• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Justify text evenly along a path in illustrator (clockface)

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to find a way to distribute characters evenly along a path in illustrator.

I want to draw a clockface with every 5 minutes marked with text (ie 5,10,15...). I've drawn an circle, and selected type on a path and typed the numbers. I cant find an option to evenly space each number along the whole path.

Is there a way I can do that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The spacing is mathematically not even, so just using path text won't work. The best way to approach such stuff is to subdivide the circle, then place normal text around it that snaps to the anchor points. A bit of a hacky alternative could be to use the graph tools and create a faux pie chart with labeling, but that has precision issues just as well.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you How do I subdivide the circle? What is the name of the feature that does that?

What if I made 60 "|" along a path - is there a tool to evenly justify those characters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may help. Start with a circle.

Turn on Smart Guides, and draw a line segment between the top anchor point of the circle and the center point.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 1.26.26 PM.png

Choose the Rotate tool. Option/Alt click the center point of the circle to open the Rotate dialog. Set the Angle to 360/12 and click Copy to copy the line segment as you're rotating it 30 degrees. Choose Object > Transform > Transform Again (Cmd/Ctrl-D) repeat copies of the segment around the circle.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 1.27.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 1.27.25 PM.png

With the Type tool, click an insertion point above the circle (Alignment = Centered) and enter 12. Use the same rotation method to rotate the number 30 degrees around the circle from the center.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 1.29.07 PM.png

Edit the numbers.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 1.41.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like want different numbers than I did, and maybe you don't' need the line segments, which you could delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Melanie,

If you wish something like this, you can do it accurately with a 1 step fake Blend and a Dashed line with a Distort & Transform Effect, combined.

Click/RightClick to get closer, and Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines