Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

layers become empty when exporting to PDF, after embedding images

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I have created a document for some large-ish packaging (735mm x 530mm) in Adobe Illustrator. I have 3 layers: Markup, dieline & artwork. I am ready to save as a PDF for the printer, and so I follow my normal procedure of outlining all text, embedding images and saving as PDF using my custom settings. When I open the PDF in Acrobat the dieline and markup layers are suddenly empty. 
I have tried a few different exports and can confirm that the issue only presents after I embed the images. If i save the PDF before embedding the images, then it saves thecontent in the dieline and markup layers properly. Outling the text doesnt affect it. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening, or even better how to fix this?

cheers,
Rachel.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images get embedded into a PDF automatically when exporting a PDF. You do not need to do that.

But if you do it: how are you doing it? Are there clipping masks applied or something?

Please show a screenshot that includes the Layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, 
Thankyou for your response.
This was how I was shown to save out PDF files for print, many years back. Outline all, embed any linked images and then save.
I select the images in the links panel and then from the dropdown at the top I select embed. I have included a screengrab showing this. I have been doing it this way for years without any problem, which is why I was so surprised when this issue appeared!
Do you have any thoughts about why it might be happening on this occasion?
cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-click on each of the non-exporting layers in the Layers Panel. In the Layers Options dialog window that pops up make sure that "Print" is checked.

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 5.27.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bill, 
Thankyou for your response.
print is definitely turned on for all three layers. Do you have any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines