• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MAC PLATFORM - HELP WITH UNIVERS FONT NOT SHOWING UP IN ADOBE (ILLUSTRATOR / INDD)

New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you in advance for answering. I am beating my head against the wall. Univers is not showing up in my adobe programs, so I've been trying to add Univers again. It shows up in FontBook fine with no errors but I can't seem to get it to add to illustrator or indd. I've dragged it into the CC app and says an error when I try to do it manually there. I've had the font on my computer for a long time, never a problem. Just tested it in Word and it works fine, but who wants to design something in word?

Any help is much appreciated. KK

TOPICS
Bug , How-to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of font is it? If it's a PostScript Type 1 font, then it's over for it. They are not supported anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are bang on, that was it. What a shame. Thank you for helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I found this after the post above. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little surprising there isn't a version of Univers (or a look-alike "clone") available to sync via the Adobe Fonts service. The most similar type family available at Adobe Fonts is New Haas Unica, which is a style hybrid of Helvetica and Univers. There are "clones" of Univers, such as the "Zurich BT" family by Bitstream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. What would Adrian think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure that Adrian Frutiger was not very fond of Bitsream. During the type wars in the 90ies, most reputable font designers hated them, because what they did might have been legal, but still was regarded as bad style in the type designer community. Also their fonts were considered bad quality back then.

His brithday would be tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bitstream was far from the only offender. URW and numerous other companies have made identical looking digital clones of well known typefaces. The law basically said a type designer can't copyright or trademark a letter shape, but they can do so with the name of the typeface. I've seen a lot of look-alike fonts since the early 1990's. The ones from Bitstream weren't great by today's standards of big character sets and lots of advanced typographical features. But they were drawn a good bit more cleanly than the fonts in some truly junky retail packages sold in computing and office supply stores back then. Some of those fonts were really messy and crude, almost as if they had been auto-traced.

There is also the issue of various type companies releasing their own flavors of a well-known typeface. Take Futura for instance. There are versions of it from Linotype, URW, Neufville Digital, ParaType, Elsner+Flake, Bitstream (of course) and others. Then there are variations like Futura Maxi, Futura Futuris, Futura Headline, Futura Text, etc. I really like Variable Fonts so I bought a copy of Futura Now when Monotype introduced it (and a big price discount was available).

None of these variants of Futura line up perfectly with each other if you superimpose the letters. One foundry's take on Futura Book isn't going to be exactly the same as another. If they were perfectly identical, such as one company simply copying another company's font data and renaming it, then there would be serious legal trouble. It would fall into the area of software piracy. These slight differences between fonts of the same name can be a real hazard if you're doing something like replacing damaged letters on a lighted channel letter building sign and you don't have the original art files. It's possible those Futura letters up there on the building were from a Bitstream variant bundled into CorelDRAW. Linotype's cut of Futura is also very common, as is the one from URW. The problem is compounded worse by people artificially distorting the letters out of their normal proportions (a practice I really dislike). In many instances we're forced to make patterns and hand cut the replacement letter faces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, sure. I remember some Type conferences where they were really mad at URW on the stage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

URW clone fonts were bundled into applications like CorelDRAW, Macromedia Freehand and Deneba Canvas. I remember getting a legit copy of Canvas in a computing magazine (back then some of these magazines would include CDs with software). The application came with 2000 URW fonts. Nimbus Sans pretty much imitated the entire Helvetica Neue family. There was a bunch of ITC and Letraset copycats in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines