Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Letter "N" symbol instead of hyphen when hyphenation is activated

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have a problem with a certain file. After first auto activation of a font, the hyphen character is replaced by a "N". When we then close the file, not Illustrator, so fonts stay active and simply reopen the file, the hyphen is displayed correctly.

We use Connect Fonts for fontmanagement, but apparently the problem is on the Adobe side (according to Extensis)

How can we prevent this? 

Kind regards,

Brecht

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you also have the problem, when you turn off the fontmanagement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No, when I install the font locally, I don't have the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case the font management could be the cause of your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As expected, font management is looking to Adobe where the problem is...

Our plugin is only designed to identify what fonts are used in the document, check if they are available within the available font libraries and then activate them to the system. We do not have any influence on how the fonts are displayed on screen, this is controlled by the built-in graphics engine in Illustrator.

So, maybe a glitch in how Illustrators copes with fonts activated by Connect Fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to report that to https://illustrator.uservoice.com and have the engineers of both parties check that out among them. 

Illustrator has not been working well with font management for as long as I've been using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, just posted the bug on the uservoice website.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font is this, and what language install are you running eg: English USA.  Can we see a screenshot with the "n" selected and character & paragraph palettes expanded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the font is Gotham Condensed. We're using International English as install language.

2024-04-18_8-45-23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be better off activating the font in your font management program > restart > then open Illustrator first ( this should load the font in start-up ) > then open the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, indeed, this would work. But auto activation is one of the reasons why we use a specific font management tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Brecht,

we are having the same issue. (See screenshot).

The font is GothamRounded Book. We where using Fonts Connect, but the same problem exists when using RightFont (and probably others). 

We use the Dutch (Nederlands) hyphenation library.

Closing the file and re-opening also solves the problem because the font already is active when opening for the second time.

This is a font related problem, because this never happens with other fonts. I will also add the font info.

Did you receive any news from Adobe yet?

Kind regards

Peter Hebbinckuys

Belgium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @peterhebbinckuys,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I tried replicating this on my end but was unable to. Would you mind manually turning off the Font Management program and installing the font to check if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anubhav,

Thanks for your reaction.

In deed uninstalling the Font managment, of turning off auto-activation helps for sure.

If you in any way activate the font manually in advance (with or without font managment program), the problem does not manifest itself.

It's always in combination with autoactivation from a font manager.

This also means that if you open the file and the font gets auto activated, and you close and re-open the document a second time, the problem dissapears because the font was activated on the moment that you open the document the first time.

If you want, I can send you the files over a private link for testing.

Kind regards

Peter 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @peterhebbinckuys

I would greatly appreciate it if you could share the file along with a short video of your workflow. This will help us understand the issue better and find a solution more efficiently. Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Srishti,

Can you provide me a private upload link since our customer would not approve it to share their files publically.

Kind regards

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can upload the file to a service like Creative Cloud or Dropbox and then share the download link via DM. To send a DM, just click on my name to open my profile, and you'll see the option to send a message there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines