• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large file won't place as link in Illustrator – "Try Replacing this with another valid link"

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to place a linked file onto my Illustrator artboard and everytime that I try to place it I get the following pop up after it tries to place. I've dragged the file from my desktop onto the page and it allows me to embed the file, but when I try to "unembed" and link the file, I get the same message that "illustrator cannot read the file. Try to replacing this with another valid link"

I have resaved the file as a different color format in PSD to see if that would help, it didn't. I also tried restarting. Uninstalling illustrator and reinstalling it. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Print and publish , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

So this worked for me, Open the Raster File in Ilustrator (.TIF in my case), copy paste into the other .AI doc. Then I went into Links and tried to re-link to the big .tif file and do it as a link instead of imbeded, and it worked so far. Adobe Illustrator 2021 PC, placed file is 773 mb CMYK tiff, No Alpha.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

What fixed it is downgrading to version 25.0 – I finally placed a png file without any issues. I believe this shouldn't be a problem in version 27.0 and up, but I'm still on an older OS so this was the only option for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is currently an issue with embedded images and opacity masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines