as well as a section for townhouses. Some of my other pictures show the outdoor movie screen. It’s silent except for Friday nights in the summer when they have free outdoor movies.

Here is a zoomed out photo of the Japanese maple in my front yard. To the left is my crepe myrtle and the other trees are behind my neighbors house in a yard that backs up to theirs. I was standing inside my house with the front door open. This one is not as interesting, I think, as the other that I posted, but it becomes more interesting when kids climb it, especially in the dark.

The other was taken from an upstairs window and you see two purple leaf plums.

IMG_3940.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the yew from The Grotto in

Re: Something for the weekend - Part 51 - Merry Christmas!

almost in full,

and the whole set of three (out of our four) different kinds of yews (and a mock orange to the left; further down to the left are (a fringe of) the largest cherry tree and a cherry laurel beside another (kind of) mock orange; to the right are maples (large) and elms (slender)), only today with less white stuff, no photoshopping, the only (faint) reflexions being in the slush ice,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very pretty, Jacob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trunks/branches partially covered can give rise to striking compositions and subtle differences and transitions, as in your second one in post #253, Jane, with the thick and dark grey maple and the slender reddish myrtles, and the shadings in the white stuff; am I seeing things or is it still building up?

Unfortunately, the cover up is frail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jealous...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be lost any day, with frost only half the time for the next week and mostly dry weather.

So far there has been a one day winter four weeks ago and two days now in this otherwise endless autumn spring.

How bad has it been there, Ton?

The last rose of summer, and a topping on what would have been some 18 inches/45 cm had it been white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing over here, a little that lasted half a day a month ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is here too.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton,

An exquisite proof that three words can be worth a thousand pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's enough fencing—let's discuss this seriously! Seriously, we've recently gone through the longest cold spell here in decades, but we're now in a melting phase that will be well over a week long before it's over.

And let it never be said that I ever used four or five words where sixty or seventy would do.

And thanks, Ton. My evening is now much improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a promise of up to 16 inches for many days, all we have are 1 inch and an immediate threat of thaw and noshowfall for days.

Proof prints:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we have only had a light dusting in Düsseldorf..... and I so happy that it has not lasted.  Sure it is pretty... but I am so not a snow person any more.  I blame living in NYC.... it is pretty for an hour in the morning but as soon as the city starts buzzing it becomes one big grey glob of slush......

My dog however, loves running in snow as much as he does sand.  Me... not so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

K,

I quite understand: cities are less nice to it, hence less nice in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A view from the kitchen window this morning:

Snow Mass_1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have it all, Jane.

Over here it is currently 50°, no show forecast for the rest of the month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we have it all — both snow and cold! This is fresh powder on top of last week’s snow. At 10:00 AM, it is 27°F.

EDIT: Plus ice, we have that, too, Jacob. It’s a thin, invisible layer at the bottom of the snow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the most whitish since last winter, so no show so far in the endless autumn.

How about yous?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure it is not, Ton.

Each of those is a small ball of hard water, hence only whitish, luckily no insulation balls gone with the wind.

No show there either?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing this "winter", Jacob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines